Has this been mentioned before?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
The Breaking Nehushtan tune is at the end of the Surfaise remix.

I know a lot of threads have been made about how they re-use material, but I don't ever recall seeing this one in them before.

Dayvan Cowboy
Weirrrrrd. Ive gotta hear this now. 8)
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Sherbet Head
mechanismj wrote:The Breaking Nehushtan tune is at the end of the Surfaise remix.

I know a lot of threads have been made about how they re-use material, but I don't ever recall seeing this one in them before.

Even without checking that sounds right!

Happy Cycler
Yet more proof that those tapes are indeed legit.

Sherbet Head
Ah, yes. Love that part, as well as BN. Very similar.

Dayvan Cowboy
tis a nice tune alright. in the meat beat manifesto remix the synth part at 4:40 sounds similar to 1969. thought i heard the weird choral sample at the beginning of happy cycling in there too.

Happy Cycler
ross adey wrote:tis a nice tune alright. in the meat beat manifesto remix the synth part at 4:40 sounds similar to 1969. thought i heard the weird choral sample at the beginning of happy cycling in there too.

Hey, you're right! I believe that is the same choral sample. That tune that kicks in at 4:40 does sound a lot like 1969, too. Crazy. Never noticed this stuff before.

Boqurant
Also, there's a "swirly" scale all over MHTRTC which I'm pretty sure has the same source: Rue the Whirl, Aquarius, An Eagle in Your Mind... somebody told me it might be a Jean-Michel Jarre sample but I seriously doubt it, although it sort of souns like Oxygene Part 1; at any rate, it's obvious it's always the same sound. I think it might be from some children's show, I kind of remember that kind of sounds in those programmes.

Also, this one is more obvious and everyone knows it, I guess, but the middle part of A is to B is the middle part of Sixtyniner, and the ending of Rue the Whirl is I Saw Drones.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sputnik wrote:Also, there's a "swirly" scale all over MHTRTC which I'm pretty sure has the same source: Rue the Whirl, Aquarius, An Eagle in Your Mind... somebody told me it might be a Jean-Michel Jarre sample but I seriously doubt it, although it sort of souns like Oxygene Part 1; at any rate, it's obvious it's always the same sound. I think it might be from some children's show, I kind of remember that kind of sounds in those programmes.
Oh yeah. I was thinking about that the other day. I have no idea of the source but they really like it dont they.

Posts Quantity
Sputnik wrote:the ending of Rue the Whirl is I Saw Drones.

No, they are two completely different melodies.

Happy Cycler
Lawrence wrote:
Sputnik wrote:the ending of Rue the Whirl is I Saw Drones.

No, they are two completely different melodies.

Agreed. The end of Rue The Whirl is just something playing backwards.

Happy Cycler
Sputnik wrote:Also, there's a "swirly" scale all over MHTRTC which I'm pretty sure has the same source: Rue the Whirl, Aquarius, An Eagle in Your Mind... somebody told me it might be a Jean-Michel Jarre sample but I seriously doubt it, although it sort of souns like Oxygene Part 1; at any rate, it's obvious it's always the same sound. I think it might be from some children's show, I kind of remember that kind of sounds in those programmes.

Also, this one is more obvious and everyone knows it, I guess, but the middle part of A is to B is the middle part of Sixtyniner, and the ending of Rue the Whirl is I Saw Drones.

I dunno. Them being the crazy sound designers they are, I don't think they would use the exact same source for all of those tracks... especially if they were on the same album. They all sound slightly different to me.

Dayvan Cowboy
they may edit them slightly, but they definately re-use samples. not because they're short of them, but because it's an integral part of sonic/psychedelic production. like a fleeting picture of a face that you thought you have forgotten re-appearing when you least expect it. in common terms - a flashback. "you know about the walrus and me, man? you know that we're as close as can be, man. well here's another clue for you all - the walrus was paul." the beatles - glass onion

Dayvan Cowboy
i also like how they reuse ideas too, an eagle in your mind in sunshine recorder....and i still think the clear vocal sample in alpha and omega is saying now this is very irresponsible, something they chopped up for telephasic workshop

Return to Boards of Canada