GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Sherbet Head wrote:Initially I was slightly disappointed with Societas X as I'd foolishly hyped myself up to expect 2 hours of archival BoC material, but once the dust had settled, I learned to appreciate it for what it was: a damn good mixtape.

I still listen to it semi-regularly; usually once every couple of months or so. It's not very often that I'll commit 2 hours to revisiting a mixtape/DJ set, so this is an accomplishment in my book.

Agree with that totally. It's an exceptionally well put together mixtape – full of surprises, great transitions, and an ethereal closing track.

I haven't kept up with whether there are still tracks that haven't been sourced (so might be their work – although I doubt it other than the obvious one) but the whole thing just has their stamp all over it to the extent that I think about it as their release.

Eagle Minded
I love SxT. It opened up a whole new can of worms to BoC's sound and introduced me to so much good shit. Each artist has their own story and their own connections with BoC. We found some samples because of Societas, right? Awesome stuff
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
outhudd wrote:I might be remembering wrong, but I think that was the case with Tomorrow's Harvest? The whole ARG before that release was a label/marketing agency driven thing, not a BoC/HS thing. BoC just gave the OK for them to run it. I don't think the brothers have too much interest in that stuff.

That's not actually correct. Interviews strongly suggest the ARG was the band's idea.

"We really wanted to bring back a feeling of anticipation for new music that has largely been lost in recent years, mainly because of the internet. As with movies these days, everybody already knows absolutely everything that happens in a film before it even hits theatres. It kills the magic. So we were trying to figure out how to get younger listeners to experience some kind of buzz for the record in the way we used to as kids, which is really difficult to do these days because kids can have everything they want, almost at the press of a button."
-Marcus Eoin, "The Charms of the Sphinx" Interview in de:Bug 6/17/2013

That said, I don't see them repeating themselves with another ARG. I do think it's possible we'll see some kind of campaign but I think it'll take a different form.

Eagle Minded
Part of me wishes those Monoliths would have been the start.

Dayvan Cowboy
ColinWallis wrote:disappointment in Societas X Tape = ungrateful entitlement

they taught (and are still teaching) us so much with that mix...

c'mon

Hey, I love Societas X Tape, (perhaps the best mix I've heard and made with tons of love and care) but I'm still looking forward to hearing the new music too. I'd definitely rather have new music but Societas is the next best thing.

And as I said, if it foreshadows their next move, it might be the best thing from Warp 30. ;)

And like Sherbet head said, I actually get an urge to listen to Societas all the time. Perhaps because it's filled with so much mystery, much like the bros' art themselves.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
:|
"R-Worded"

Boqurant
I'm thankful the SX Tape reintroduced me to George Duke and many others. Lovin some 70's George Duke right now.
vLG = 627 +- 22 km/s >>> L =276° +- 3: b = 30° +- 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npq_yb-xLmw

Dayvan Cowboy
Navaru wrote:Part of me wishes those Monoliths would have been the start.

Did they ever figure out what that was all about? Could still be BOC related

Anyway, one thing I need to tell you guys is that there's always a BIG release every year. We haven't gotten a big blockbuster release yet. In fact, aside from archival, we've only gotten something from Squid, Lonelady and a Flylo soundtrack.

Part of me remains hopeful that the fact we haven't had a big name new release yet, may indicate that we might get a BOC release sometime this year!

Of course, I could be all washed up, as I usually am, but hey, it's nearing the 8th anniversary of TH, they must have been doing SOMETHING all this time. :D

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Navaru wrote:Part of me wishes those Monoliths would have been the start.

Did they ever figure out what that was all about? Could still be BOC related

Anyway, one thing I need to tell you guys is that there's always a BIG release every year. We haven't gotten a big blockbuster release yet. In fact, aside from archival, we've only gotten something from Squid, Lonelady and a Flylo soundtrack.

The Squid album is a blockbuster release imo. It's fantasmic. But I get what you're saying

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Did they ever figure out what that was all about?

It was a promotion for something on Netflix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-pKKM6CXr0

I think that if BoC were to drop some object or something IRL for people to find they would atleast include a logo or a turquoise hexagon or something for the fans to immediately identify as them, like when they dropped the records in 2013 they had "BOARDS OF CANADA" printed on them. For Geogaddi and TCH it was the same if I recall correctly, they always confirm from the start that its related to them.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
I don't see any reason for them to have to do anything that we expect, or that they've done before

Posts Quantity
Right, but don't you think that doing something so vague like that wouldn't work?
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
Ohh actually my bad I misread your post, I didn't realize you referring to a physical object or something similar, I thought you just meant if the dropped any hint online or something. Yeah if it was a vinyl or some akin, I think they'd have their watermark on it in some way. Sry I'm a dingus

But in terms of online stuff, I'm still convinced that adult swim instagram post was BoC, so I could see them dropping other sounds or material that hints towards something without giving any full proof

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:But in terms of online stuff, I'm still convinced that adult swim instagram post was BoC, so I could see them dropping other sounds or material that hints towards something without giving any full proof

With me, this is 50/50. Either it's BOC (or another artist in their vein) tossing something out to Adult Swim for shits and giggles, or it's simply Adult Swim being wacky/quirky like all their other videos.

The only thing that would lend to it being more important would be the fact that someone on here contacted the guy in charge of AS's output on social media and he did not respond and clarify what it was. Much like Warp when you send them an email :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
fefor wrote:
Echelon wrote:Did they ever figure out what that was all about?

It was a promotion for something on Netflix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-pKKM6CXr0

Actually it wasn't. Someone may have jumped on the bandwagon to make a Netflix series capitalizing on the monoliths, but the original creator and purpose of the very first one, the Utah monolith (and many others) is still unknown.

I definitely agree that any promotional campaign for new BOC music will be instantly and obviously identifiable as BOC though. Even with the TH ARG, which lwas full of puzzles, mysteries, etc, the original vinyls were clearly labeled as BOC and confirmed as legit by Warp immediately.

I miss them really bad and am kind of sad we didn't get anything in 2020 when we basically lived through a walking Tomorrow's Harvest. :(
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:I miss them really bad and am kind of sad we didn't get anything in 2020 when we basically lived through a walking Tomorrow's Harvest. :(

I miss them too, my friend, but perhaps they were letting the climate of a real TH sink in before their next move.

I feel TH was some kind of Cassandra type album where they didn't know what was going to happen, but they had premonitions of whatever it was. A feeling of malaise on the horizon radar.

I still believe that the "you okay" in Sometimes hints at where they're going next. We might be getting the anti-thesis of TH next, a beautiful, consoling album to help us escape from a real life Tomorrow's Harvest. If it's space themed, it might be as blissful as Brian Eno's Apollo Atmospheres. After all, all of Earth's problems are nonexistent in space...unless we bring them there. :twisted:

Eagle Minded
BoC has been too kind to us the last couple years, they've been giving us a lot more smoke signals and signs of life then they were back in the waiting period from 2005-2012. They'll definitely give us a warm hug next, they just needed to vent some of their frustrations with Tomorrow's Harvest.

Also I just noticed that the abbreviation for The Campfire Headphase is TCH, and the abbreviation for Tomorrow's Harvest is TH. Could the next album's title just be one word abbreviated as "T" or "H"??? I'm bullshitting ofc, but it popped into my head today and I couldn't resist the urge to share my stupid thought.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Boqurant
The Campfire Headphase and Trans Canada Highway can both be abbreviated as TCH
I wait, tense...then disappointed

Eagle Minded
funnnnpng wrote:BoC has been too kind to us the last couple years, they've been giving us a lot more smoke signals and signs of life then they were back in the waiting period from 2005-2012. They'll definitely give us a warm hug next, they just needed to vent some of their frustrations with Tomorrow's Harvest.

Also I just noticed that the abbreviation for The Campfire Headphase is TCH, and the abbreviation for Tomorrow's Harvest is TH. Could the next album's title just be one word abbreviated as "T" or "H"??? I'm bullshitting ofc, but it popped into my head today and I couldn't resist the urge to share my stupid thought.

You solved the mystery! New album's gonna be called "The "

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada