GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:I think their actions and responses based off of the expectations they've garnered over the years is perhaps the most healthy way to handle making music for the public - remove yourself out of the equation. A lot of artists do survive or thrive in the public eye, but considering context, sometimes remaining in the background and giving yourself boundaries that don't belong to what fans want is how the music is crafted in its most basic and essential way.

So when I hear people say it will never be received as well or live up to what is expected - my personal advice is just expect the unexpected and don't accept the disappointment you see others express and just listen and decide for yourselves. And it doesn't really matter at all how much it lives up to how it's received or anticipated - I feel like that is the antithesis to how they make their music... or I'm just projecting

Though to be fair, the bands popularity has majorly increased since tomorrow’s harvest, if you go on YouTube and search boards of Canada & click on today you’ll get 2 or 3 videos of BoC fan-made videos that say “3 hours ago” And I wouldn’t of thought they’d be that popular (well I mean on YouTube) Even though their last album was in 2013 I’m seeing daily videos for its songs (probably because of the themes that now represent scarily the past two years)

I mean if tomorrow’s harvest was one (if not the best) album of 2013, you must feel the weight on their shoulders to follow it up as it’s quite a hard to do :|

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:I think their actions and responses based off of the expectations they've garnered over the years is perhaps the most healthy way to handle making music for the public - remove yourself out of the equation. A lot of artists do survive or thrive in the public eye, but considering context, sometimes remaining in the background and giving yourself boundaries that don't belong to what fans want is how the music is crafted in its most basic and essential way.

So when I hear people say it will never be received as well or live up to what is expected - my personal advice is just expect the unexpected and don't accept the disappointment you see others express and just listen and decide for yourselves. And it doesn't really matter at all how much it lives up to how it's received or anticipated - I feel like that is the antithesis to how they make their music... or I'm just projecting

Though to be fair, the bands popularity has majorly increased since tomorrow’s harvest, if you go on YouTube and search boards of Canada & click on today you’ll get 2 or 3 videos of BoC fan-made videos that say “3 hours ago” And I wouldn’t of thought they’d be that popular (well I mean on YouTube) Even though their last album was in 2013 I’m seeing daily videos for its songs (probably because of the themes that now represent scarily the past two years)

I mean if tomorrow’s harvest was one (if not the best) album of 2013, you must feel the weight on their shoulders to follow it up as it’s quite a hard to do :|

Agreed. Professionals should feel the pressure of possible failure. Respect the silence.

Eagle Minded
^I don't understand, are you agreeing with what I said or disagreeing lol. I don't think anyone should "feel the pressure of failure," that seems a little selfish at least in the way it's worded. Artists shouldn't be required to do anything imo, and having a parasocial relationship with your audience in which you "owe" them something seems totally contrary to their music.

Also it's worth noting that I've observed a lot of close to the hip fans not being so stoked about TH (though I dig it) so I don't really think that argument about it being so great = more pressure. I honestly think they make an effort to remove themselves from the equation, that's my opinion, but I guess I would follow up by asking you (general you, anyone who thinks this way) what makes you think that they do feel this pressure? It's conjecture at the end of the day

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:^I don't understand, are you agreeing with what I said or disagreeing lol. I don't think anyone should "feel the pressure of failure," that seems a little selfish at least in the way it's worded. Artists shouldn't be required to do anything imo, and having a parasocial relationship with your audience in which you "owe" them something seems totally contrary to their music.

Also it's worth noting that I've observed a lot of close to the hip fans not being so stoked about TH (though I dig it) so I don't really think that argument about it being so great = more pressure. I honestly think they make an effort to remove themselves from the equation, that's my opinion, but I guess I would follow up by asking you (general you, anyone who thinks this way) what makes you think that they do feel this pressure? It's conjecture at the end of the day

Feeling pressure of failing, separates average from great. Greats tend to go a mile away to achieve more. Not every fart should be consider an art. If you don't have something important to say, better to stay silent.

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:^I don't understand, are you agreeing with what I said or disagreeing lol. I don't think anyone should "feel the pressure of failure," that seems a little selfish at least in the way it's worded. Artists shouldn't be required to do anything imo, and having a parasocial relationship with your audience in which you "owe" them something seems totally contrary to their music.

Feeling pressure of failing, separates average from great. Greats tend to go a mile away to achieve more. Not every fart should be consider an art. If you don't have something important to say, better to stay silent.

=> would loove for them to make (you like to say a curveball), another TCH part 2, to throw everybody of guard. This would mean, that they don't care what others want. This is what I really enjoy about art, complete dedication or total freedom.

Eagle Minded
anyone else in the FB group see that IABPOITC book??? crazy cool. the ultimate BoC collectors item.
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:
arvy wrote:

=> would loove for them to make (you like to say a curveball), another TCH part 2, to throw everybody of guard. This would mean, that they don't care what others want. This is what I really enjoy about art, complete dedication or total freedom.

=> To separate, lack of effort against subverting expectations. You are already creepled by the pressure, but still, even if you can, you do exactly opposite. I MY OPINION, this is the essence of Boards of Canada. They have thousands of unreleased matterial, but you will never going to see it. Why? You guess.

Dayvan Cowboy
Honestly, i thought that TH was such a left turn that I was initially put off. I mean it's an honest to God post apocalpytic soundtrack from the 80s versus the 90s hip-hop drums plus detuned synths trip-hop of the rest of their career.

I've eventually gotten to the point where I think it's really solid for its genre and very fitting for now. It also exemplifies what Arvy wrote about great artists going a mile away from what they did previously. BOC are great artists because they strive to take their sound further. Especially last decade when vaporwave (a genre they essentially created) became a popular thing and a lot of people were aping that classic BOC sound.

I get a feeling that what BOC are going to do next is going to be homage to more genres of music that the vaporwavers don't casually listen to and probably weren't even born yet when it was released aka Societas Tape.

I'm sure there's pressure for BOC to create mind blowing music, but they operate separately from all the music they inspired. (Well except Bibio for TCH ;) )
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy

Well I should clarify what I meant about pressure, tommorow’s harvest explores themes of isolation, nothingness & “the inevitable stage that lies ahead” i imagine it would be quite hard to move past those themes and return with something all together different (heck, the do that with every album) but the recent album feels mismatched with the previous 3 (in terms of themes not musicality).
But on the lighter side I’m all for BoC album 5: a new age! :]

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote: tommorow’s harvest explores themes of isolation, nothingness & “the inevitable stage that lies ahead” i imagine it would be quite hard to move past those themes and return with something all together different

This is honestly why the theme of space seems like such a viable option. Earth is fucked, time to leave and hope we don't repeat the same mistakes we made here (but probably will) aka New Seeds

Also if the Pioneer's Plaque art truly existed as early as August/September 2013, then they knew about the concept of their next album immediately. Much like they knew about TH right after finishing Trans Canada/Campfire Headphase

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote: tommorow’s harvest explores themes of isolation, nothingness & “the inevitable stage that lies ahead” i imagine it would be quite hard to move past those themes and return with something all together different

This is honestly why the theme of space seems like such a viable option. Earth is fucked, time to leave and hope we don't repeat the same mistakes we made here (but probably will) aka New Seeds

Also if the Pioneer's Plaque art truly existed as early as August/September 2013, then they knew about the concept of their next album immediately. Much like they knew about TH right after finishing Trans Canada/Campfire Headphase

Yep, constantly making music, like busy bee’s flying around their hexagon hive! Martian lands here we come! or some other idea. (You can feel the unpredictability)

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:

I would love for them to explore the depth of human psychic. And how sound interconnects with it. How the human mind fade out with the age. Why we feel sad or feel happy in certain ways. I hope they will find a seclude lake in the middle of dark dark forest, with very dark and quite waters. And will be willing to look in to it. Stay there and never go back.

Dayvan Cowboy
“How the human mind fades out with age”

Reminds me of the caretaker’s’ together at the end of time’ series.

Eagle Minded
I could also see them descending into more hellish, creepy Geogaddi-style stuff in the wake of so much nihilism, darkness and cynicism - they are certainly comfortable with confronting difficult feelings or themes and our universe is rife with material for that lately...

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:I could also see them descending into more hellish, creepy Geogaddi-style stuff in the wake of so much nihilism, darkness and cynicism - they are certainly comfortable with confronting difficult feelings or themes and our universe is rife with material for that lately...

The Pioneer's Plaque being on the Hell Interface channel may indicate we're in for Dante's Inferno in IDM form.

Posts Quantity
i agree, i could definitely see some Geogaddi-esque stuff coming. perhaps that style blended with some of the 70's psychedelia we heard on Societas.

Especially if you think that Adult Swim Balloon Clip is them. I think it sounds very Geogaddi like.

Now to listen to it on loop again for a few minutes lol.

CHEERS
"R-Worded"

Posts Quantity
oh, right, and cause the Pioneer Plaque has appeared again....

interesting.... perhaps we will get some actual (polished) Geogaddi leftovers on the next record.
"R-Worded"

Eagle Minded
ColinWallis wrote:oh, right, and cause the Pioneer Plaque has appeared again....

interesting.... perhaps we will get some actual (polished) Geogaddi leftovers on the next record.

What do you mean it "appeared again"? Where is it now? Did I miss something?
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Eagle Minded
Can someone link to the balloon AS thing again? I think I missed it

Posts Quantity
Biznasty wrote:
ColinWallis wrote:oh, right, and cause the Pioneer Plaque has appeared again....

What do you mean it "appeared again"? Where is it now? Did I miss something?

Just the Hell Interface youtube banner, changed to the Pioneer Plaque at either the very end of August or, beginning of September of last year.
"R-Worded"

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada