GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
vonS wrote:Frankly, looking at the comments, im not surprised everyone sees similarities in moments of BoC, Autechre and Aphex. They are all Gen Xrs that lived through the late 70s and 80s, prog rock, new wave, birth of electronica, hiphop, house, DnB, acid house, rave, shoegaze, sampling, etc.

notwithstanding they all went different directions, they are the same age, similar cultural referents, so of course you will have little paralells sometimes.

Was gonna mention this very thing^
Autechre and Boc were buddies and influenced each other. They swapped tapes together, and I'd say you can def hear Autechre in tracks on Twoism as well.

Regarding the earlier debate in the last page, music does not exist in a vacuum and so obviously you can find the sounds of certain musicians trickle down and be used by others. That's what so damn neat about music!

Eagle Minded
Calling out someone stealing old ideas is something I don't really understand. Do you know how hard it is to make something new? Not only that but new and something that will interest other people too? Look at rock, or any type of music really in the last decade or two. It is all just rehashing old ideas. BoC also used LOTS of old ideas, if you don't know this by now then it is your fault. Just check our discussion on samples here, that is just a small part of it. Want it or not, even your favourite artist is probably based on something that came before. By now I believe that every type of art was about rehashing and repackaging this entire time.

Ideas stay the same, presentation changes and adapts through time. If you dig in in 80s or even 70s experimental and avantgarde directions in electronic music you'll see that even BoC, AFX or Autechre didn't really invent anything new. Foundations were already made for them to build their vision on. It's the same for every other artist, whether he wants to admit it or not.

Some of you might know that there is an album by Italian artist from the 80s that was definitely a BIG inspiration for 90s Warp sound, including BoC and AE among others. Not only sound but definitely melodies and possibly samples too. What is weird is that no one ever mentioned this guy or even gave credits. I wonder what was that all about back then? Gonna share it here soon but I am trying to spread out those posts with findings to keep it interesting. :twisted:

Eagle Minded
I guess I'd have to have a definition of what "stealing old ideas" means. If a band recorded a song verbatim that say Jimi Hendrix wrote already, I'd call the band out for stealing an old idea.

But being influenced by something and making music that is similar is not "stealing" imo.

Also again I guess I'd need a clear definition of what you mean by New: I mean everything borrows, is inspired, and influences everything else. But I'd say that doesn't mean you can't make something new in terms of changing the game.

I also disagree with what you say about Rock music not changing much over the past decade, just take bands like Black Midi or Squid or Girl Band into account. I'll also offer my personal perspective, I was in a touring band for 7 - 8 years till 2020 and though I'm biased, a lot of people at shows said our sound was unique- but my point is, touring throughout the states, touring to Canada, playing in different spaces and different scenes, I saw a ton of artists and heard music that was very new, which was a very special thing about being in a live band. It wasn't exclusive to rock music either, it was literally any genre you could think of.

But I should say also, that we played with a ton of really lame, rehashed, derivative bands and artists as well.

I think you're maybe referring to the generalized image of this type of music on the surface. Another example, a record I keep bringing up, Spirit of the Beehive's Entertainment Death, while it definitely is a rock album, I'd be hard pressed to say anything else about the record other than it is very unique, and I've never heard anything like it. I consider that new

Eagle Minded
I listened to that Spirit of the Beehive album twice today at work, a good kind of claustrophobia, and dare I say had the anxious churn that Geogaddi provides.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'd also like to apologize if anyone thought I personally was saying BOC were totally original and that people who were indebt to their sound = bad artists. There's a lot of artists I love who took something from their forefathers and made something great with it. Like Frank Zappa and Edgar Varese.

I think a better way to phrase things is, for me, other people who make ambient tracks with detuned synthlines, hip-hop beats and samples lack BOC's perspective and personality as humans and that's what draws so many of us to them. Same with Aphex and Autechre. I think it's the spirit as much as the music that matters for people.

That said, I'm also fully under the belief that people can make better music than those artists too. It's all subjective anyway.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Navaru wrote:I listened to that Spirit of the Beehive album twice today at work, a good kind of claustrophobia, and dare I say had the anxious churn that Geogaddi provides.

I've felt a very similar feeling with the record! There's a constant sense of unease and beauty in each track. The last song even ends with a drone that sounds like "Ready Let's Go" at the beginning of Geogaddi. The folks in that band did a live stream of the album release at midnight on instagram and I mentioned Geogaddi and I think it was the girl who is the bassist and second singer who said "good record!" so they're certainly fans.

But yes I fully agree with what you said, music is subjective, and although I find it hard to find the same stimulus from a band that mimics another group like BoC, I certainly think the right creative mind in the right place can tap into something truly special, and that's where fantastic records come from. It doesn't necessarily have to relate to if it gives off vibes from another artist, but that can also enhance what's special about it.

Posts Quantity
i don't understand how you guys are acting like i was being harsh or something for talking some smack (reality) about Greta Van Fleet, and defending true creativity.

i never suggested that artists can't be massively influenced by others, but there is obviously a line.

i guess i'm a little passionate about what i believe is "real art" and what is "corrupted trash" designed and manipulated by an evil industry that is like some kind of creepy Big Brother mind control program designed to pump out mind numbing garbage full of subliminal messages in an attempt to keep you consuming, and keep you from from thinking critically and questioning anything in a real way.

that might go a little too far in to whacky conspiracy land, but i honestly pretty much believe there is something similar to that happening with mainstream music.
"R-Worded"

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:
Biznasty wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:Nothing major, but Warp just announced a new release from Lone Lady called Former Things (warp331). Seems like just a few days ago I was saying warp 333 is right around the corner (333 of course being their Twitter likes)!

Oh no... Not more numbers to look forward to. I can't do this again it was too painful last time...

Alright I'm in. They had 123, would Warp really give them 333 too?

Edit: Wait it says that Autechre - Quaristice is warplp333 already. I know Warp jump around a bit with their cat numbers but that's a big leap...

Hahaha that’s a good catch there.

There is however warplp321 available though... The opposite of Campfire Headphase? Campfire Headphase 2? Campfire Spacephase?

:lol:
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Eagle Minded
ColinWallis wrote:i don't understand how you guys are acting like i was being harsh or something for talking some smack (reality) about Greta Van Fleet, and defending true creativity.

i never suggested that artists can't be massively influenced by others, but there is obviously a line.

i guess i'm a little passionate about what i believe is "real art" and what is "corrupted trash" designed and manipulated by an evil industry that is like some kind of creepy Big Brother mind control program designed to pump out mind numbing garbage full of subliminal messages in an attempt to keep you consuming, and keep you from from thinking critically and questioning anything in a real way.

that might go a little too far in to whacky conspiracy land, but i honestly pretty much believe there is something similar to that happening with mainstream music.

I guess I'm just confused, are you saying that we're drinking the kool-aid? Also again, mainstream music needs definition. If you're talking about popular artists, I can give you maybe a list of a hundred artists that could be called mainstream and make an easy case for how it's original and not mind control.. Also I don't think recyclable garbage has the potency for mind control, it takes a higher iq in art / music design for that to be the case. I think most successful artists and influencers these days don't care about any of what you mentioned, they just care about money lol

ftw I do not dig Greta Van Fleet.

Eagle Minded
Also mainstream music is such a general term at this point that it's a joke. I would call the band Pile mainstream music for me, they're a Boston based band with a huge following, but they're local. I think mainstream is a lazy term, and isn't really applicable to the current state of music. Pile is a bigger band, they could be considered mainstream, but none of the opinions stated about that area of music would speak to their content. They're incredibly original despite being a mainstream rock band. Maybe I'm missing the point but I feel like I'm talking in circles.

Posts Quantity
Thats all nice and dandy, but how is all this twaddle gonna result in me listening to the new BOC album?

Eagle Minded
My two (completely useless) cents: I always say my all time three favourite bands are BoC, The Go! Team and Kings of Convenience. Kings have a new album next month after 13 years, The Go! Team have a new album on July... only one more for my personal holy trinity :lol: .

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:There is however warplp321 available though... The opposite of Campfire Headphase? Campfire Headphase 2? Campfire Spacephase?

:lol:

I actually dig this. You know why? Because Sometimes makes me think of Campfire Headphase (namely Davyan Cowboy) but spaceier and with piano and less guitars. It's just as beautiful though :)

I've noticed that Warp have one or two enormous releases each year. Last year was Autechre and Oneohtrix. Perhaps BOC will be the big release this year.

Man, I hope so. :D

Happy Cycler
Jango9 wrote:
vonS wrote:I disagree with all the talk about clones. There is a lot of crap out there, but the history of music is made from respect, collage, and standing on the shoulders of giants. The forum risks sounding like a boomer echo chamber, shouting at clouds.

Yeah, I think if more people here heard what a real BoC clone sounds like they'd lay off some of the accusations on these randoms who just happen to also like wobbly tape sounds and synthesizers lmao. How many of you remember Little Plastic Pilots? The dude who made that album cited his main influences as Autechre, Brian Eno, Fugazi, & Four Tet and described it as follows:
...it is a reflection of my life, encapsulating my dreams, hopes and memories while giving me a soundtrack to experience from. It is a perfect representation, in musical form, of who I am. (source)

And yet every single song on the album (with the exception of one) is a bargain basement BoC bootleg to the point where you can totally tell which BoC track inspired which LPP track. For example, compare this track to Pete Standing Alone:
phpBB [media]

And just in case it's still not immediately obvious, here's a handy dandy conversion chart:
Spoiler: show
1. Aquarius
2. An Eagle In Your Mind (with an intro that at least doesn't match any MHTRTC tracks)
3. Pete Standing Alone
4. Kaini Industries
5. Rue The Whirl
6. The Color Of The Fire
7. Telephasic Workshop
8. Constants Are Changing (wow, a Campfire Headphase track!)
9. Unknown (possibly a mangled June 9th? in any case it's the most original-sounding track on the album lmao)
10. Smokes Quantity

So yeah, some of the folks around here are probably jumping the gun but at the same time it's not like there are absolutely zero blatant BoC clones out there :P

And going back to the Led Zeppelin/Greta Van Fleet example from earlier, how many of you are aware of the avalanche of zepp-alikes that came out in their wake like Detective?
phpBB [media]

I actually own that Detective album on vinyl! It's not bad. Oh, don't forget Billy Squier. He came pretty close to Zep territory, too.

I've been around here for a good long while now, I have seen a lot of artists pass through here. Some did their own thing with BoC inspiration and some were just trying to imitate. It was usually pretty obvious who was who.

Boqurant
I do like this forum. Pop by, for the first time in ages, have a little moan, and nothing but good discussion. You are good people.

Boqurant
I gave up reading tea leaves ages ago. Any new release will happen whenever its ready, and it will most probably be delivered without mind games and ARGs. At least, that is my hope. The internet can get tiresome in that respect.

Dayvan Cowboy
vonS wrote:I gave up reading tea leaves ages ago. Any new release will happen whenever its ready, and it will most probably be delivered without mind games and ARGs. At least, that is my hope. The internet can get tiresome in that respect.

I was big on this at the start of the year. But alas, all of my divinations have failed. The only thing certain with them is fan videos on social media. And that's fine. I think they want to get away from ARGs and crazy stuff.

It's sort of like how people took Geogaddi too far and Mike and Marcus claimed people were hearing things that weren't even there.

Sherbet Head
We can still try asking an I-Ching :mrgreen:
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:We can still try asking an I-Ching :mrgreen:

I predict Hexagram 23.

"Things are not the way they seem: reality appears to be a hall of mirrors, intrigues are multiplying like summer flies, and there are rumors of discontent. It is the time of illusion, disintegration, distrust, and deception."

Seemed fitting with regards to the recent discussion.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada