Geogaddi 20th Anniversary Thread

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:I'd rather have BoC's old outtakes than BoC's new intakes.

Who knows, when the time comes, maybe we'll get both so we won't have to choose. :wink:
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Twentington wrote:I'd settle for a reissue vinyl with the Japanese bonus track, my dads a member of the Mormon priesthood and From one source always hits me right in the feels, bitter sweet memories of being forced to read the 13 Mormon articles of faith out loud during sacrament every Sunday with all the other children, I was about the same age as the kids in the recording are too.

Man It took years of teenage angst followed by subsequent years of psychedelic exploration to get on the other side of that trip :lol:

We believe all men will be punished for their own sins and not Adam's transgressions

Right there with you. I still get pangs of guilt at times. It’s a long road out.

Eagle Minded
02.18.22: limited edition geogaddi stickers*
(insert new autechre album here)
02.18.23: limited edition geogaddi stickers* restock

* not designed by boc
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
NorthSaturnian wrote:02.18.22: limited edition geogaddi stickers*
(insert 6 autechre albums here)
02.18.23: limited edition geogaddi stickers* restock

* not designed by boc

Fixed. Though I'm always down for some more overabundance of Ae's albums.

Dayvan Cowboy
This album is still so good and just unrestrained in its excess. It just went all in and kept packing the box tighter and tighter.

I love what they've done since and particularly in their remix work they've just got so much better at juggling different sounds, but I'd love to hear them take all they've learned and go back to this kind of style, before they learned restraint

Posts Quantity
Was going to make a new thread, but I'll ask it here:

On the Alpha & Omega 12" promo for Geogaddi, "Beware The Friendly Stranger" includes a locked groove at the end, according to the notes on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Boards-Of-Canad ... se/1078940

Does anyone know if the locked groove contains music? Is the end of BTFS looped, or is it just a normal locked groove with silence?

Posts Quantity
Group Hex wrote:
Right there with you. I still get pangs of guilt at times. It’s a long road out.

haha ex-mormon or just ex fundamentalist?

I don't get any guilt at all except when my dad tries to nag me and my kids off to church events "oh but there'll be a free bouncy castle and rounders to play for the kids to play on if you come to the church social" - they'll try and lure you in with wholesome activities and then before you know it your name is Elder and you're sent on a mission from God to save :lol:

Boqurant
In an attempt to recreate the geogaddi cover, I used the kaleidoscope filter in GIMP 2 (GNU Image Manipulation Program) with the original image from bocpages as a source. It's not exact, but I tried to get it as close as possible.

Interesting to note that in order to get it to turn out properly, the original image had to be rotated 180 degrees or upside-down. The album image could've been made with other methods so this is just coincidence. To get the colors of the cover would require more editing, so I will post it here with original source color as-is:

You've recorded over 90 songs for Geogaddi.
Only 22 - and the silent Magic Window - made it onto the album. At Cambersands you played an utterly brilliant new track that's not on the album.

Marcus: It's about what fits in the context of the album. When we play live we often play tracks that haven't been released. Sometimes those tracks will be used later, sometimes we will move on from that sound and leave the track behind.

How many hours of music went through the drain?
Any chance of a quick follow-up to Geogaddi or, at least, an EP then?

Mike: Haha, yeah there will be another record very soon after this one. As Marcus said, you make an album by compiling what fits together, and we're already putting together a different record.

source: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Play_Twice_Before_Listening

I'll just leave this here in case they need some inspiration for the 20th birthday.
#geogaddiouttakes #accompanyingep #takemymoneynow

Dayvan Cowboy
20 years...wow. I remember being in middle school and asking my mom to take me to the mall to get the CD. Time is so crazy. I expect nothing from boc or warp but thanks for blowing my mind by pointing out the TIME. What a trip.

Dayvan Cowboy
Calling it now: the only bonus track will be the extended/full mix of "Magic Window". :lol:

Sorry. It's my fave album by them, couldn't resist. Any bonus tracks would be swell but as many suspect, I doubt anything momentous would occur. Of course, if they actually DO release something with unreleased tracks, I will pore over it endlessly....
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Eagle Minded
Phew, it's been a while since I've sat down and listened to Geogaddi with studio headphones and listen to the whole thing. I know most of this goes without saying, or is explained somewhere on bocpages, but my god the album is a sonic masterpiece.

Not only with it's ideas, numerology and references, but with how they work purely with sound. It's pretty standard for them to include back-masked and reversed samples in their music, but every single bit of percussion and drum beat on every song is built from forward and reversed samples.

Not only that, they manage to build whole songs (not including voices) out of a couple samples. The main sample of Julie and Candy is likely reused (counted in my head while listening) 8 times. But there are slight variations used in the right and left of the stereo field. In a greater span, they reuse samples constantly throughout the record. I also think they used and continue to use the same instrument for bass on nearly their whole LP catalogue.

Considering their use of stereo space, you can tell how they add reverb to lower frequencies to replicate actual reverb outside, in the real world (there's an interview somewhere where they talk about this). Every texture, including the voice on Opening of the Mouth, seems to have backwards & forwards delay, regardless of if the direction of the sound or sample in question. The palindromic structure of TH probably was fully realized while they made this album. I Saw Drones solidifies this practice.

After listening to it again, and comparing it with TH, I honestly find the latter a lot more dark. I also am quite sure at least one of the 90 motifs or songs that didn't make it onto Geogaddi were used on TH.

Lastly the Devil is in the Details doesn't seem unsettling anymore, it actually feels like a relaxing meditation lol. And it feels like it's woven like a sonic tapestry, which each instrument, sound or voice interweave. No I'm not on acid, but you basically don't need it anytime you go back to the record. I did listen to it on acid once though years ago, and it was totally inspiring.

Eagle Minded
I should also note, and I'm sure contrarians will be quick to point out, that yes, there are quite a few songs that feature melodies with vocal samples. Vocals do play a large role in their music in a unique way.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the record is considerably less composed by electronic synths or drum machines than it is real instruments and samples. 1969 is a great example of this

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:Not only with it's ideas, numerology and references, but with how they work purely with sound. It's pretty standard for them to include back-masked and reversed samples in their music, but every single bit of percussion and drum beat on every song is built from forward and reversed samples.

Not only that, they manage to build whole songs (not including voices) out of a couple samples. The main sample of Julie and Candy is likely reused (counted in my head while listening) 8 times. But there are slight variations used in the right and left of the stereo field. In a greater span, they reuse samples constantly throughout the record. I also think they used and continue to use the same instrument for bass on nearly their whole LP catalogue.

Considering their use of stereo space, you can tell how they add reverb to lower frequencies to replicate actual reverb outside, in the real world (there's an interview somewhere where they talk about this). Every texture, including the voice on Opening of the Mouth, seems to have backwards & forwards delay, regardless of if the direction of the sound or sample in question. The palindromic structure of TH probably was fully realized while they made this album. I Saw Drones solidifies this practice.

I think Gyroscope, TSWN, and OTHR are also fantastic examples of how they utilized backmasked samples. At the end of Gyroscope is a sample of a guitar that in its original state has a pretty steady rhythm, but when the song is played normally it almost sounds syncopated. OTHR kind of does the opposite, and I'm still not sure how TSWN is actually supposed to sound, it's almost like they tried the whole play-reverse-copy the reverse-reverse the copy process.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
The ending of Gyroscope in reverse is mesmerizing

Dayvan Cowboy
There’s a YouTube video that some of you might’ve seen that was posted on r/boardsofcanada today and I can honestly say this guy has some geogaddi interpretations that I’d never considered, worth watching https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uS9LMLa_W-Y

Eagle Minded
rodox_head wrote:I think Gyroscope, TSWN, and OTHR are also fantastic examples of how they utilized backmasked samples. At the end of Gyroscope is a sample of a guitar that in its original state has a pretty steady rhythm, but when the song is played normally it almost sounds syncopated. OTHR kind of does the opposite, and I'm still not sure how TSWN is actually supposed to sound, it's almost like they tried the whole play-reverse-copy the reverse-reverse the copy process.

Yeah I agree, TSWN is a micro mind fuck, and it's neat how when the song is played forward or reverse, some of the samples are still the same, like the "I've been gone about a week" or the weird unsettling "We love you all" sound.

Also something I'd never distinguished before, but at the end of You Could Feel the Sky, I always heard that female sounding voice that repeats as the song fades, but never heard that it was saying "take my hand." Was kinda eerie to pick up on that. I assume it's noted on bocpages

Eagle Minded
I hear “help us” when “take my hand” is being said in reverse, try it out, super creeps

https://youtu.be/Qs3rWT1KZYg

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:Also something I'd never distinguished before, but at the end of You Could Feel the Sky, I always heard that female sounding voice that repeats as the song fades, but never heard that it was saying "take my hand." Was kinda eerie to pick up on that. I assume it's noted on bocpages

I always hear "too late".
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada