Julie and Candy title inspiration?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Couldn't find a thread for this, but I think this might be what BoC were referencing with this title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Newmaker

In 2000, this girl, "Candy" who was destructive and apathetic was suffocated while undergoing extreme attachment therapy by a nurse named Julia Ponder. It's easy to imagine the scenario while listening to the song

Posts Quantity
Oh man, that seems like a really horrible way to die.

Dayvan Cowboy
wow that's some dark side to this track

Horrid story. :-/ Dunno if related but given the sinister theme on Geogaddi it wouldn't surprise me if it did in fact inspire them.

Dayvan Cowboy
That is some medieval psychiatric care! Everything about Candy's story is completed fucked up. I NEVER got such a dark vibe from that song... until now.

Sherbet Head
It seems close to the mark on all counts; name, potential thematic threads and the timing of the event...

It'll certainly be on my mind when I listen to this track in future...

~Snuf

Posts Quantity
Good find! Thanks for sharing.

Posts Quantity
Man that wasn't what I imagined.

Now I understand why there is need for the flood of research articles detailing and dissecting the career motivations of nurses...

Boqurant
I always thought the name "Julie" was referencing a friend of theirs listed as one of the cover stars on the Old Tunes Vol. 2 artwork and maybe they have another friend named Candy, or it was referencing Julie and her candy but this topic suits the track more.

Eagle Minded

Wow, that puts a different spin on things. What on earth were you searching for when you found this though?!? :shock:

Slow down...

God dammit, this was the ONE TRACK that was seemingly innocent enough to not have any implication of something terrifying being affiliated with it and you go and ruin it for me. Thanks, GeneralChesty. Thanks a lot. You're a brat and I'm going to pretend that this thread is just putting me on. :x

The foolery in the previous paragraph aside, I read through this Wikipedia article and am mortified.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
So if this is true, does that mean that this track shares the title inspiration with Venetian Snares who did "Find Candace" in 2003?

Friendly Stranger
no. Just no.

Friendly Stranger
Mexicola wrote:Wow, that puts a different spin on things. What on earth were you searching for when you found this though?!? :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Posts Quantity
noatakmoon wrote:
Mexicola wrote:Wow, that puts a different spin on things. What on earth were you searching for when you found this though?!? :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

what?
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Dude, have you heard the new EVANESENCE?

Friendly Stranger
skam wrote:
noatakmoon wrote:

what?
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

its just..mexicola, man. :roll:

Good. That explains everything then...

Sherbet Head
this is fucked up close this thread immediately
*farts*

idk

Dayvan Cowboy
jesus fucking christ

Next

Return to Boards of Canada