GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Hope next BOC abum will be the greatest use of electricity in human history

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought Warp had a subpar year. Where the IDM at?

What kind of label has living legends like BOC and Aphex signed on it, but never releases anything from them?

Yeah, this year I've gravitated more towards individual tracks they've put out, as opposed to full releases.

The reissues were welcomed, but I still can't believe we passed Drukqs' 20th without a single whiff of a repress.

Sherbet Head wrote:but I still can't believe we passed Drukqs' 20th without a single whiff of a repress.
That's hopeful for Geo 20th.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Sherbet Head wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:Warp have been useless for years, but with all the reissues and the state of this years rota, it's quite obvious to me they're not going to last much longer. Was good for the first 15 years. There won't be a warp 40

I'd say it's merely been a subpar year for them, as opposed to a long-term decline in quality. 2020 was pretty great. If we're talking strictly heavy hitters, let's not forget that last year we had TWO new Autechre albums, a new Oneohtrix record, and brand spankin' new Squarepusher for the first time in ages.

With a bit of luck, Warp will be back on form in 2022.

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought Warp had a subpar year. Where the IDM at?

What kind of label has living legends like BOC and Aphex signed on it, but never releases anything from them?

Also if Soul Flask is right, and things are going under, I hope they go out with a bang next year. The most interested I was the whole year was when Bibio did a record store day release, but otherwise nada. Was all reissues and non-IDM.

Warp just signed a new artist and also released music by him, someone called Oil XL (they also signed Nala Sinephro earlier this year), Warp aren't going under, they're just not your average label.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1umRL5in ... =copy-link

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:Warp just signed a new artist and also released music by him, someone called Oil XL (they also signed Nala Sinephro earlier this year), Warp aren't going under, they're just not your average label.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1umRL5in ... =copy-link

They also signed Wu-Lu a couple of weeks ago. I rinsed this tune back in the summer so I'm pretty chuffed with that choice.

Boqurant
Warp lost one of the most influential artists of the last 50 years this year. The revolutionary Jon Hassell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7IRnin9gF0
vLG = 627 +- 22 km/s >>> L =276° +- 3: b = 30° +- 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npq_yb-xLmw

Posts Quantity
I like the musical direction Warp is taking. Them expanding their genres may lead to some interesting sounds of new electronic music fused with other genres.
Fly!

New Seed
If Warp had new BoC or Aphex to release, they would, and they'd make a big deal about it. People have been saying the label isn't what it was since at least 2000 (remember when signing Broadcast - now a hugely influential band - was considered the death knell for the label?), but they keep signing new and interesting artists. They're doing as fine as any label can given the current issues with vinyl production.

Eagle Minded
If warp had continued to push for Aphex and AE to pump out releases every other year, they wouldn’t be around anymore. Warp has adapted greatly to the modern-weird musical landscape and I commend them for that!
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Posts Quantity
As Marcus put it, "I think that it is a good thing. A label should cater to many tastes, if I were to have strawberry ice cream day after day, eventually that would grow boring, one builds a sensory tolerance in that respect just as they do with music. People don't always want the same flavor. I feel that many people tend to misunderstand Electronic Music, and it is often seen as music that shouldn't be intertwined with any other genre. There is no necessity to quarantine it or protect it by metaphorical barricades. Good artists use everything to construct music, good music, and genres only tend to serve as limitations to that process."
Fly!

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:As Marcus put it, "I think that it is a good thing. A label should cater to many tastes, if I were to have strawberry ice cream day after day, eventually that would grow boring, one builds a sensory tolerance in that respect just as they do with music. People don't always want the same flavor. I feel that many people tend to misunderstand Electronic Music, and it is often seen as music that shouldn't be intertwined with any other genre. There is no necessity to quarantine it or protect it by metaphorical barricades. Good artists use everything to construct music, good music, and genres only tend to serve as limitations to that process."

I'm starting a radio show soon (local radio) where I have an "electronic music" show, except I'd say only 60% of it is actually electronic music. The way I'll explain it, is that the show is about electronic music culture itself, meaning I have a reason to play non electronic music, since it's that kind of music that can inspire electronic artists or vice versa, If that makes sense.

I know artists like Thundercat, Squid, The Cocteau Twins, mbv, Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa aren't electronic, but they are entwined in electronic music culture, it's hard to not view artists like that as in the same ballpark as Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin or Squarepusher.

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:
sandrail wrote:As Marcus put it, "I think that it is a good thing. A label should cater to many tastes, if I were to have strawberry ice cream day after day, eventually that would grow boring, one builds a sensory tolerance in that respect just as they do with music. People don't always want the same flavor. I feel that many people tend to misunderstand Electronic Music, and it is often seen as music that shouldn't be intertwined with any other genre. There is no necessity to quarantine it or protect it by metaphorical barricades. Good artists use everything to construct music, good music, and genres only tend to serve as limitations to that process."

I'm starting a radio show soon (local radio) where I have an "electronic music" show, except I'd say only 60% of it is actually electronic music. The way I'll explain it, is that the show is about electronic music culture itself, meaning I have a reason to play non electronic music, since it's that kind of music that can inspire electronic artists or vice versa, If that makes sense.

I know artists like Thundercat, Squid, The Cocteau Twins, mbv, Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa aren't electronic, but they are entwined in electronic music culture, it's hard to not view artists like that as in the same ballpark as Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin or Squarepusher.

Pigeonholing music into tightly wrapped genre boxes is counter-productive these days, since everything pulls inspiration from everything before it. Gary Numan once mentioned in an interview that it's difficult to even distinguish what is electronic music and what's just a production technique these days since it's been so intertwined into the mainstream since the '80s.

Your anecdote about starting a radio show makes me think of a hypothetical New Wave radio show which could easily play stuff like early post-punk, goth rock, alt-rock, all the way to post Y2K acts like Interpol and The Killers.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
A friend of mine brought up an alternative to the question I posed last night, concerning why Warp don't ever release anything from BOC and Aphex and why they rely on newer artists: What if their magical IDM cows stopped producing milk?

I'm confident in BOC that they're up to something and I fully believe that it's stuck in processing, but didn't Aphex tell us last year that he didn't feel like making music?
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:A friend of mine brought up an alternative to the question I posed last night, concerning why Warp don't ever release anything from BOC and Aphex and why they rely on newer artists: What if their magical IDM cows stopped producing milk?

I'm confident in BOC that they're up to something and I fully believe that it's stuck in processing, but didn't Aphex tell us last year that he didn't feel like making music?

Their older artists have the money now to take extended breaks, and that's great. The longer the wait, the better the product, right??
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:A friend of mine brought up an alternative to the question I posed last night, concerning why Warp don't ever release anything from BOC and Aphex and why they rely on newer artists: What if their magical IDM cows stopped producing milk?

I think he said that around the time his father died. not that surprising if he wouldn't want to make music...
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:

I think he said that around the time his father died. not that surprising if he wouldn't want to make music...

Oh, that I had no idea of. My condolences to him. :(

I don't really follow him aside from when he gets mentioned here. I spend most of my IDM time BOC-watching
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
When will the lovely brothers make our nipples tingle again?
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
It's a sign... mdg is NOT in BOLD!

:roll:
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Boqurant
Does it mean he deleted his profile?

Boqurant
Does it mean he deleted his profile?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada