If they never released another album..

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
..I wouldn't be thrilled about it but I'd kind of get it...they've always been talented and done great work, but Campfire Headphase, IMHO, rose to the rarest class of inspiration (particularly the run from Icarus to Cowboy, not to take away from the supernatural quality of all the tracks on the album..)

Though they're clearly prolific in their genius, songs like what we saw on TCH don't just pop out given enough time in the studio..so I get it if they don't channel that kind of creativity again for years to come.. I also forgive them if they're not going to come right out and say "we're not sure where to go from here either..."

And, hi everyone. I've read here for a while..nice to find folks who can't get enough either..

Posts Quantity
Thanks for the heads up.

Sherbet Head
Good topic and I agree with you...TCH was something very very rare and special. Probably the best album I ever heard.

Posts Quantity
I really agree here guys. What's weird to me is that many members here have stated that TCH was a subpar release.
Yet this album is really powerful, I have combined THC and TCH and had some really intense experiences listening to Dayvan Cowboy and Slow This Bird Down, among other tracks. I should add that the vignettes on this album are so friggin beautiful, wow.
I was thinking that if boc never released another album again, I would respect them for it, I think this action would show that they don't really owe anybody anything, that they are above the whole creating for money, I dont know. Thats why they say come out and live with a religious community in a beautiful place out in the country.
On the other hand, don't they have a contract to fulfill? I'm sure it can be broken if they really wanted to anyways.
Silvania.

Eagle Minded
I definitely don't think Headphase is sub-par, but when picking my favorite / 'their best' I usually go towards another album.

This said, Headphase definitely is the most expressive release, the most polished, like Jeeakooma said those songs don't just pop out from the studio, it's obvious they toiled over this one. It has a certain quality to it from this... I'm not sure how else to describe it. It seems like it would be the most personal album for the brothers.

So if this is the path they continue on, and the next album takes more and more layers and feelings and time, then I'm guessing it will be even better. I can wait.

And if that was their last album, while I would respect them for it and all that, I definitely would be pretty bummed out / upset. There's nothing else for me to do except respect what they do as artists, but seriously, to be left hanging like this for so long, with all the swirling rumors and anticipation, just to get some press release cutting it all off with that kind of announcement, I would be a pretty PO'd fan.
last.fm/user/ienjoycheese ~ [hence i see joy]

Happy Cycler
Hello Jeeakooma, when I saw this topic I thought "we really needed that topic" so good on ya

I'm not sure I can put it into better words than what you said. I feel like I'd get it if they never did another thing. I'm not sure why, but it feels like their run would be complete, maybe and then some, if they ended now even.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Sherbet Head
They stated that mhtrtc, geogaddi and tch was sort of a trilogy and tch closed everything and that the new album will be a totally new chapter and a chock (wich everyone knows) so I can understand that every BOC fans is very interested to hear the new road that they are taking!

turquoise70 wrote:Hello Jeeakooma, when I saw this topic I thought "we really needed that topic" so good on ya

I'm not sure I can put it into better words than what you said. I feel like I'd get it if they never did another thing. I'm not sure why, but it feels like their run would be complete, maybe and then some, if they ended now even.

QFT. I don't want them to stop us such. But I don't see the point in putting a record out there every 2/3 years unless they happy with it and it's worthy of the name. If that happened then, to me, they become just another recording artist taking the £$£. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it would just be a disappointment.

And welcome Jeeakooma. Cracking first post too! :D

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I think that one of the biggest influences over their future output will be what's going on in the rest of their lives. If they are living abroad and apart from each other, or there's a change in priorities of family; both would, I imagine, have a massive knock-on effect. Also, if the previous albums were created in the Pentland Hills bunker/studio, and they have now moved away from there... then they could well be forced to re-invent a method of making music together.

Of course, this is all idle speculation on my part. :)

If they never made another record then that would be fine. We've had more good stuff from them than we get from most other electronic artists. I'd rather nothing than a half-baked contractual obligation of a record. That said, I'd still love to hear the mooted acoustic MHTRTC.

New Seed
I agree with everyone here, if BoC didn't release another album, of course I would be disappointed, but if they couldn't move forward with anything, I'd hate for them to release some subpar record for the cash, that's not what I think of them to be like. Campfire Headphase is an amazing album, and if it had to be, would be a great ending for them.

Sherbet Head
I would not be impressed,they are the best band of all time,I need another hit

Telepath
I don't really care about this subject :lol:

Happy Cycler
Music Has The Right To Children
Geogaddi
The Campfire Headphase

Possibly the greatest trilogy of albums ever. If it had to end there, so be it.

Coincidentally, I had always considered Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, and Day Of The Dead (classic zombie horror movies) to be another one of the all time great trilogies, but that got spoiled when Land Of The Dead was added to the mix.

Perhaps some things are better left alone. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear another album though.

Friendly Stranger
Archrival wrote:They stated that mhtrtc, geogaddi and tch was sort of a trilogy and tch closed everything and that the new album will be a totally new chapter and a chock (wich everyone knows) so I can understand that every BOC fans is very interested to hear the new road that they are taking!

Every artist talks "trilogy" after album #3, but I don't really buy it in this case, since TCH seems so fundamentally different from MHTRTC and Geogaddi in so many respects. If anything, the trilogy should be Twoism, MHTRTC, and Geogaddi.

Sherbet Head
Look, Mike and Marcus are older than me. When they die, I'll just raid their archived works and rip them all to mp3. I'll spend my last days doing nothing but listening, and state in my will that all the songs should be torrented off to the internets.

I shall be legend.
Viper.

Sherbet Head
mheumann wrote:
Archrival wrote:They stated that mhtrtc, geogaddi and tch was sort of a trilogy and tch closed everything and that the new album will be a totally new chapter and a chock (wich everyone knows) so I can understand that every BOC fans is very interested to hear the new road that they are taking!

Every artist talks "trilogy" after album #3, but I don't really buy it in this case, since TCH seems so fundamentally different from MHTRTC and Geogaddi in so many respects. If anything, the trilogy should be Twoism, MHTRTC, and Geogaddi.

You just wait and see how fundamentally different the new album will be from those (plus Twoism is considered a EP, yeah I know its more a album 8-9 tracks and all)! :P :D I can't wait and im more than curious!

Posts Quantity
i think the new album is coming, but it is going to be a couple more years.

Happy Cycler
iec wrote:I definitely don't think Headphase is sub-par, but when picking my favorite / 'their best' I usually go towards another album.

yup

Eagle Minded
I demand that they release a studio verson of live@Warp10 track 8 (without the mobile going off or the girl asking for a light in the background) before they even start thinking about packing it in!! :wink:

Seriously though, take 3 amazing albums + Twoism, Hi Scores, Beautiful Place, Trans Canada, Peel, EPs and you've got a body of work that few artists, of any genre, will ever achieve. TCH is a worthy closer, and 'Tears from a compound eye'/'Fairwell fires' are fitting send-offs... I just don't want them to be!

One thing that's gotta be said though.. on a practical and very boring note, i wonder how they're gonna pay the bills in say 10 years time if they don't release any more material? Remix/production work? I know they're not commercially motivated at all but wanted to throw that out there...

ps. hi people, I've lurked for a little while and thought i'd contribute.. well done for keeping that campfire burning despite a lack of news/releases/anything. :)

Happy Cycler
23degreesdream wrote:ps. hi people, I've lurked for a little while and thought i'd contribute.. well done for keeping that campfire burning despite a lack of news/releases/anything. :)

it's made us all a little crazy, and a while back some members were eaten in a gruesome display of desperate cannibalism, but we do what we can. welcome to the circle. don't pee on the campfire!
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Next

Return to Boards of Canada