GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 458
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
writetomhatcher wrote:
demo wrote:If it's Com Truise, then it's nice to finally get some progression, I get bored of that guys music very quickly but the thing AS posted sound really good! I also get lorn vibes, excited to see whatever it becomes, but... BoC does feel like a stretch, I hear the comparison, but... I'm not 100% convinced.


I never say anything when Com Truise is brought up, but this finally feels like my opening:

I honestly feel Com Truise is the most overrated electronic act. I admire the sounds he gets from synths, but his arrangements often fall flat. I saw him do a “DJ set” that was just him playing different songs from his albums all the way through. Telefon Tel Aviv did a bangin techno set before CT that also involved live vocals, so there was a major drop-off. I know CT gets a lot of love, and I’ve listened to his albums quite a bunch, but that set really brought out the Tycho-ness of his music.


i've seen him live too, and i actually had the completely opposite impression! i have never heard drums slap so hard live like his. the venue is also notoriously awesome in the sound department though...

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 768
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Davism wrote:
North by North wrote:Having a lot of CT stuff, Sarin Sunday and Airliner (and of course all available BoC), it sounds like TH.

Turning that Adult Swim smiley face upside down would look like a sky with snow flakes falling. Winter?? :?


I remember during the summer people were guessing that the album would come out in the winter, I forget the reasoning why now, however. It's funny, but what if we should be taking stuff more at face value, eg. "Turning that Adult Swim smiley face upside down would look like a sky with snow flakes falling. Winter??". I used to think that David Lynch movies were incredibly complex/coded and that you had to think deeply to understand what he was getting at, but that's not true, he's actually incredibly straight forward. I know that's a little bit of a tangent, but I thought it was cool that you actually "followed directions" from Adult Swim's post.

I realize I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but what else is there to talk about.



Well how did the Look Sad Reel compare to this? Was it a snippet of music just like this?

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 263
Joined: 19 Apr 2018
Location: Davenport, IA
Echelon wrote:
Well how did the Look Sad Reel compare to this? Was it a snippet of music just like this?


https://youtu.be/jY3ByVGxmQk
MUSIC70INTHEHOSUE

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 263
Joined: 19 Apr 2018
Location: Davenport, IA
I think that the only thing within the video we should really pay attention to is the face, and the VHS style it’s done in. Because Adult Swim has posted “Turn that Smile Upside Down” before without context. The only reasons I think this could be something is because Adult Swim posted it on their instagram story shortly after (why post something on your story if it’s seemingly meaningless?) and because, well, it really really does sound like BoC.
MUSIC70INTHEHOSUE

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 119
Joined: 3 May 2018
Location: Slovakia
“We are in a place we’ve never been in before, so if I can do anything to use the gift of song to help to feed people, to show my love … it is my joy.”

Where are our words with hope?
Oh how we need those words of hope
Not the kind of hope that leaves some of us behind
But the kind of hope that lifts up all humankind

Where is, where is, our love song?
Not a love song between you and I
But a song that will test the universe to the Heaven’s eye

phpBB [media]


You say you're sick and tired of us protesting
I say, "Not tired enough to make a change"
You say, "Just you hold on"
I say "No way, 'cause we can't put it in the hands of fate"

phpBB [media]


Driving around the outskirts of Edinburgh, drying off in (the) warmth of his plush, silver BMW, Eoin ejects a Stevie Wonder CD out from the car stereo and rummages through his rucksack. ‘You have to hear this. It’s the Mysterious Voices Of Bulgaria – 30 women in traditional dress singing these unbelievable harmonies! It’s the kind of music that is totally divorced from normal music, bit I love it. It resets my clock.’

Surely drugs must have inspired such weirdness? Boards of Canada – typically – disagree. ‘We want to reiterate this,’ says Sandison. ‘This isn’t drug music. I’ve always imagined it as daytime music: it’s a beautiful day, in the middle of the afternoon, and you’re with your friends listening to twisty music’.

Mike Sandison once had a dream that he was in Edinburgh, near the castle. All the stonework of the buildings and the roads were covered in flowerbeds sown with a tapestry of bright flowers in concentric patterns. ‘It was the most amazing thing, and it stuck with me for ages. It made me think: there’s nowhere in the world like this! Nowhere at all! So I thought we should try and make tunes that people in that town would be listening to’.

To myself: to explaining the long gaps between releases. ‘Someone wrote that we smoke too much and that’s why we the music takes so long’ splutter’s Sandison. ‘They have no idea!’ The fact is that, like the countryside itself, Boards Of Canada can’t be rushed. The gentle, ageless beauty of their art is the result of months and years of evolution; and of constant, backbreaking work which brooks no metropolitan distraction.

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Breaking_Into_Heaven (January 2001 interview)

Image

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 768
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
I like when you do posts like this Hope Keeper! Just really fun to read :D

There was a quote that I read recently while perusing those interviews that really stood out to me concerning their process:

"As they're at pains to point out, the long gaps between releases aren't because they're lazy or aloof, it's because of the perfectionism of their craft. Six months of 2005 alone were spent on post-producing the album to get idea-germs into a state they call finished."

I almost want to think that this banner was a sign that they're starting this "post-producing" process or even nearing the end of it. That's why we've been seeing more likes, the banner, mysterious ????? releases and even weird BOC like phenomena in AMKS and Adult Swim.

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Joined: 12 Sep 2020
So are we all supposed to be cautiously anticipating an announcement in three days (on the 20th)?

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 208
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Davism wrote:So are we all supposed to be cautiously anticipating an announcement in three days (on the 20th)?


Yes, and after the 20th, I anticipate that we will be anticipating an announcement again.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1180
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
I'm really curious what their next album is going to be about
Image

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 311
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Davism wrote:So are we all supposed to be cautiously anticipating an announcement in three days (on the 20th)?


Stoopid kwestion: Why're we focusing on the twentieth, now ?
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 768
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
b0qurant wrote:
Davism wrote:So are we all supposed to be cautiously anticipating an announcement in three days (on the 20th)?


Stoopid kwestion: Why're we focusing on the twentieth, now ?


Aphex Twin announcement. Probably going to be the secret ??????? release. I'm calling it now.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 125
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Echelon wrote:
b0qurant wrote:
Davism wrote:So are we all supposed to be cautiously anticipating an announcement in three days (on the 20th)?


Stoopid kwestion: Why're we focusing on the twentieth, now ?


Aphex Twin announcement. Probably going to be the secret ??????? release. I'm calling it now.


Safe bet, I really hope it's in line with something like the Cheetah ep
Image

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Joined: 24 Aug 2020
Based on the marketing, it looks like an EP or more. Something beyond a bass station II

By the way, the date 10/20/2020 has been speculated about because of sixtyten. But I think the AFX news makes a mess of that theory!

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Joined: 12 Sep 2020
writetomhatcher wrote:Based on the marketing, it looks like an EP or more. Something beyond a bass station II

By the way, the date 10/20/2020 has been speculated about because of sixtyten. But I think the AFX news makes a mess of that theory!


I feel stupid for asking this, but does "AFX" = Aphex Twin?

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 115
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Davism wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:Based on the marketing, it looks like an EP or more. Something beyond a bass station II

By the way, the date 10/20/2020 has been speculated about because of sixtyten. But I think the AFX news makes a mess of that theory!


I feel stupid for asking this, but does "AFX" = Aphex Twin?
Yeah, AFX is to Aphex Twin as BoC is to Boards.

Polygon Window is also an Aphex Twin alias.

WARP re-released Polygon Window "Surfing On Sine Wave" (BRC-645) as part of this WARP 2020 Campaign 1 [originally released on 11 January 1993 by Warp].

WARP/Beatink campaign website below.

https://www.beatink.com/user_data/warp2020.php


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 311
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Davism wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:Based on the marketing, it looks like an EP or more. Something beyond a bass station II

By the way, the date 10/20/2020 has been speculated about because of sixtyten. But I think the AFX news makes a mess of that theory!


I feel stupid for asking this, but does "AFX" = Aphex Twin?


Yuss it duss. Sort'f a shorthand. Also RDJ (another Aphex-Twin acronym [there're so many]) has released music under "AFX" ... Analogue Bubblebath and Hangable Autobulb series, Analord, other stuff.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

User avatar
New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Jun 2019
b0qurant wrote:
Davism wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:Based on the marketing, it looks like an EP or more. Something beyond a bass station II

By the way, the date 10/20/2020 has been speculated about because of sixtyten. But I think the AFX news makes a mess of that theory!


I feel stupid for asking this, but does "AFX" = Aphex Twin?


Yuss it duss. Sort'f a shorthand. Also RDJ (another Aphex-Twin acronym [there're so many]) has released music under "AFX" ... Analogue Bubblebath and Hangable Autobulb series, Analord, other stuff.


Urban Dictionary says: ''Phonetic contraction of Aphex Twin, though considered a name in its own right.''
Image

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Joined: 12 Sep 2020
Fanks for the insoight, mates.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Aug 2020
Today's the day and so far, nothing.
Mexicola wrote:I could tell you. But then I'd have to kill you.

Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 90
Joined: 2 Mar 2020
Here’s to chasing waterfalls

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron