Zoetrope appreciation thread

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I gotta say that it's also a hoot to watch Zoetrope in a graphic EQ. It's like a ballet.

Happy Cycler
I can't think of a more perfect way to close IBPOITC than Zoetrope. There's a delicateness to it.. (and a sadness too) that I think perfectly represents the mood of that ep.

Dayvan Cowboy
I can't think of a more perfect way to close IBPOITC than Zoetrope. There's a delicateness to it.. (and a sadness too) that I think perfectly represents the mood of that ep.

very well put...i cant agree more...[/quote]

Sherbet Head
it's definately one of the ones that took a bit for me to warm to, but it's an excellent track.

I've actually watched a lot of tracks in the spectral analyzer, it's very fun. Especially with pure synthesized sounds, they come out as very clearly defined marks on the graph. But it's equally fun looking at the different patterns that come from different types of instruments, or from vocalists. And of course the percussion is great, you can see the regular little ticks of the hit hats and the solid lines of the bass drums.

I'll admit I've listened to nearly all of BoC's work while watching it in the spectrum analyzer. No Windowlicker messages so far though :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Moebius wrote:I'll admit I've listened to nearly all of BoC's work while watching it in the spectrum analyzer. No Windowlicker messages so far though :)

Hi Five, Me Too

We should have a Spectrum party.

Posts Quantity
So sorry to bump such an old thread, but this didn't really warrant a new one, and there aren't many Zoetrope threads on the site already :)

I've always thought Zoetrope was very unique, both for BoC and also music in general, I'd never heard anything similar.

I heard this today and it reminded me of it more than any other track. Same instrument / synth maybe?

The Irresistible Force - Mountain High (UK Ambient, 1992)
https://youtu.be/KCSqIU5KaXI?t=110s

Eagle Minded
outhudd wrote:So sorry to bump such an old thread, but this didn't really warrant a new one, and there aren't many Zoetrope threads on the site already :)

I've always thought Zoetrope was very unique, both for BoC and also music in general, I'd never heard anything similar.

I heard this today and it reminded me of it more than any other track. Same instrument / synth maybe?

The Irresistible Force - Mountain High (UK Ambient, 1992)
https://youtu.be/KCSqIU5KaXI?t=110s

Nice one, I hear it too.

Eagle Minded
If ya'll are familiar with the Earthbound soundtrack, there are some similar sounding textures / musical moments to Zoetrope. I used to not like that song as much until I played Earthbound lol

The song overall has a "videogame"-esque quality to it imo

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:If ya'll are familiar with the Earthbound soundtrack, there are some similar sounding textures / musical moments to Zoetrope. I used to not like that song as much until I played Earthbound lol

I'm so happy someone mentioned Earthbound in comparison to BOC. There's a lot off-beat, detuned music in the games that's very reminiscent of our favorite IDMers. The Happy Happy Cult music is like something you'd hear in one of the creepier tracks in Geogaddi. There's sort of a "Zen, hippie peacefulness" that is constantly interrupted by weird synths and delirium.

The music in the bar and Moonside are also very BOC-ish. Man, I really miss those games.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
For me Zoetrope is up there with the best boc tracks and its definitely them at their most artiest, I mean, it sounds like a flickering light shining through, well... a zoetrope :lol: - spinning at full speed in a dimly lit room

Had a really profound experience listening whilst on a particularly heavy set of psychedelics many many moons ago and I had the red arms of the Geogaddi cover flickering and bouncing round the room with the sound, beautiful stuff!

I've always wondered if they came up with the track title first and built the sound around that or if it was just a perfect name to contextualise it as to me its one of the most visual stimulating pieces of music I think I've heard

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:If ya'll are familiar with the Earthbound soundtrack, there are some similar sounding textures / musical moments to Zoetrope. I used to not like that song as much until I played Earthbound lol

I'm so happy someone mentioned Earthbound in comparison to BOC. There's a lot off-beat, detuned music in the games that's very reminiscent of our favorite IDMers. The Happy Happy Cult music is like something you'd hear in one of the creepier tracks in Geogaddi. There's sort of a "Zen, hippie peacefulness" that is constantly interrupted by weird synths and delirium.

The music in the bar and Moonside are also very BOC-ish. Man, I really miss those games.

Yes! Absolutely! Thank you for saying so, I mean topically Earthbound does discuss a lot of similar themes that appear in BoC's catalogue, and what with the EB soundtrack being inspired by pyschedelicism from artists like the Beatles and Pop music also being a constant with BoC. The Moonside theme in particular is pretty esoteric (appropriately), but yeah there is that fusion of counterculture observance and underlying cultish malevolence in both the Mother Games and BoC's music.

In a different way, Earthbound seems to confront the nostalgia of childhood while edging out greater nightmarish stuff buried underneath, much like the music of Boards of Canada. Probably because these are relatively universal human things that we all confront in one way or another. Sry for the rant but I am currently mid-epiphany lol

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:
Echelon wrote:

Yes! Absolutely! Thank you for saying so, I mean topically Earthbound does discuss a lot of similar themes that appear in BoC's catalogue, and what with the EB soundtrack being inspired by pyschedelicism from artists like the Beatles and Pop music also being a constant with BoC. The Moonside theme in particular is pretty esoteric (appropriately), but yeah there is that fusion of counterculture observance and underlying cultish malevolence in both the Mother Games and BoC's music.

In a different way, Earthbound seems to confront the nostalgia of childhood while edging out greater nightmarish stuff buried underneath, much like the music of Boards of Canada. Probably because these are relatively universal human things that we all confront in one way or another. Sry for the rant but I am currently mid-epiphany lol

I've always felt that those two franchises, BOC and Earthbound were connected for the reasons you highlighted. The psychedelic references combined with the nostalgia and darkness is exactly like BOC. The creator of Earthbound was inspired by some recent cult in Japan in the 90s, much like BOC with the Branch Davidians.

Also, Twoism, the track sounds a lot like the Earthbound selection screen with those weird bird noises.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I've always felt that those two franchises, BOC and Earthbound were connected for the reasons you highlighted. The psychedelic references combined with the nostalgia and darkness is exactly like BOC. The creator of Earthbound was inspired by some recent cult in Japan in the 90s, much like BOC with the Branch Davidians.

Also, Twoism, the track sounds a lot like the Earthbound selection screen with those weird bird noises.

Ah now that you mention it, I definitely hear it!

Sherbet Head
Zoetrope is the mutt's nuts and I'll fight anyone who says differently.

Eagle Minded
I love the way the synth slowly goes out of tune throughout the entire track, like it's an old machine slowly winding down before shutting off completely.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Happy Cycler
Used to be one of my least favourite BoC tracks, but now it is one of my absolute favourites.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada