GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Actually curious about this, but do you guys think they would ever Daft Punk us?

Love how that's a term now for any electronic group that splits unceremoniously

Hope, bro, hope

Dayvan Cowboy
MadMaz wrote:https://pitchfork.com/features/article/why-boards-of-canadas-music-has-the-right-to-children-is-the-greatest-psychedelic-album-of-the-90s/
They just exchanged a few emails

A shame they chose to communicate with Pitchfork. Such a terribly smug website and basically the Rolling Stone magazine for indie rock. The article is quite good though ( I had never seen the article until now and it really touches on all the facets of MHTRTC) and I especially like this bit at the end:

With Music Has the Right, BoC did build their own world, set apart from the wider currents of late-’90s electronica. After such an achievement, it would be unreasonable to expect the brothers to unfurl a wholly new sound and vision on each subsequent album. As their discography unfolded over the ensuing 20 years, Sandison and Eoin first intensified their approach with In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country and Geogaddi, then inflected it with the shoegaze-tinged The Campfire Headphase, and finally simply reiterated it with Tomorrow’s Harvest. But then the idea of Boards of Canada “progressing” or “evolving” goes against their very essence. Their intent with Music Has the Right to Children was to create a haunted haven outside the onward flow of Time. Why wouldn’t they want to live there forever?

Not only did it verify that BOC as an enterprise still exist, but it hints at a continued "future in the past" approach.

arvy wrote:
Echelon wrote:Actually curious about this, but do you guys think they would ever Daft Punk us?

Love how that's a term now for any electronic group that splits unceremoniously

Hope, bro, hope

Welcome back Arvy! Perhaps I should have hope. After all, it's one more day before Lonelady drops, clearing up the release window!

Maybe this is finally our time! Either that or more Yves Tumor and Jockstrap. These guys rule Warp more than the IDM giants these days.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:A shame they chose to communicate with Pitchfork. Such a terribly smug website and basically the Rolling Stone magazine for indie rock.

I think it has to do more with the author than the publication. Simon Reynolds has been covering them for a long time and has interviewed them before so I assume they have a good relationship.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Echelon wrote:A shame they chose to communicate with Pitchfork. Such a terribly smug website and basically the Rolling Stone magazine for indie rock.

I think it has to do more with the author than the publication. Simon Reynolds has been covering them for a long time and has interviewed them before so I assume they have a good relationship.

Was honestly surprised when the article managed to do justice to the album, but this explains it.

Thanks for calling it to my attention, especially for those fresh interview quotes.

Eagle Minded
MadMaz wrote:https://pitchfork.com/features/article/why-boards-of-canadas-music-has-the-right-to-children-is-the-greatest-psychedelic-album-of-the-90s/

Was meaning to put this on bocpages for a while. Now it's up.
Why Boards of Canada’s Music Has the Right to Children Is the Greatest Psychedelic Album of the ’90s

Happy Cycler
ZosoCon wrote:

Was meaning to put this on bocpages for a while. Now it's up.
Why Boards of Canada’s Music Has the Right to Children Is the Greatest Psychedelic Album of the ’90s

A fascinating read! A little more insight into their origins and their early processes / intentions. Kind of makes me rethink things like Catalog 3 as more of a sound collage... which makes me want to hear it EVEN MORE! Their description of rare one off cassettes is my world, baby!

Dayvan Cowboy
Reading this article put things in a bit more perspective as to how BOC are behaving in this new era (2014-2021) and makes me think, if they're going to go out, (hypothetically of course) they're going to go out with a bang, rather than a whimper like Daft Punk.

The love generated from this article and from what I see in the social media BOC fan communities leads me to believe BOC know how much they're loved and are probably planning something big. Something that will answer some of our questions and create many more that will probably go unanswered for the rest of our lives :D

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:Reading this article put things in a bit more perspective as to how BOC are behaving in this new era (2014-2021) and makes me think, if they're going to go out, (hypothetically of course) they're going to go out with a bang, rather than a whimper like Daft Punk.

The love generated from this article and from what I see in the social media BOC fan communities leads me to believe BOC know how much they're loved and are probably planning something big. Something that will answer some of our questions and create many more that will probably go unanswered for the rest of our lives :D

I still maintain my position that Societas X was a sort of "taster" for whatever it is they've got in the development pipeline next. Its contents make total sense if you're familiar with BoC's history, but for someone who's just been casually listening to their released albums it explores all kinds of unfamiliar territories.

Could it be a further exploration of some early sounds that they've yet to revisit like Campfire Headphase was ("the past inside the present")? Could it be an actual trip through some of the previously unreleased songs, the sounds of which were similar to and/or directly inspired by the contents of the SXT? Could it be something else entirely? Could it be nothing at all? As ever with BoC, the answer to all of the above questions is "maybe" :P
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Friendly Stranger
Societas X is the ARG for the new album...once all the tracks are identified the album will drop....Theyre trying to see how dedicated fans are... obv
Its a test

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:
Could it be a further exploration of some early sounds that they've yet to revisit like Campfire Headphase was ("the past inside the present")?

Imagine they're going to go full Wheeltower on us and give us a post-punk album. Fits because Warp is no longer an IDM label but a post punk one as of recent.

Juggle wrote:Societas X is the ARG for the new album...once all the tracks are identified the album will drop....Theyre trying to see how dedicated fans are... obv
Its a test

I have thought this on numerous occasions. But imagine there's a piece of music on there that's original and we'd never be able to identify it. Those sadists if that's the case! :lol:

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Reading this article put things in a bit more perspective as to how BOC are behaving in this new era (2014-2021) and makes me think, if they're going to go out, (hypothetically of course) they're going to go out with a bang, rather than a whimper like Daft Punk.

DP made a record they always wanted to make, in style of Moroder produced Donna Summer's I Remember Yesterday, and they retired. tbh I don't see how that's a wimper. I don't wanna speak about songs because those depend on individual tastes but it definitely is the best produced DP album.
Juggle wrote:Societas X is the ARG for the new album...once all the tracks are identified the album will drop....Theyre trying to see how dedicated fans are... obv
Its a test

Now this is the idea I like. although I don't believe that's the case. I've kind of ran into a dead end, if anyone still has some ideas please post them in according topic, I'll try to help out. Even if nothing else gets found I am still happy that SxT made me addicted to discovering forgotten gems. You wouldn't believe how much of their stuff can be sourced way back to the 70s and 80s and how far ahead they were in digging those out.

Dayvan Cowboy
Moz wrote:You wouldn't believe how much of their stuff can be sourced way back to the 70s and 80s and how far ahead they were in digging those out.

I think it relates to what they've said about trying to explore alternate routes that the history of music could've taken but didn't.

Dayvan Cowboy
Moz wrote:DP made a record they always wanted to make, in style of Moroder produced Donna Summer's I Remember Yesterday, and they retired. tbh I don't see how that's a wimper. I don't wanna speak about songs because those depend on individual tastes but it definitely is the best produced DP album.

I didn't mean RAM, which might be the most extravagant thing they've done. I meant waiting 8 years before splitting unceremoniously. I'm sure that was upsetting for people waiting for something new, though I'm sure there were probably meaningful circumstances why they split.

But yeah, they did get to go out on a love letter to their influences so if we consider RAM as the swansong, it makes sense. With Tomorrow's Harvest, there's still a big question mark ending. Is it truly all desolation or are plants sprouting from the cracks of the fallen civilization?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:But yeah, they did get to go out on a love letter to their influences so if we consider RAM as the swansong, it makes sense. With Tomorrow's Harvest, there's still a big question mark ending. Is it truly all desolation or are plants sprouting from the cracks of the fallen civilization?

Well SxT was also a love letter to their influences, so there's that.

Eagle Minded
I wanna be loved

Posts Quantity
i refuse to even consider they are done at this point.

who knows, but i don't think comparing them to Daft Punk makes any sense what so ever.

it would make more sense to compare them to the likes of FSOL, who never stop.

personally i feel that is a more likely similar pathway.

my gut tells me they will not actually stop for a very very long time, if ever.

we might see even bigger gaps between releases than this in the future. still, i personally wouldn't be thinking they're done forever.

to me it seems pretty ridiculous actually, the idea of them quitting.

sorry to say, for huge Daft Punk fans (i like them too) - but BoC clearly has a lot more going for them. they have a wider, more complex style with far more to offer, and uncover. Daft Punk ending actually isn't that shocking... Boards on the other hand would be quite baffling..

feel free to bitch me out, i don't care - but isn't it incredibly obvious that Boards of Canada simply have a deeper connection, passion and appreciation for music? as well as a far more complicated and nuanced vision / perception of what music can be??

i guess i just find the Daft Punk comparison silly.

they're great, but c'mon.
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
ColinWallis wrote:
sorry to say, for huge Daft Punk fans (i like them too) - but BoC clearly has a lot more going for them. they have a wider, more complex style with far more to offer, and uncover. Daft Punk ending actually isn't that shocking... Boards on the other hand would be quite baffling..

I actually think DP have quite a deep well of influences too, simply for different things. The song Teachers and the liner notes of Homework list a shit ton of them, while RAM has them directly involving Nile Rodgers and Giorgio. There were questionable songs on RAM (IMO) but the influences on that album and the overall direction were well crafted.

That's actually another similarity between BOC and DP. They both squeeze a lot of different oranges to make their own minute maid!

I do agree though that BOC are artists and people I more identify with than DP despite several parallels in their career. DP are more creative hedonists while BOC seem to piece everything together to paint a bigger picture of humanity. Nothing wrong with either approach, but being an introvert, I identify more with the latter.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:
Moz wrote:DP made a record they always wanted to make, in style of Moroder produced Donna Summer's I Remember Yesterday, and they retired. tbh I don't see how that's a wimper. I don't wanna speak about songs because those depend on individual tastes but it definitely is the best produced DP album.

I didn't mean RAM, which might be the most extravagant thing they've done. I meant waiting 8 years before splitting unceremoniously. I'm sure that was upsetting for people waiting for something new, though I'm sure there were probably meaningful circumstances why they split.

But yeah, they did get to go out on a love letter to their influences so if we consider RAM as the swansong, it makes sense. With Tomorrow's Harvest, there's still a big question mark ending. Is it truly all desolation or are plants sprouting from the cracks of the fallen civilization?

Well, if you believe the rumors, the next album is going to be about space and humanity's exploration into the stars. Maybe humanity finally leaves Earth after destroying it.

I hope this one will be a little more optimistic. The world could use that right now.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Welcome back Arvy!

Hey Echelon, Namaste!

bocbocbocboc wrote:Well, if you believe the rumors, the next album is going to be about space and humanity's exploration into the stars. Maybe humanity finally leaves Earth after destroying it.

I hope this one will be a little more optimistic. The world could use that right now.

In other words, you are not yourself when you are hungry, take snickers. And fuck those crakchead aliens, are they even paying taxes?

Sherbet Head
Finally got my blue dot on sheol boundary today

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada