The 6-number sequence as it stands

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Waz wrote:phaelam, what you said would make sense if the complaint was "this isn't happening quickly enough". But that isn't the complaint. Nobody said that, or gave any reason to come to that conclusion. The complaint is that it would be more fun if there was a puzzle to solve, instead of it being a gotta catch 'em all thing.

do you know exactly what is going on? if so fill us in.
if not...roll with it. it may be a puzzle, it may just be a time killer.
whatever it is....its fun and is most likely signifying a new grip of music. isnt that what you want?

if not....then...

side note:
Waz wrote:phaelam, what you said would make sense if the complaint was "this isn't happening quickly enough".

a lot of have actually been complaining about how things arent coming fast enough.

New Seed
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
Sicilian Night wrote:
Liquorice Facet wrote:
Sicilian Night wrote:This is more of an Easter egg hunt than a puzzle - one where we know we'll get all the eggs regardless.

I doubt the brothers are very much involved in this. I mean, these are the same guys who sped up a clip of a woman screaming to make the "s" sound of a word in a backwards subliminal message. A bit below their level no?

Idunno, there was something of a puzzle element to the portion found on this website. They could've made the mystery more complicated and harder to crack, I'm sure, though I think the entire angle of this event was to alert the fans that something's going on in the studio, while simultaneously getting the interest of outsiders that aren't familiar with the BoC vibes and mythos.

Yeah I think the main issue here is that if they were to do something truly cryptic, well, there's no telling how long it would take for us to figure it out. Not the best way to release an album after a 7 year silence.

what? why not? this is absolutely a blast.
quit being so impatient. savor this...cuz when its done its done.
and you all KNOW that some of you guys will be bitching about something once its out.
there are those WHINING to get it right away....that will put it on once...then be off scrambling to the next thing.
this is really fun...enjoy being part of the experience. not many albums are handled this way....if any.
you want mystery....but you want it served up instantly.
take it in. this could be the one and only time something like this happens.

thank computers/internet for robbing everyone of their attention spans.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant making something overly cryptic and non-obvious would be a bad way to go about it, hence the "Easter egg hunt". I agree that this is a pretty unique way to release an album, and it definitely has me excited. But at the end of the day I'm a selfish baby and just want me my music.

Friendly Stranger
I think you're just finding ways to declare yourself Mr. Cool and Patient. Nobody cares, man.

Friendly Stranger
re-phaelam-ed wrote:do you know exactly what is going on? if so fill us in.
Can't you just wait? Why so impatient?

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sicilian Night wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
Sicilian Night wrote:
Liquorice Facet wrote:
Sicilian Night wrote:This is more of an Easter egg hunt than a puzzle - one where we know we'll get all the eggs regardless.

I doubt the brothers are very much involved in this. I mean, these are the same guys who sped up a clip of a woman screaming to make the "s" sound of a word in a backwards subliminal message. A bit below their level no?

Idunno, there was something of a puzzle element to the portion found on this website. They could've made the mystery more complicated and harder to crack, I'm sure, though I think the entire angle of this event was to alert the fans that something's going on in the studio, while simultaneously getting the interest of outsiders that aren't familiar with the BoC vibes and mythos.

Yeah I think the main issue here is that if they were to do something truly cryptic, well, there's no telling how long it would take for us to figure it out. Not the best way to release an album after a 7 year silence.

what? why not? this is absolutely a blast.
quit being so impatient. savor this...cuz when its done its done.
and you all KNOW that some of you guys will be bitching about something once its out.
there are those WHINING to get it right away....that will put it on once...then be off scrambling to the next thing.
this is really fun...enjoy being part of the experience. not many albums are handled this way....if any.
you want mystery....but you want it served up instantly.
take it in. this could be the one and only time something like this happens.

thank computers/internet for robbing everyone of their attention spans.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant making something overly cryptic and non-obvious would be a bad way to go about it, hence the "Easter egg hunt". I agree that this is a pretty unique way to release an album, and it definitely has me excited. But at the end of the day I'm a selfish baby and just want me my music.

so then wait....at least youre getting a heads up.
otherwise youd be sitting at home not even considering a new boc record.
now you know one might be coming.....wait for it. youll get it.
the best things are werked for..not handed to you.

Friendly Stranger
Honestly, I'm not so sure there is going to be anything to solve once we have all 6. Then again, I'm not totally caught up on the math or potential reasoning behind these numbers, so I could be completely wrong. However, beggars can't be choosers, so I don't agree with the people who think this is kind of gimmicky and that there should be more of a "secret code" involved. Sure, it would be just like BoC to have a message to decrypt, but this whole thing (NPR, adultswim, the Warp building, vinyls, etc.) is already just like them. No other artists are doing anything as interesting as this for a record release, and quite frankly, BoC are one of the only few who can simply due to the nature of their music.

We're all eager to hear some new music, and sure we might even be a little impatient, but that's no reason to try and justify your impatience by going against this whole thing. Phaelam is right in saying that this makes waiting for a new album much more exciting as opposed to not knowing anything at all.

EDIT: But I DO think there is going to be a use for the numbers, because otherwise they don't really serve a purpose. I see it more as a password as opposed to a message within the actual numbers themselves.
Last edited by hamhax on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friendly Stranger
hamhax wrote:No other artists are doing anything as interesting as this for a record release, and quite frankly, BoC are one of the only few who can simply due to the nature of their music.
This sort of thing goes on all the time, that's why there's a term for it: ARG.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19346_th ... games.html

There's nothing wrong with people saying that they hope it's something better than just collecting a bunch of numbers like chumps. People want to get involved and not feel like they've just been victims of a promotion. People want to be curious and for the numbers to be things they can decode; there's no need to be defensive about that just because it's your favourite band or whatever. There's already enough people in this world who shoot people down for providing constructive criticism. That sort of behavior encourages culture and art that is dull and insipid.

Friendly Stranger
Waz wrote:This sort of thing goes on all the time, that's why there's a term for it: ARG.

I wouldn't say "all the time", and I'm talking about music artists. I'm aware that this kind of thing happens a lot with games and movies, but I've not seen many when it comes to a new album. But hey, that's just me.

Again, I'd say something like this doesn't happen a whole lot, because it just doesn't work for everything and takes a lot of time and effort.

Eagle Minded
Waz wrote:
hamhax wrote:No other artists are doing anything as interesting as this for a record release, and quite frankly, BoC are one of the only few who can simply due to the nature of their music.
This sort of thing goes on all the time, that's why there's a term for it: ARG.

There's nothing wrong with people saying that they hope it's something better than just collecting a bunch of numbers like chumps. People want to get involved and not feel like they've just been victims of a promotion. People want to be curious and for the numbers to be things they can decode; there's no need to be defensive about that just because it's your favourite band or whatever. There's already enough people in this world who shoot people down for providing constructive criticism. That sort of behavior encourages culture and art that is dull and insipid.

Regardless of what it is, it's still more interactive than any other album release I've witnessed. When we opened the Twoism Banner and found the A/B Wav files and had to put them together in our own music programs to get the 5ht clue.... I mean, that was super fun and very interactive. If you flip back a bunch of pages, you can see all the fun we had figuring it out. I'm grateful for whatever they throw at us. I'm super stoked that more BoC music is finally on it's way, period.

And I don't think it's necessarily the criticism in your posts. It seems more that the general tone is negative. This is a pretty positive forum. Let's keep that vibe.
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Dayvan Cowboy
Elexen++

Friendly Stranger
I come back from work and it seems everybody is bummed out, defeated, over it. The most solid shred of any clue out of today is The Numbers Station "pause" featuring John Cusack?!

I think the Warp/A-dult Swim promo with the desert driving means "get your asses back out to Yermo!" Ha!

A monkey will be out there hand cranking the 6th marketing clue.

Friendly Stranger
Waz wrote:There's nothing wrong with people saying that they hope it's something better than just collecting a bunch of numbers like chumps. People want to get involved and not feel like they've just been victims of a promotion. People want to be curious and for the numbers to be things they can decode; there's no need to be defensive about that just because it's your favourite band or whatever. There's already enough people in this world who shoot people down for providing constructive criticism. That sort of behavior encourages culture and art that is dull and insipid.

In no way was I trying to shoot anyone down, lol, I was only offering my two cents.

Eagle Minded
Thought it was interesting that each of the numbers modulo 6 returns a different result (the only possible outputs are 0 through 5):

4 1 0 5 x 3

Could be a clue about the nature of the numbers.

New Seed
<disregard>
Has anyone tried running the audio through MetaSynth to see if there is any lurking images by chance?
Last edited by pbot on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Seed
When converting the numbers to Hex Colors, there is certainly alot of green returned.

New Seed

Sherbet Head
tradica wrote:Image

Huh?

Friendly Stranger
pbot wrote:When converting the numbers to Hex Colors, there is certainly alot of green returned.

Yeah, when they were plotted out like that in a visual form, and knowing that the middle 2 digits of a hex color code control the green, it has me thinking about patterns within the numbers themselves. All very high middle values (which would bring us all that green in those RRGGBB color codes),

69 97 42 / 62 83 15 / 71 72 28 / 93 65 57 / ------ / 51 92 25

1st pair of each number: 69, 62, 71, 93, 51 (51-93) mid range

2nd pair of each number: 97, 83, 72, 65, 92 (65-97) high range

3rd pair of each number: 42, 15, 28, 57, 25 (15-57) low range

There's gotta be something to that. I just don't know what.

(Also, no zeros.)
Last edited by globochem on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friendly Stranger
What if the numbers were just the "name" of the new album? And they made us collect all of them just to find this out....

Friendly Stranger
Metropolis wrote:What if the numbers were just the "name" of the new album? And they made us collect all of them just to find this out....

On that Fiona Apple tip?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada