GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Frindia wrote:Hi.com

the bros are into crypto. i knew it
be right back, dumping my life savings into bocoin
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:the 'BOCset' will be a dark gray rigid slipcase with a singular turquoise hexagon on the front and "boards of canada - everything you wanted" printed on the spine

The set contains a total of 13 standard black 12" discs, making it Warps largest vinyl release to date. The number of discs is also intentional.

A/B/C/D - Catalog 3
E/F - Acid Memories
G/H/I/J - Closes Vol. 1
K/L - Play by Numbers
M/N - Hooper Bay

O/P - Music Has The Right To Children b-sides (including 'happy cycling', unreleased tracks off 'BOC Maxima', and more)
Q/R - Geogaddi b-sides (including 'from one source all things depend', and more)
S/T - The Campfire Headphase b-sides (including 'macquarie ridge', and more)
U/V - Tomorrow's Harvest b-sides (including 'harvest ritual', and more unreleased material originally slated to release as a follow-up EP in 2015)

W/X - Misc. unreleased tunes, as heard in leaked "a few old tunes", "old tunes vol. 2", "random 35 track tape" mixtapes.

Y/Z - double sided etched vinyl of various mathematical concepts and boc-related imagery (pioneer plaque humans, boc compound, etc.)

Each set of records is housed in it's own sleeve with original and touched up artwork.

At the same time as this release, will be a brand new 2xLP Boards of Canada album with similar minimalistic artwork to the outer sleeve of the bocset. The album is themed around space travel and features long, droning synths with deep, spaced out drum patterns. The album is their most cohesive yet with most tracks building off the previous one as if the entire album was one continuous song. Elements and samples of their previous albums drift in and out of the mix and become more distorted and distant as the album goes on.

All I want for Christmas...
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
cant wait for Boards of Canada 2

Eagle Minded
Boards’ of Canadas

Eagle Minded
What does Warp's lineup for the foreseeable future look like at the moment? Do they have many upcoming releases in the pipeline?

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:What does Warp's lineup for the foreseeable future look like at the moment? Do they have many upcoming releases in the pipeline?

Nope, nothing. It was pretty similar last year, and I was hoping there was something secret and magical going on, but all it turned out to be was a Stereolab reissue that took until February to come out.

I've come to the conclusion that either there's no rhyme or reason to the way Warp releases stuff, or if you want to get paranoid/tin foil hat about it, they/or BOC themselves actually read people's predictions about BOC's schedule and negate it. The latter is a joke, but you never know.

Fingers crossed that they announce something BOCy this week though

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
demo wrote:What does Warp's lineup for the foreseeable future look like at the moment? Do they have many upcoming releases in the pipeline?

Nope, nothing. It was pretty similar last year, and I was hoping there was something secret and magical going on, but all it turned out to be was a Stereolab reissue that took until February to come out.

I've come to the conclusion that either there's no rhyme or reason to the way Warp releases stuff, or if you want to get paranoid/tin foil hat about it, they/or BOC themselves actually read people's predictions about BOC's schedule and negate it. The latter is a joke, but you never know.

This week? I was shooting for next year!
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Biznasty wrote:the 'BOCset' will be a dark gray rigid slipcase with a singular turquoise hexagon on the front and "boards of canada - everything you wanted" printed on the spine

The set contains a total of 13 standard black 12" discs, making it Warps largest vinyl release to date. The number of discs is also intentional.

A/B/C/D - Catalog 3
E/F - Acid Memories
G/H/I/J - Closes Vol. 1
K/L - Play by Numbers
M/N - Hooper Bay

O/P - Music Has The Right To Children b-sides (including 'happy cycling', unreleased tracks off 'BOC Maxima', and more)
Q/R - Geogaddi b-sides (including 'from one source all things depend', and more)
U/V - Tomorrow's Harvest b-sides (including 'harvest ritual', and more unreleased material originally slated to release as a follow-up EP in 2015)

W/X - Misc. unreleased tunes, as heard in leaked "a few old tunes", "old tunes vol. 2", "random 35 track tape" mixtapes.

Y/Z - double sided etched vinyl of various mathematical concepts and boc-related imagery (pioneer plaque humans, boc compound, etc.)

Each set of records is housed in it's own sleeve with original and touched up artwork.

At the same time as this release, will be a brand new 2xLP Boards of Canada album with similar minimalistic artwork to the outer sleeve of the bocset. The album is themed around space travel and features long, droning synths with deep, spaced out drum patterns. The album is their most cohesive yet with most tracks building off the previous one as if the entire album was one continuous song. Elements and samples of their previous albums drift in and out of the mix and become more distorted and distant as the album goes on.

I STILL want to believe. Whoever came up with this needs to join Hexagon Sun asap, for the sake of all humanity.

Dayvan Cowboy
cubistking1906 wrote:
Echelon wrote:

A/B/C/D - Catalog 3
E/F - Acid Memories
G/H/I/J - Closes Vol. 1
K/L - Play by Numbers
M/N - Hooper Bay

I STILL want to believe. Whoever came up with this needs to join Hexagon Sun asap, for the sake of all humanity.

I hate to be Mr. Negative, because I'm usually Mr. Positive, but it probably won't be on this level. That said, hopefully by lowering my expectations, they will come out with something on this level :P

Eagle Minded
The A-Z vinyl numbering is probably the coolest detail here. Ahhhhh that'd be sick. And a vinyl of just etchings? Genius.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:

Maybe today? :D
vLG = 627 +- 22 km/s >>> L =276° +- 3: b = 30° +- 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npq_yb-xLmw

Eagle Minded
Warp have been useless for years, but with all the reissues and the state of this years rota, it's quite obvious to me they're not going to last much longer. Was good for the first 15 years. There won't be a warp 40

Eagle Minded
Sl Flk wrote:Warp have been useless for years, but with all the reissues and the state of this years rota, it's quite obvious to me they're not going to last much longer. Was good for the first 15 years. There won't be a warp 40

I'd say it's merely been a subpar year for them, as opposed to a long-term decline in quality. 2020 was pretty great. If we're talking strictly heavy hitters, let's not forget that last year we had TWO new Autechre albums, a new Oneohtrix record, and brand spankin' new Squarepusher for the first time in ages.

With a bit of luck, Warp will be back on form in 2022.

Eagle Minded
Sherbet Head wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:Warp have been useless for years, but with all the reissues and the state of this years rota, it's quite obvious to me they're not going to last much longer. Was good for the first 15 years. There won't be a warp 40

I'd say it's merely been a subpar year for them, as opposed to a long-term decline in quality. 2020 was pretty great. If we're talking strictly heavy hitters, let's not forget that last year we had TWO new Autechre albums, a new Oneohtrix record, and brand spankin' new Squarepusher for the first time in ages.

Depending on what happens globally it's possible. But I think we're just going to continue to see more and more world events that will change our worlds and the things we enjoy. Flares are going to come back in fashion and take the world by storm.

Dayvan Cowboy
tumuli_stump_jumper wrote:
Echelon wrote:

Maybe today? :D

In the next few hours

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:
Sherbet Head wrote:

Depending on what happens globally it's possible. But I think we're just going to continue to see more and more world events that will change our worlds and the things we enjoy. Flares are going to come back in fashion and take the world by storm.

what do you mean by flares back in fashion? a continuation of the alternative history war between Churchill and Stalin? Balalaikas and early gray tea should come back in style

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:Depending on what happens globally it's possible. But I think we're just going to continue to see more and more world events that will change our worlds and the things we enjoy. Flares are going to come back in fashion and take the world by storm.

what do you mean by flares back in fashion? a continuation of the alternative history war between Churchill and Stalin? Balalaikas and early gray tea should come back in style

History doesn't repeat itself, it rhymes. The bros could just as easily return with bleak trip hop beats and sound collage.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Boqurant
At least we got a remix. It's nice of them to throw us a bone once in awhile.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought Warp had a subpar year. Where the IDM at?

What kind of label has living legends like BOC and Aphex signed on it, but never releases anything from them?

Also if Soul Flask is right, and things are going under, I hope they go out with a bang next year. The most interested I was the whole year was when Bibio did a record store day release, but otherwise nada. Was all reissues and non-IDM.

Friendly Stranger
Echelon wrote:. Where the IDM at?

My favorite IDM release of the year is the Nuron + Fugue 1993​-​1996 compilation. Really good emotional ambient techno like B12 or The Black Dog. Tracks like Eau Rouge and Contrapoint are out of this world. His story is fascinating as well, a racecar driver with godtier ear for melody who stopped releasing music in the 90s and came back out of nowhere last year.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada