Coil

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Anyone know them? Coil comes up all the time in discussions of electronic music but I don't think I've heard a thing from them.

Any fans? Recommendations?

Happy Cycler
Hmmm... maybe I'll have to be the pioneer on the forum for this one.

Dayvan Cowboy
they're one of these bands I've never got around to soulseeking, sorry. TBH they don't really sound like my kind of thing anyway.
"Now son, don't worry, those were just lies Daddy told to get prescription drugs"

Posts Quantity
I Like some of their stuff, especially for the atmospherics and electronic sound.
But sometimes they annoy me in that sometimes they seem like they are going out of their way to try and outweird everybody else.
In that how many times can you reference the occult and drugs before people become bored.
I like them though.

A real shame though that John Balance has passed away. he must have been fairly young.

Dayvan Cowboy
Used to listen to 'em in my Some Bizzare / let's weird out my friends and family phase. The Horse Rotorvator album was ace, dark and disturbing. Not particularly electronic but drippping with atmosphere. That was a good 20 years ago and I've not really listened to anything since.

Posts Quantity
i do know that john balance was a big fan of boards of canada.
there were even plans for a collaboration.

(which is how i first heard of boc)

that is until mr. balance lost his balance and fell from a flight of steps.
after he died one of his personal items that went up for auction was a copy of telephasic workshop.

coil on the other hand has dabbled in all types of music.
whatever you're looking for i'm sure it's there.
i've got almost everything they've put out and my favorites are the following:

musick to play in the dark 2
the moon's milk series
horse rotorvator
worship the glitch

Posts Quantity
actual quote:

In a recent discussion with John Balance of Coil on a Soulseek channel, John mentioned the following:

"[Performing live in] Canada is a possibility; speaking of which - We've been in contact/communication/reciprocation with the lads from Boards of Canada. Our extreme appreciation for each other's work is mutual. Something may also come out of that in the near future.. Again, it's all in the aether."

the devilsh details

Dayvan Cowboy
Now playing Horse Rotorvator the first track The Anal Staircase is bonkers! I'll report back once ive finished listening to it.
<center>de ['] ja [,] vu
nʌ ['] ɐɾ [,] ǝp

Boqurant
Yay!! I'm definitely a Coil fan. I only enjoy some of their stuff, so personally I'd recommend Musick to Play in the Dark I + II, Love's Secret Domain, and The Ape of Naples. I've listened to a few others, but much of their music is hard to find, and those 4 albums are certainly my favorites.
JG (Recursion)

Its all a dream
Light passing by on the screen
And theres you and I on the beam
Speeding through the universe
Thinking is the best way to travel

Dayvan Cowboy
really like Love's Secret Domain

Sherbet Head
I like the earlier stuff. "Horse Rotorvator" is a good album, and of course the cover of "Tainted Love".

Eagle Minded
Wow, I did not know that Coil And Boards Of Canada were thinking of a wee colab together.
That would make me so fucking happy.

Dayvan Cowboy
Infinite E wrote:they're one of these bands I've never got around to soulseeking, sorry. TBH they don't really sound like my kind of thing anyway.

ahaha. think i was trying to be helpful... or obtuse.... hard to tell
"Now son, don't worry, those were just lies Daddy told to get prescription drugs"

Sherbet Head
Outside of extremely rare stuff I try to be legit when it comes to buying music, but I looked on amazon to try and pick something up by them because I've heard quite a lot about them, but the cheapest cd I can find is $30 used! I have no problem using torrents when music is this expensive...

Eagle Minded
Yeah, You should definitly grab or download The Remote Viewer, Its a gem!

Return to This Random Sound