Farewell Fire Compressed up

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
One of the members over at Gearslutz compressed up Farewell Fire to the full 8 minutes. There is definitely more in the song. Just thought I would share it with you all.

http://soundcloud.com/livefromkyoto/far ... pressed-up

Happy Cycler
machinea wrote:One of the members over at Gearslutz compressed up Farewell Fire to the full 8 minutes. There is definitely more in the song. Just thought I would share it with you all.

http://soundcloud.com/livefromkyoto/far ... pressed-up

Cool.

Edit* Super Cool.
Last edited by polar sky on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
Yeah it was really beautiful right at the end. Its nice to hear whats buried behind the silence.
of course we could just be at that place where we are finally compressing things just to get more out of what we've got because we are all so desperate for more :)

Sherbet Head
Oh what a great idea, i cant wait to hear this on my PC that sound cloud actualy works on.
Now whens someone going to do this to majik window (/joke).

Sherbet Head
Great! What an unsettling kind of warbling... Also kind of sounds like it fades into something else... perhaps part of a longer piece they spliced? Who knows.

Boqurant
I'm sure i've seen a compressed version of this track around here before...

Dayvan Cowboy
Wow. Another BOC mystery revealed. Thanks for posting this.

It makes me wonder why they faded all of this out in the first place. It's so good... I love the way it fades to static at the end, it just seems like such a proper way to end the album. I should totally download this version and replace it with the original.

Boqurant
dp wrote:Wow. Another BOC mystery revealed. Thanks for posting this.

It makes me wonder why they faded all of this out in the first place. It's so good... I love the way it fades to static at the end, it just seems like such a proper way to end the album. I should totally download this version and replace it with the original.

I think the static is just a result of the super amplified noise floor.

Eagle Minded
thegr8brian wrote:
dp wrote:Wow. Another BOC mystery revealed. Thanks for posting this.

This.
Nyetscape.bandcamp.com
Nyetscape.tumblr.com

Nova Scotia Robot
That was pretty cool. I think I've done this before. Been a while though. Longer than I've even been on this forum. This guy did a better job too. I just used my wave hammer in SoundForge.

Eagle Minded
Very glad to hear that, the extra bit has almost got me in tears. Amazing

Sherbet Head
1991 wrote:I'm sure i've seen a compressed version of this track around here before...

It's quite possible I didn't do a search before I posted this and I know Livefromkyoto said he had done this before but didn't have the file handy anymore so redid it because I asked.

I don't know if he posts here, in any case I know he is a fan. His avatar over there is a boc image. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Kamas009 wrote:thegr8brian wrote: dp wrote: Wow. Another BOC mystery revealed. Thanks for posting this.

This.

I think it was pointed out clearly enough by mr brian without your fantastic "This". What a waste of a post. Gotta get that post count, eh?

You are probably right about that brian, but I still thought it sounded good! I never thought even about that.

Eagle Minded
Nice to have heard it and it isn't bad or anything, but I think it ruins the concept of the song. I always liked the song going on and on endlessly, endless in a literal way because one can't hear when it stops. The 'farewell' is gone in this version...
Unexpect the expected

Sherbet Head
Anyone use a compressor on Magic Window? NOTHING.

The irony is that Magic Window is such a good title, for such a weak track.
Hopefully their new album will have "Magic Window MK2" and it will be the most amazing track ever.

Eagle Minded
dp wrote:
Kamas009 wrote:thegr8brian wrote: dp wrote: Wow. Another BOC mystery revealed. Thanks for posting this.

This.

I think it was pointed out clearly enough by mr brian without your fantastic "This". What a waste of a post. Gotta get that post count, eh?

You are probably right about that brian, but I still thought it sounded good! I never thought even about that.

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or did I break a secret TUUURQIZE HEXAMON SOON rule?

You want a more detailed rebuttle?

I think the static is just a result of super amplified noise floor.

I agree, the compression rate is higher than that of which you would use for any normal song.

Raw amplification of sound can result in pretty much anything. Especially bands like BoC, the reverb off of the synth in "Farewell Fire" is using a convulution reberberation, so the sound can carry a lot in the white noise, so even with raw amplification like we heard in the soundcloud link you can get an entirely new song out of it.

So by pumping a lot of volume into some reberberated white noise you can end up with pretty much anything.

Not intentional, even though it sounds pretty.

This.
Nyetscape.bandcamp.com
Nyetscape.tumblr.com

Sherbet Head
shiiiiiit. this makes me want a SotL + BoC collab. Boards of the Lid? Stars of Canada?

Happy Cycler
woah, this was like hearing a new BoC track for me, thank you so much! a double good day for music for me ^_^
"It's been a long time..."

Sherbet Head
I fucking love it :D :D :D
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Dayvan Cowboy
Twoism-ist wrote:shiiiiiit. this makes me want a SotL + BoC collab. Boards of the Lid? Stars of Canada?

this needs to happen
(beautiful track btw)
if you are reading this you are spending too much time at your computer. go outside and get some fresh air.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada