GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Magrathea wrote:If BOC comes out with a collective box set of 30-year-old crap not good enough to make the cut back then, I would be utterly gutted.

There is a reason it has not surfaced, no matter what mdg or pic or anyone says. At the end of the day, the bro's know what they are doing, they are musicians, and musicians do not come out with their old cold cuts that never were good enough to fly anyway.

Unless they are burned out and want to milk the cash cow.

I don't think we are there.

This.

Honestly, I'm one hundred percent invested in getting a new BOC album. I'm dying to hear their perspective on the world, done so with their wonderful song titles, album art and melodies rather than lyrics. Sure it would be nice to hear something from the Geo sessions, but I feel it wouldn't tell us anything we don't already know from the album itself.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Magrathea wrote:If BOC comes out with a collective box set of 30-year-old crap not good enough to make the cut back then, I would be utterly gutted.

There is a reason it has not surfaced, no matter what mdg or pic or anyone says. At the end of the day, the bro's know what they are doing, they are musicians, and musicians do not come out with their old cold cuts that never were good enough to fly anyway.

Unless they are burned out and want to milk the cash cow.

I don't think we are there.

They probably didn't want to release these things (especially PBN) at the time because it was nothing like what they had made before, and thought critics would dislike the change when they had just released really synth-focused stuff. Now that Warp (probably) wants a boxset and all their old stuff has been essentially repeated stylistically, to overwhelmingly positive reviews, they're absolutely going to release that stuff.

They wouldn't milk the cash cow anyways, they don't care about the money or fame (in fact they despise fame). They'd make music if there was nobody besides Hexagon Sun who would listen to it.
Fly!

Posts Quantity
Did anyone notice how the comment section on Uuh was unlocked 2 weeks ago? Pretty sure you have to do that manually. Interesting. The discussion tab was also removed. It was mainly us twoismers shitposting.
Fly!

Eagle Minded
I'm bringing this up again because I refuse to let this theory go

David Bowie tribute album

https://twitter.com/boctransmission/sta ... uGB3g&s=19

Starman 1972
Pioneer 10 was 1972

Again this leads back to the theory of it being a space themed album, with insperations from David Bowie. Clearly the bros idolized him, as they have practically NEVER said anything on social media, yet the one time they do is that tweet I linked above.

I know it's been brought up many times, I just wanted to bring it up again because it feels right, it feels plausible, it feels like an area of sound I would LOVE to hear the bros explore.

EDIT: Speaking of 1972.. that makes the 50th anniversary of the Pioneer Plaque launch... Next year...

Next year... ???

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:Did anyone notice how the comment section on Uuh was unlocked 2 weeks ago? Pretty sure you have to do that manually. Interesting. The discussion tab was also removed. It was mainly us twoismers shitposting.

Yep, that was definitely intentional. I think it was a little bit of Discordian trolling - changing extremely minor things deep in their social media rabbit hole to fuck with us.

Eagle Minded
I didn't see it talked about but there's a new like...

This one's pretty blatant in my opinion... "Give us a sign."
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Posts Quantity
sandrail wrote:Did anyone notice how the comment section on Uuh was unlocked 2 weeks ago? Pretty sure you have to do that manually. Interesting. The discussion tab was also removed. It was mainly us twoismers shitposting.

Discussion tabs have been removed on all channels which leads me to believe they opened up the Uuh comment section for the future.

"Shit, we can't post anything in Discussion anymore so let's open the comment section."

Dayvan Cowboy
I think based upon the like, good stuff might be a comin' :D

"Give us a sign." (Put it in your interests. :wink: )

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:I'm bringing this up again because I refuse to let this theory go

Starman 1972
Pioneer 10 was 1972

Again this leads back to the theory of it being a space themed album, with insperations from David Bowie. Clearly the bros idolized him, as they have practically NEVER said anything on social media, yet the one time they do is that tweet I linked above.

I know it's been brought up many times, I just wanted to bring it up again because it feels right, it feels plausible, it feels like an area of sound I would LOVE to hear the bros explore.

EDIT: Speaking of 1972.. that makes the 50th anniversary of the Pioneer Plaque launch... Next year...

Next year... ???

geogaddi’s 20th anniversary is next year!! we can only hope a new record and a reissue of geogaddi with bonus tracks :)
I’d love a boxset of all the unreleased albums we know about (but haven’t heard) too, a limited edition cassette box maybe? even if it’s limited, people will still rip and leak it, and the rare “collector fetishism” of those unreleased albums will remain.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy

Starman 1972
Pioneer 10 was 1972

Next year... ???

Here's a connection that hasn't been drawn in regards to that. Bowie and his band covered Alpha and Omega, which grew into another track during the Black Star period. Bowie covered a Geo track and its anniversary is next year, as is the pioneer plaque. So this ties yours and Funnnpng's theory together.

Tomorrow the Calix album drops and we're home free for new music.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:

Starman 1972
Pioneer 10 was 1972

Next year... ???

Here's a connection that hasn't been drawn in regards to that. Bowie and his band covered Alpha and Omega, which grew into another track during the Black Star period. Bowie covered a Geo track and its anniversary is next year, as is the pioneer plaque. So this ties yours and Funnnpng's theory together.

Is there a recording of his Alpha and Omega cover? Or do we at least know which track on Black Star is inspired by it? That's honestly amazing, and is indeed another good point to the theory.

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:
Echelon wrote:

Starman 1972
Pioneer 10 was 1972

Next year... ???

Is there a recording of his Alpha and Omega cover? Or do we at least know which track on Black Star is inspired by it? That's honestly amazing, and is indeed another good point to the theory.

It was mentioned in an interview, but it'll probably be a thing of legend that we'll never get to hear. Like the acoustic MHTRTC album.

It's definitely one of the tracks on the Black Star album, but I'm not sure they clarified which one it is. For some reason, my mind leaps to the progressive rock title track but I'm probably wrong.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:It was mentioned in an interview, but it'll probably be a thing of legend that we'll never get to hear. Like the acoustic MHTRTC album.

It's definitely one of the tracks on the Black Star album, but I'm not sure they clarified which one it is. For some reason, my mind leaps to the progressive rock title track but I'm probably wrong.

They revealed the title of it - "somewhere" - not on the Blackstar album.

Posts Quantity
These are my favorite David Bowie lyrics by far.

Fly!

Friendly Stranger
funnnnpng wrote:
Echelon wrote:It was mentioned in an interview, but it'll probably be a thing of legend that we'll never get to hear. Like the acoustic MHTRTC album.

It was later renamed to "Blaze" according to the Nicholas Pegg's book, and it seems that the track was taken off last minute from the album

source https://www.reddit.com/r/DavidBowie/com ... rial_that/

Eagle Minded
rjohnny wrote:
funnnnpng wrote:

It was later renamed to "Blaze" according to the Nicholas Pegg's book, and it seems that the track was taken off last minute from the album

Maybe it was given to BoC to remix and they’re still working on it — after all it was only out in 2016 so they might need another year or three to finish?
preparation for a dive.

Eagle Minded
Maybe it was given to BoC to remix and they’re still working on it — after all it was only out in 2016 so they might need another year or three to finish?

They started the Treat Em Right Remix in 1999 so expect a bit of a wait on the bowie remix.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Nothing would be better than having Bowie vox on a BOC album/remix.

They've only done a remix with a world class vocalist once and it was a masterpiece, so I'd love there to be a BOC track with Bowie vocals

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:
Echelon wrote:

Starman 1972
Pioneer 10 was 1972

Next year... ???

Donny McCaslin - who was in the band for Blackstar's recording sessions - recorded a cover of Alpha and Omega. Afaik Bowie was never directly involved in this cover or any cover of Alpha and Omega but I'm sure was a fan of McCaslin's cover, and by proxy took more inspiration from BOC. Last I heard about the teased Blackstar track, it was renamed and is still on the album albeit in a different state than when that interview took place so there's no obvious parallels. You can listen to McCaslin's cover here btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRcYRLoZCpg

Eagle Minded
rjohnny wrote:
funnnnpng wrote:

source https://www.reddit.com/r/DavidBowie/com ... rial_that/

Thank you for the info!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada