GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I dunno, I think all of their studio albums have had major unifying themes, though I'd agree TH was the most concise.

TCH was basically a psychedelic summer road trip, Geogaddi was like a super dark Alice in wonderland trip through math and paganism, MHTRTC was like 70s public broadcasting on lots of acid. I don't think "general space theme/aesthetic" is outside the realm of possibility (though there's basically no evidence that it will be true, either).

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:I dunno, I think all of their studio albums have had major unifying themes, though I'd agree TH was the most concise.

TCH was basically a psychedelic summer road trip, Geogaddi was like a super dark Alice in wonderland trip through math and paganism, MHTRTC was like 70s public broadcasting on lots of acid. I don't think "general space theme/aesthetic" is outside the realm of possibility (though there's basically no evidence that it will be true, either).

The only reason I believe the album might have something to do with space is simply because a couple years prior to TH they uploaded an image of a nuclear bomb with their logo on one of their sites. I can't remember where it was (warp page?), but someone on here was talking about it not too long ago.
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
Roswell wrote:The only reason I believe the album might have something to do with space is simply because a couple years prior to TH they uploaded an image of a nuclear bomb with their logo on one of their sites. I can't remember where it was (warp page?), but someone on here was talking about it not too long ago.

Yep, I remember that- it was the BoC Page on Warp's website.

It's not impossible that the Pioneer Plaque is a hint.

Eagle Minded
I would like to imagine it being more of a afterlife/limbo/purgatory themed. Post apocalypse, post death, or a Big Bang of sorts, with TH collapsing on itself (the BoC universe) and it expanding again.

Dayvan Cowboy
http://web.archive.org/web/200905091628 ... -of-canada

The bad news is, the atom bomb logo was there as early as 2009. So anyone for 2024? :P

Let's hope they decided to drop the Pioneer's Plaque closer to the release date :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/20090509162833/http://warp.net/records/boards-of-canada

The bad news is, the atom bomb logo was there as early as 2009. So anyone for 2024? :P

Makes sense, they said they knew the album title for Tomorrow's Harvest as early as 2006.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Echelon wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/20090509162833/http://warp.net/records/boards-of-canada

Makes sense, they said they knew the album title for Tomorrow's Harvest as early as 2006.

Well that's pretty much confirmation they spend years working on a single album. I don't doubt they're sprinkling hints for their next album already, and that the pioneer plaque is part of that.

Also, I thought the idea of that upload with the blue don't being a reference to "the pale blue dot" was farfetched, but now... If BoC really did plan for that to be the meaning, that's VERY forward thinking, it's a fun thing to believe in.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:I dunno, I think all of their studio albums have had major unifying themes, though I'd agree TH was the most concise.

I'd say those themes are vague as hell and more like just a collections of thoughts and timbres that tie tracks together to make them feel like they belong. TH was more a concept of apocalypse and even then it was still vague what type of apocalypse and whether it's future, past, just a inspiration from things like Threads or even Quatermaster, whether there was a timeline or whether it was just again a collection of tracks that touched on the theme. They said more about TH being a concept but that's all we have, we have made our own stories up to give it more gravity.
So, space? I dunno.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
If you read the authors mentioned by BoC in their interviews around the album release (Kunstler, Orlov, and Morris in particular), it's actually pretty clear what kind of apocalypse TH is referencing- financial and infrastructure collapse brought about by state mismanagement, climate change and resource depletion (particularly fossil fuels).

They don't actually even view it as an "apocalypse," but rather an inevitable stage in the story of humanity- the rise and collapse of empires and civilizations (hence the palindromic, cyclical structure of the album).

Dayvan Cowboy
It's a weird start to the year for Warp. The Stereolab thing isn't even on the Warp label. It's on Stereolab's own label with the release number being D-UF-D42.

So technically, Warp haven't released anything on their label at all. If they're not preparing something epic, I hope all is well.

Someone in the Reddit thread did point out that WARP321 would be a perfect release number both numerically and for lift off. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Dunno about you guys, but if rumors are true, I'm gonna order the CD version, cause my turntable is gone now...

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:It's a weird start to the year for Warp. The Stereolab thing isn't even on the Warp label. It's on Stereolab's own label with the release number being D-UF-D42.

So technically, Warp haven't released anything on their label at all. If they're not preparing something epic, I hope all is well.

Yep, I still find this unusual. They always have a release or two ticking away in the background,

Apparently, Aphex and Weirdcore are planning something "epic", but the fact that there's some uncertainty surrounding the project makes me think it's likely tour related, and the pandemic has scuppered their plans.

Sherbet Head
It's a weird year for everyone though, Pandemic, Brexit! Maybe they are just holding back business.
I'm not sure what issues they're dealing with but shipping physical releases all around Europe will be affected by the Brexit car crash. Maybe they're working stuff out for that?
You could feel the bullshit

Sherbet Head

i love this community

Boqurant
Lol. You need to doctor that image with references to SpaceX and the Pioneer Plaque.

Pioneer plague anyone? Palace posies. We all fall down. That would make a good crazy post it board meme.

Anyway, back to the earlier comment on TH being the most coherent. Disagree. Geo is by far their most coherent exploration on numerology, satanism and Waco. It is perfectly conceived, in terms of subjects, samples, track order, length, file size, and a billion other things.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:It's a weird year for everyone though, Pandemic, Brexit! Maybe they are just holding back business.
I'm not sure what issues they're dealing with but shipping physical releases all around Europe will be affected by the Brexit car crash. Maybe they're working stuff out for that?

I don't want to speculate too much about it; but if they ever have financial issues, I'm pretty sure dropping a new BOC album might go a long way for that haha :wink:

I'm still going to be optimistic and go with their planning something route :)

New Seed
hm

Dayvan Cowboy
Farewell fire, bro

Dayvan Cowboy
This is exactly why I'm always going on about how BOC have never really used numerology for their release dates and generally shooting down predictions like the Jan 22 one. Everyone says "it's just fun speculation," but it's more than that- inevitably when the dates come and go there are always people who get angry, sad, or who go full doomer and say "BOC are never releasing anything else!!!"

Do not get too attached to these speculated dates. Take them with a grain of salt. As far as I'm concerned, the most likely scenario has always been that they release something on a seemingly random date with no other significance.

Friendly Stranger
phpBB [media]

I knew Carl Sagan's pale blue dot had somthing to do with AtalantaFugiens/BOC.........BTW Im only clutching at straws and having abit of fun in this weird and wonderful speculation page................Its all just abit of fun in the end

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada