GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
zeoevil wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
phpBB [media]

Thousands and thousands of posts about Boards of Canada, each more climactic than the last! Constant, dizzying, twenty-four hour, yearlong, endless posts about Boards of Canada! Every letter of them massively mattering to someone, presumably. See it all, all here, all the time, forever, it will never stop, the posts about Boards of Canada are officially going on forever! It will never be finally decided when Boards of Canada will release an album! There is still everything to post about, and forever to post about it in! So that's twoism! Coming up! Post about Boards of Canada! Listen to Boards of Canada! Listen to it! Listen to it! It's gonna move... Listen to Boards of Canada! It's Boards of Canada!

Yeah, it is one just to consume, another to carry that shit in your head, probably, 24/7. In other words, ones fun, others hard work.

Eagle Minded
I think that's over simplification if I'm understanding the observation. Imo I wouldn't make anything if it just felt like 'work.' An artist can quit if they don't feel the love. If I'm wrong on this, then my bad.

But if I am understanding this correctly, I think this is projection. I doubt the brothers labor over pressure for new material, because they don't have to, and also they continue to prove that they only work and release things when they want to.

If they have an entire catalogue of unreleased stuff that they haven't shared, then what leads anyone to the conclusion that they are caught up in fan expectations? And further more why would that equate to work?

Eagle Minded
I think people are way too focused on trying to conceptualize how artists think about their art and their fanbase. A lot of really silly false platitudes come from that, and I think they, like many respectable artists, don't give a shit in a sense that they trust their own judgement in their process over the things that are constantly speculated

Dayvan Cowboy
I think it’s already been established that BOC’s a hobby for these guys. They’ve got their own personal jobs which are nobody’s business but their own. I view Boards of Canada as their project to communicate their thoughts on the world through instrumental music. And they do a pretty damned good job at that
I think the main reason I want them to come back, is because they seemed to have pretty good foresight with Tomorrow’s Harvest. I’d love to hear how they feel now, especially since they’ve been vindicated.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
NTFMTS wrote:I think people are way too focused on trying to conceptualize how artists think about their art and their fanbase. A lot of really silly false platitudes come from that, and I think they, like many respectable artists, don't give a shit in a sense that they trust their own judgement in their process over the things that are constantly speculated

100%

all, or most artists probably want to be successful in some sense, but they do not really care or pay any attention to speculations and criticisms - at least the real ones, tend to not give a fuck what anyone thinks, which sounds like a cliche but is pretty much true. you want someone to appreciate it or enjoy it maybe, but beyond that it's hard to make legitimate original works of art if you're concerned with such triviality.
"R-Worded"

Posts Quantity
this is a slippery subject though, because of course all artists also have people they look up to, so obviously, you have to kind of care what some people think, but you have to be very careful who you listen to / "let in"..
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
Just a heads up as i’ve just seen this on BoC reddit, makes a startling change from all the shitposts over there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada/comments/px5c9k/the_magic_window_was_hacked/
Seems like BOC magic window discord has been hacked, if anyone has an account. Read this.

Eagle Minded
hexagon sun is taking over. i knew this would happen
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
What a niche discord to hack. I feel good

Eagle Minded
Who wants to spin up a VM and see if we don't get some new clue for the malicious code? hahaha
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Eagle Minded
Odds we hit page 900 before any big news?
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:Odds we hit page 900 before any big news?

sit tight

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:

sit tight

Heard from the Horizon Radar

Eagle Minded

I can almost guarantee we'll hit the thousands before any big news.

We've racked up a whopping 230 pages in the span of a year, and it all it took was a new remix and a Hell Interface profile picture update.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:I think it’s already been established that BOC’s a hobby for these guys.

Why do you think this? I am not trying to suggest that they're millionaires but I can't imagine that they're not at a level where they could leave their day jobs behind and still make a modest sustainable living. Am I being naive?

And to keep it on topic: I'd love to hear something new from the brothers regardless of what it is.
+++++++++++++++++++++
bandcamp

Boqurant
bendu wrote:
Echelon wrote:I think it’s already been established that BOC’s a hobby for these guys.

Why do you think this? I am not trying to suggest that they're millionaires but I can't imagine that they're not at a level where they could leave their day jobs behind and still make a modest sustainable living. Am I being naive?

And to keep it on topic: I'd love to hear something new from the brothers regardless of what it is.

They have kids lol, it takes more than some modern-day royalties to raise a family.

Posts Quantity
NorthernPlastics wrote:
bendu wrote:

They have kids lol, it takes more than some modern-day royalties to raise a family.

none of this really points toward Boards of Canada being a mere "hobby" for them though

if they do require more income than their music career offers, which may not even be the reason for them to have other jobs, this does not mean BoC is a hobby to them. to me this is pretty absurd, as it is known via interviews how seriously they take their art... it's kind of hilarious to suggest actually.

i'm sure in some senses it acts like a hobby at times, like it does for most artists, but to just call it a hobby flat out is extremely odd to me. almost like disrespectful or something
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:
Echelon wrote:

sit tight

Surprisingly, it’s not my message to PIC in Twenty-Nineteen that makes me cringe. It’s my overloaded and near dead cell phone XD

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Surprisingly, it’s not my message to PIC in Twenty-Nineteen that makes me cringe. It’s my overloaded and near dead cell phone XD

My phone battery doesn’t last five minutes! :wink: with every word I’m typing I’m getting apple alerts saying 20% battery remaining, 10% battery remaining, 5% etc, let’s hope I make to the final paragraph!

Has anyone seen some possibly BoC related comments of PIC’s Instagram? Could be nothing but on a post on the 8th of September he says

Outtakes & B-sides { I was always more in favour of the AA-sides tbh}.

Good ol' Peter with his cautiously possible hint dropping.

Here’s a bit more blatant comment from him some time back while promoting a book.

sometimes looking through a photobook is like listening to an album you’ve been waiting months for you favourite artist to release. I had read about @dylan.hausthor and @paulguilmoth book "sleep creek" for a while before I finally bought it pre-lockdown. When I first looked through it, each turn of the page was like listening to one track after another of that long awaited album, keeping your fingers crossed that the atmosphere would not let up......and it didn’t!
Love this book and the world that these guys inhabit. Taps into something lynchian. Album (book) of the year for me. Published by @photo_void go grab a copy!

Links to the first one
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTkeLP6o0es/?hl=en

Thoughts? (Probably unrelated to BoC)
Last edited by Orbited insanitarium on Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada