Tomorrow's Harvest Alternative Track Listing Theory

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/fO1DxW2uY1/

^ MP3 of Alternative Track Listing

Originally I tried to post this to Reddit, but they don't seem to want it -

The thread ‘Tomorrow’s Harvest Key Twin Secret’ on twoism.org shows the idea (not an unfamiliar idea to anyone on these forums) that the album has a pairs or ‘twins’ theme behind it e.g. Gemini (the twins constellation) and most importantly - what was mentioned by one of the brothers in an interview, the idea that ‘Come To Dust’ is a reprise of ‘Reach For The Dead’, and that ‘Collapse’ is a palindrome of itself (the same played forwards of backwards). They also say Gemini and Semena Mertvykh are linked, but I’m struggling to find the interview in which they mention how.

This being said, as confirmed by the brothers, it would appear tracks 01.Gemini and 17.Semena Mertvykh are ‘twinned’, as are 02.Reach For The Dead and 16.Come To Dust. Following this suit, treating track 9 as the ‘middle’, the opposing song is the twin track. AKA 3 and 15, 4 and 14, 5 and 13 etc. Track 9 remains unpaired and is significant because it is a palindrome of itself, it needs no pair because it is the same played forwards or backwards.

So,
Optic from twoism.org said:

‘At the end of the reach for the dead video, there are those two spheres that divide from the sun, while the original sphere looks like it's fading (dying?)…could it be that all of the twins are derived from the outliers (the "special" tracks) in form and/or structure? .’

Justin from twoism.org said:

‘You're on to something ... At 4:27 or 20 seconds till RFD ends the Lights divide in the video. If you press play for Come To Dust at the 4:27 mark of RFD both songs overlap and fade into each other perfectly and exactly at the end of RFD the drums should kick in for Come To Dust. This also holds the same for the other matching tracks. They are twins.’

This is an old thread, and I’ve had a root through and I can’t see that anyone has done it, so I’ve taken the liberty of arranging the alternate track listing and I’ve overlapped the tracks so they crossfade into each other (the real beauty of it). (link at top of post)

Now this is where things get a bit scatty -

I figured like with a lot of BOC’s secrets and codes, and any good puzzle, there should be definite rules. The problem with syncing these tracks is where to begin crossing over/ mixing into each other. So, as Optic and Justin mentioned, at 4:27 of the Reach For The Dead video, as the single sun parts into three, leaving the middle/ original sun to die and the two either side to shine bright, this is where I began playing Come To Dust, (and it syncs beautifully) this is exactly 20 seconds before the song ends. So, as my rule for crossing over the ‘twinned’ songs, I started playing the corresponding twin-song 20 seconds before the ‘first’ song ended. No one has spoken much of the Reach For The Dead video; maybe it’s been holding the key (the timing of the parting suns) to unlocking the biggest secret of the album?

For arguments sake, I decided to use the 20-second rule for the tracks that are not twinned, but would naturally follow if the twin rule applied, (e.g. Gemini and Semena Mertvykh are twinned, therefore Reach For the Dead and Come To Dust follow.)

The alternate track listing sits like this -
    1. Gemini
    2. Semena Mertvykh
    3. Reach For The Dead
    4. Come To Dust
    5. White Cyclosa
    6. New Seeds
    7. Jacquard Causeway
    8. Sundown
    9. Telepath
    10. Nothing Is Real
    11. Cold Earth
    12. Uritual
    13. Transmisiones Ferox
    14. Split Your Infinities
    15. Sick Times
    16. Palace Posy
    17. Collapse

So, “did this all work out?” you’re probably thinking… Well, yes and no. Some of the songs sit together as if they were undoubtedly intended to be sewn together, but others, not so much. The best moments in the whole thing are -

* The first sweeping noise (2:40) at the end of Gemini runs into Semena’s first volume rise perfectly. Also, where Gemini ends abruptly when RFTD follows, there is an abrupt stop, whereas when it is synced with Semena the abrupt stop vanishes.
* Reach for the Dead and Come To Dust works beautifully, one simply leads into the other; where RFTD drops in volume CTD rises
* Telepath and Nothing Is Real works very well, the volume of NIR rises at the very end of Telepath.

However, some things that don’t work so well are -

* The rhythm of White Cyclosa sounds a bit messy when leading into New Seeds
* After Jacquard’s Causeway, the first note of Sundown creates dissonance. Though does sound like the whirring of an old tape?
* Cold Earth and Uritual doesn’t sound so great
* No real ‘connection’ with Transimsions ferox and Split your infinities

The songs I haven’t mentioned in either list work together, but aren’t as distinctive as those listed above.

I don’t believe in this 100%, but I think it’s certainly interesting. Though I feel if there was a big ‘master-plan’ behind this album it would be more definitive that this… no loose ends.

BOC have mentioned there are more secrets in Tomorrow’s Harvest than anything they’ve made before… We’re nowhere near done with the hidden codes of this album.

Any thoughts?

Eagle Minded
ryanhewitt wrote:I don’t believe in this 100%, but I think it’s certainly interesting. Though I feel if there was a big ‘master-plan’ behind this album it would be more definitive that this… no loose ends.

Are you familiar with the chiasmus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiasmus

Take a look at the literary examples in the middle of the page, and how lines in a text, or even chapters in a whole book (as in the Bible) can create a parallel logic, to highlight the point made in the middle. What if the tracks in the album are arranged as this? When they talked about Come to Dust being a "reprise" of Reach for the Dead, if that word was deliberately chosen, then it means that the two songs are not supposed to be a continuation of each other. One track brings back the themes from the other, and in being a reprise, it's important that they are kept apart.
My music: ferniecanto.com.br
YouTube: youtube.com/user/FernieCanto
Bandcamp: ferniecanto.bandcamp.com

Latest album: "Builders of Worlds", released on February 2015: http://www.ferniecanto.com.br/bow/

Eagle Minded
^^^ Yes absolutely! I've been thinking too that TH is possibly built around a 'chiastic structure'
...what subtlety?

Boqurant
FernieCanto wrote:
ryanhewitt wrote:I don’t believe in this 100%, but I think it’s certainly interesting. Though I feel if there was a big ‘master-plan’ behind this album it would be more definitive that this… no loose ends.

Are you familiar with the chiasmus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiasmus

Take a look at the literary examples in the middle of the page, and how lines in a text, or even chapters in a whole book (as in the Bible) can create a parallel logic, to highlight the point made in the middle. What if the tracks in the album are arranged as this? When they talked about Come to Dust being a "reprise" of Reach for the Dead, if that word was deliberately chosen, then it means that the two songs are not supposed to be a continuation of each other. One track brings back the themes from the other, and in being a reprise, it's important that they are kept apart.

I see what you're saying. It makes sense, very good logic. But I also feel like, there is not enough consistency within the parallel tracks for this to be concrete. There are no similarities in the sound, theme or in the titles to suggest they are parallels of each other... though, I'm not saying my theory is any more right, at all.

Like, Gemini is referring to the constellation or twins, but Semena Mertvykh (Seeds of the Dead) I suppose is referring to the aftermath of the apocalypse. Or, however you may define Seeds Of The Dead, there is no link to Gemini. And since the songs have no lyrics, the title and sound is all you can go by, really..

I guess I feel like if BOC were to plant so many codes in this album, they'd be definite, rather than subjective to the listener.

Eagle Minded
ryanhewitt wrote:I see what you're saying. It makes sense, very good logic. But I also feel like, there is not enough consistency within the parallel tracks for this to be concrete. There are no similarities in the sound, theme or in the titles to suggest they are parallels of each other...

Yep, indeed, it doesn't always fit exactly as we suppose they should. Maybe it makes sense to Mike & Marcus, though, because they see and hear the album different. I mean, to be brutally honest, I'm unable to hear Come to Dust as a "relative" of Reach for the Dead. They may share a common genesis, possibly sprung out of a single musical idea, but to me they're different animals altogether. But I don't discard the whole "twinning" idea based solely on that. In fact, I was skeptical of the "palindrome" idea in the beginning, but now I sorta get it.

Latest album: "Builders of Worlds", released on February 2015: http://www.ferniecanto.com.br/bow/

Eagle Minded
>Chiastic Structure
>Chiastic Slide
You're knocking on the door I closed today

Friendly Stranger
This=familiar...

Friendly Stranger
The band Radiohead had this whole "conspiracy" where putting the tracks from two special albums together, they fit together perfectly. But Radiohead's was more ambitious, mainly because those two albums were released TEN YEARS apart from eachother.

Eagle Minded
I think, if there was any truth to this alternative tracklist theory thing that's been making rounds, they would have addressed it in some interview in some way, like "there's a big secret in this record that the listener has to find out" or something similar.

Eagle Minded
The Radiohead "conspiracy" was pretty outlandish, though, with little rhyme or reason and nothing to demonstrate its validity other than some fans claiming that it "sounds awesome". To me it holds even less water than the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz synchronicity.

Eagle Minded
FernieCanto wrote:The Radiohead "conspiracy" was pretty outlandish, though, with little rhyme or reason and nothing to demonstrate its validity other than some fans claiming that it "sounds awesome". To me it holds even less water than the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz synchronicity.
Which albums does it consist of? I've never heard of this.

Eagle Minded
Basefree wrote:Which albums does it consist of? I've never heard of this.

You're supposed to alternate the tracks from OK Computer and In Rainbows, respectively, turning it into a "double album" of sorts. Fans say that there are instances of "01" and "10" appearing on the albums' sleeves in various ways, and since the two albums were released "exactly" 10 years apart, then apparently it is absolute irrefutable proof that the band did it on purpose.

Return to Boards of Canada