bocpages banner contest - top5

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

How do you feel about the results?

/cheers
60%
/tears
9%
/shrugs
31%

Total votes: 35

Much thanks to all the ten designers who submitted their work (42 designs) and to all the 60 people who voted for the bocpages.org contest. And special thanks to xagoln for the logo design in the banners.

All of you voted massively for Joebot Kill's fourth design and hence he is the definite #1 of this contest. His design has been made the default look of the bocpages . At least till the new boc album drops.

The four other designs are options available on the skin tab of the Special:Preferences section. You need to be a registered user to have access to that section.

The results:

---> Most Popular Designs (top5 have been integrated)
#votes multiplied by #points gathered for each individual design:

1. Joebot Kill 4 | 2678 points

2. Polar Sky 1 | 1725 points

3. Aesthetics 1 | 1026 points

4. Joebot Kill 2 | 720 points

5. Patryk Ludamage 4 | 630 points

6. Polar Sky 3 | 588 points
  7. Aesthetics 2 | 585 points
  8. Neels 3 | 544 points
  9. Joebot Kill 5 | 492 points
  10. Mexicola 3 | 372 points

---> Most Popular Designers
#votes multiplied by #points gathered for all of the combined submissions by each designer, expressed in % of the total amount:
  1. Joebot Kill - 45,23%
  2. Polar Sky - 18,68%
  3. Neels - 11,25%
  4. Aesthetics - 8,57%
  5. Mexicola - 4,15%
  6. Patryk Ludamage - 4,10%
  7. Moebius - 2,68%
  8. Ray - 2,31%
  9. Numerator - 2,22%
  10. xsmallheartx - 0,80%

Feel free to discuss!
Last edited by Fredd-E on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Cycler
Great designs! I really like the fact that you can choose which one you want as your skin. Nice!

Sherbet Head
Nice, my #1 became #1, so cheers indeed!

Sherbet Head
Location: The Soviet Russia, where is vodka, bears and very cold winters
LOL! I'm confuzed )

I never expect about voeting for Joebot kill's works more than Polar Sky

(As i understand contest has a way to choose best design, not only photo :) )

I thought that Polar Sky design №1 will takes the 1'st place but it takes only 2'nd - i'm really confused )

Also my design №4 takes 5'th place - omfg! Thanx to everyone who voeting for me.

The final of the contest confuzed my but i really good appreciate all works of challangers :)

Patryk,

I'm confused about your post. Let me explain in general the contest to you:
* people voted for the 5 designs they liked the most by giving 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 point. More points is better.
* the final score is calculated by the amount of votes multiplied by the amount of points for each design.

Example: We have 60 voters. Each voter gets 5 votes to divide. That implies 300 votes have been made. The design Joebot 4 got 26 votes and all those 26 votes together made 106 points. Now 26 * 106 is a final score of 2678 for Joebot Kill 4.

And that is the highest score of them all. Yes, higher than Polar Sky 1. (he got 23 votes with a total of 75 points; 23 * 75 = 1725 final score)

You can see everything in detail @ http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... pSmc&hl=en (just open the different tabs on the bottom)

Sherbet Head
Location: The Soviet Russia, where is vodka, bears and very cold winters
Fredd-E wrote:Patryk,

I'm confused about your post. Let me explain in general the contest to you:
* people voted for the 5 designs they liked the most by giving 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 point. More points is better.
* the final score is calculated by the amount of votes multiplied by the amount of points for each design.

Example: We have 60 voters. Each voter gets 5 votes to divide. That implies 300 votes have been made. The design Joebot 4 got 26 votes and all those 26 votes together made 106 points. Now 26 * 106 is a final score of 2678 for Joebot Kill 4.

And that is the highest score of them all. Yes, higher than Polar Sky 1. (he got 23 votes with a total of 75 points; 23 * 75 = 1725 final score)

You can see everything in detail @ http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... pSmc&hl=en (just open the different tabs on the bottom)

Yeah - one more vote for another challanger's work and my work was able to get down )
Oh - i collected all challangers works since the firts part of the contest
Who want to download all art - link is down here:
http://drop.io/0mrsaaw

Happy Cycler
Patryk Ludamage wrote:LOL! I'm confuzed )

I never expect about voeting for Joebot kill's works more than Polar Sky

(As i understand contest has a way to choose best design, not only photo :) )

I thought that Polar Sky design №1 will takes the 1'st place but it takes only 2'nd - i'm really confused )

Also my design №4 takes 5'th place - omfg! Thanx to everyone who voeting for me.

The final of the contest confuzed my but i really good appreciate all works of challangers :)

Thanks Patryk, although I feel the same as you about designs VS real film photography, it indeed WAS a fair contest (if those dummy accounts WERE real). But it was fun and everyone submitted some great work! I do like the chosen banner. Although it lacks nostalgia and a natural feeling, it is simple and clean looking. Great job to all and Happy Holidays! Let hope this year brings a new BoC album! Cause when they do? We will be all over this board again like back in 2005/2006.

Dayvan Cowboy
hey guys. thanks to everyone who voted! the top five looks amazingly awesome. polar sky, yours is especially wonderful! and well, sorry for the confusion patryk. but the beauty of the situation is that they're interchangeable!

i tried to create a banner that was inclusive of nostalgia. i picked a color scheme that evoked a slightly warped, or tainted feel. but i still wanted to keep it bright. i tried to use colors that would jump out at the viewer without being too overpowering. basically i wanted to create banners that could evoke the idea and feeling of Boards of Canada without flat out describing it. Although two of my designs were photos, for me, photography can be such a personal thing that I rarely find it works for my designs. I also wanted to stick with the minimalistic idea that Fredd-E had going on with the old banner.
thanks again to everyone who voted for me. cheers :D
FUTURE FOREST DESIGN:
http://www.futureforestdesign.net

MOSS ARCHIVE MUSIC COLLECTIVE:
http://www.mossarchive.net

Well done everybody! Excellent selection for the top five there although I thought all the designs looked amazing - probably due to the fantastic logo design.

Cheers too to Fredd-e for such a cool competition. I've had good fun watching the results come in and see if I could make the top10 :D

Slow down...

Mexicola wrote:Cheers too to Fredd-e for such a cool competition. I've had good fun watching the results come in and see if I could make the top10 :D
Thanks! And you did great apparently. 10th position for one of your designs and 5th position in the most popular designers!

Great job!

Cheers Fredd - I'm secretly quite proud :oops:

Slow down...

polar sky wrote: it indeed WAS a fair contest (if those dummy accounts WERE real).

Well, just for fun I made a copy of my google docs file and filtered the data. I pruned all the forum accounts that still have only 1 post left from the data tab.

The results would have been as follows:

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

It would've been a little different.

Nova Scotia Robot
Congrats Joebot! Well earned.

Posts Quantity
Frank wrote:Nice, my #1 became #1, so cheers indeed!

Yea same here, I find it really nice that so many people agreed on this one. There were other great submissions too but this one had something special.

Good job everybody and well earned win Joebot Kill.

Site Admin
I really like the outcome of this.

A big thank you to those who voted for my designs!
Nice to know that if the newbies didn't had the ability to vote, I would've had 2 designs in the top 5 :)
Life is a Frequency

Dayvan Cowboy
werddd

Boqurant
It's a lovely top 5. You all did a great job, really!
Now, I still have trouble choosing which one to use as my default.. (omg :))

As posted on the facebook bocpages page:

As of now the way to set a skin/theme has been changed significantly. It's not needed anymore to set a skin in the preferences pane, which was only available to registered users. Instead all visitors can now choose their preferred theme by clicking the css button Image at the top left of the page next to the PayPal button.

Your choice is then set in a cookie and will be saved for your next visits. For now it's mainly the banner in the header that changes throughout the different css options.

Return to Boards of Canada