BOC Campfire Mixtape

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I came across this on another forum a few weeks ago and haven't seen it mentioned here, so i thought i'd share it with you guys. I've tracked down most of the tracks except for Smith Perkins Smith which seems to be on an out of print LP released in 1972, and Mark Johnson. I've tried soulseek and limewire but can't find anything by either of them. Mark Johnson must be fairly well known though. I found his website and according to that he had a track on the Finding Nemo soundtrack. Here it is anyway -

<b>Boards of Canada mixtape from D & C mag

Campfire mixtape by Marcus Eoin (one half of BoC)
John Denver 'I'd rather be a cowboy'
for collecting firewood

John Frusciante 'Regret"
Now the fire's lit we need spacerock

Sufjan stevens ' A good man is hard to find'
There's a great out of tune chorus that shouldn't work but it does

Smith Perkins Smith ' say no more'
A cowboy classic. any song that uses 'dust bowl' gets my thumbs up.

the Beach Boys ' celebrate the news'
There's a beach boys song fro every occasion. Who needs drugs when there's music like this.

Ween ' among his tribe'
Time to get the marshmallows out. Ween are so good they're like a hundred bands for the price of one.

Yo La Tengo ' Tiny birds'
Time to gather some more combustibles.

Bonnie Prince Billy ' No more workhouse blues'
The best use of pedal steel I've heard in a long while.

Mark Johnson ' Asia Major'
By now you'll be lying on your back looking at the stars. The best song writer this side of the Kuiper Belt.

Joni Mitchell ' Amelia'
Maybe the most perfect song ever recorded. When the fire's burning down and you want one last song echoing out as you make your way home, this should be it.</b>

It's an interesting glimpse into the guys influences i think. Note the lack of electronica or what would be seen as their contemporaries, and the preference towards quiet and country-ish guitar music. Of course that could be something to do with it being a relaxing and accessible 'campfire' mixtape, to be listened to in the background while you get stoned with your mates on the beach. Ask them for a mixtape for some other occasion and i suppose it could be full of Christ and Autechre and the like. I really like most of it, especially the Ween and John Frusciante tracks. Joni Mitchell's never done much for me though.

If anyone manages to hunt down the tracks i'm missing that would be great. And of course if anyone wants the others posted anywhere or sent to them just let me know.

I'm assuming D&C is Dazed and Confused. Anyone have the rest of the text?

Dayvan Cowboy
who where and when is this from?
what tracks do you have?

Sherbet Head
Interesting. Would love a copy

Sherbet Head
boardsofdublin wrote:who where and when is this from?
what tracks do you have?

The clues are there...

But since you asked; from Dazed and Confused magazine i think; a few weeks ago; and i have them all except Smith Perkins Smith and Mark Johnson.

Dayvan Cowboy
no like i have do a bit of a search with google and cant find anything about a mix tape that Marcus Eoin did for them.
how do you know about this?
expand on it. please.

Sherbet Head
boardsofdublin wrote:no like i have do a bit of a search with google and cant find anything about a mix tape that Marcus Eoin did for them.
how do you know about this?
expand on it. please.

Ah, i think i get you now. I don't think it was a tape given away by the mag (imagine the copyright issues....), just one suggested by Marcus - i assume as part of an interview. I don't have the mag itself. What i got above was just copy-and-pasted from another forum (Stereolab's i think) a few weeks ago. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'd love to see the rest of the interview, if that's what it was. I'm surprise it wasn't mentioned here. There were interviews in much more obscure mags that made it to this outpost of the interweb!

That's if it was Dazed and Confused. It only says D&C. I'm just guessing Dazed and Confused.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think it's brilliant that BoC are Ween fans. Among His Tribe is an excellent song off of their album Quebec.

Sherbet Head
thanks for the info! nice mixtape! :)

Twoism forum rocks! :D

Sherbet Head
why dont you share those tracks with us...hook us up :) please mail me at archrival777@hotmail.com

Posts Quantity
The list is interesting to me. It consists mostly of artists I grew up listening to with the folks (Beach Boys, Joni, J. Denver) and that I am currently listening to (Sufjan, Yo La Tengo, Bonnie "Prince" Billy). I guess that this just further prooves the connection between BoC and the people who really understand and care for their music.
Welcome home faithful one. We forgive you.

Sherbet Head
AnalogFix wrote:The list is interesting to me. It consists mostly of artists I grew up listening to with the folks (Beach Boys, Joni, J. Denver) and that I am currently listening to (Sufjan, Yo La Tengo, Bonnie "Prince" Billy). I guess that this just further prooves the connection between BoC and the people who really understand and care for their music.

Yeah i agree. I've been a fan of YLT and Will Oldham for years and have been listening to Sufjan recently, so it's great to find out they like similar stuff. It just shows what good taste we have :D

Oh and Archrival check your email.

Sherbet Head
Niknak..you havent replied :cry:

Sherbet Head
Archrival wrote:Niknak..you havent replied :cry:

Alright alright! :lol:
Sorry though. It's a pretty big file and i was having trouble uploading it. I'll try again tonight.

Ambrose Bierce -
"Patience: A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue."

Sherbet Head
aha ok , thanks mate, I owe you :wink:

Sherbet Head
Awesome comp of songs. There are so many elements from TCH in those songs. I love it.

Friendly Stranger
wow. i hadnt heard of many of those tunes, but i just listened to the "mixtape" and i was ...quite taken back. i could definatly sit around a huge fire with the boys and listen to this.

Sherbet Head
If anyone would like to hear these tracks send me a private message and i'll send you a link to the tracks i've managed to get so far (still no Smith Perkins Smith or Mark Johnson - help anyone?). I don't want to just post it here because, well, they're copyrighted etc. and i don't want to antagonise the Beach Boys lawyers. They can be real bastards.

What would be really nice would be to distribute them on some old worn, scribbled-all-over cassettes in keeping with the whole vibe and BoC aesthetic, but that's not very realistic is it? I don't even have a cassette player anymore.

Friendly Stranger
i have access to a shitload of records (i run a bitchin viynl shop) and ive got copies of the smith perkin smith and the mark johnston tracks. they're not the greatest quality but it completes the mix. i'll YSI when i get home tonight

Sherbet Head
You star. Thanks everything...!

Sherbet Head
hey Niknak...looking forward to part 2 :) part one was amazing! :D

Next

Return to Boards of Canada