is boc satanic in your view?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

so watcha think

yes
8%
no
86%
no clue
6%

Total votes: 77

Posts Quantity
ok yeah - geogaddi that's the vibe even if that's not their overall vibe, of course

but I wonder, really, since so much of the music industry is tainted with demonic swamp creatures if our fellow lads dont practice a bit dark magic in their garage of their bunkers on the hills of Edinburgh.

I also looked more carefully at the horribly xerox'd album art of Old Tunes V2, and its a chick laying on a beach getting her tan on. I never even noticed what could be not starfishes but pentagrams there too?

Also, in Geogaddi's signed copy , a good old pentagram from mike:
viewtopic.php?p=301329#p301329

Could be part of the edgy marketing too, like how they had listening parties at a chapel and church. I think that's where the promo kaleidoscopes were given out

Then there's the Geogaddi being a hexagon, like hexagon sun, except a pentagram fits perfectly in a hexagon and theres two triangles on the shoulders, Mike and Marcus, to deliver the goods.

Then the alias Hell interface, soylent night sounding straight out of hell,
The Devil is in the Details.

the list goes on and on.

--

then again some of their work is homage to the Karesh thing, but they aren't Kareshians as far as I know. though they may dabble in cult like behavior themselves

And their love for old media like Sesame Street and PBS and such, but that doesnt make them part of the cast of Sesame Street or a PBS reporter themselves.

its all so confusing

also - the most curious thing about geogaddi to me isnt the 66.6MB proportions of it when compressed down, or 66:6 length or any of that, though that is, but rather the Japanese Bonus track From One Source All Things Depend, with different sound clips of prayer to God. Tonally throws the wrench in everything for that album,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88qMmWnZxvE
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Dayvan Cowboy
voted: no clue. You have to be completely clueless, after themes presented in their music, they are not in to something. The world can be a strange place.

Dayvan Cowboy
Copied straight off the index page of bocpages.

• Are BoC pagans / satanists / [various other strange suggestions]?

No, they are just normal lads like you and me. Please read Interviews for more insights.

Do we need another of these topics? This question must of been asked dozens of times.
Last edited by Orbited insanitarium on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is boc satanic? Hell no. (Couldn't resist the pun.)

--

Mike: We're not Satanists, or Christians, or pagans. We're not religious at all. We just put symbols into our music sometimes, depending on what we're interested in at the time. We do care about people and the state of the world, and if we're spiritual at all it's purely in the sense of caring about art and inspiring people with ideas.

--

Is The Campfire Headphase a direct reaction for you on Geogaddi?

Mike: Yes, to some extent I think it is. The whole mood of this record is really uplifting and happy generally. It's really a case of saying: All the mystery and magic and all this kind of nonsense that built up around the last record got to a point where it was just silly. People were understanding things from our music that we didn't put in there and were saying there was an evil underrcurrent to everything. And we are not like that at all. It was a theme that we wanted to persue on that record but people have understood from that that we always put secret, dark, sinister, and satanic things in our music. And that became more important than the music itself.
Geogaddi was also the most abstract and surreal record we've done. A lot of the tracks don't really have much structure. Some songs are more soundscapes. With the new record we wanted to simplify the whole thing, [to make it] just about music.

Marcus: We realized that there are some people who would listen to our records but instead of listening to the music they would start looking for some hidden things immediately.

Mike: People will look for secret things now in this record even if there aren't any.

--

Sometimes we put things into the records that are meant to give rise to ideas or states of mind; others are clues, tricks or gratuitous details that we put there to get people discussing them among themselves. We aren't involved in any kind of cult or sinister religion. It all just aesthetics and games.
explains Michael Sandison.

The voice of a child, or some dialogue out of its context, can help to provide that dark touch that we are looking for, with a subliminal component: you are listening to something very pretty and then, underneath, you are hearing something so sinister that it gives you the shivers. But most of the time we do things as a joke.
according to Eoin.

If 'Geogaddi' lasts 66 minutes and 6 seconds it's because we wanted to end the record with a long silence, and our sound engineer had a bright idea and said to us 'why don't you take the opportunity to extend the play time to 66 minutes and 6 seconds' and we said 'let's do it'. It's not a Satanic message: it's a big joke.

Posts Quantity
Interesting point about the interviews but doesn’t mean it’s true

Also surprises me
A) they have a sound engineer for that album and can’t handle that in house
B) that they would take the idea to make the album 66m6 from the ostensible sound engineer and roll with it

Considering they are perfectionists and control freaks

I dunno
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Dayvan Cowboy
Can't wait for them to make a complete 180 from Tomorrow's Harvest and come back with Campfire Headphase 2.

Posts Quantity
Hexagon Sun (studio). Chris H aka Christ (former bandmember). Redmoon nights. Hell Interface (sometimes used alias for BOC). The Devil Is In The Details. 66 minutes and 6 seconds. Artwork full of hexagrams. Supposedly subliminal messages… How evil is BOC?

Marcus: As evil as Mickey Mouse.

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Can't wait for them to make a complete 180 from Tomorrow's Harvest and come back with Campfire Headphase 2.

I hope this is the case. Bring back the melodies and the happiness, yet keep the twisted song titles and make things progressively get sadder as the album goes on.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Happy Cycler
As evil as Mickey Mouse is quite the witty response, if you think about it.

Dayvan Cowboy
everythingyoudoisorange wrote:also - the most curious thing about geogaddi to me isnt the 66.6MB proportions of it when compressed down, or 66:6 length or any of that, though that is, but rather the Japanese Bonus track From One Source All Things Depend, with different sound clips of prayer to God. Tonally throws the wrench in everything for that album,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88qMmWnZxvE

I always interpret that as the actual final track to Geogaddi, like after all the insanity, pure silence, then rebirth.

I remember some church organization used this track in a commercial, but I couldn't seem to find it. It's probably long gone by this point though. Interestingly this upload here brings up the issue of them using satanic themes in their music with derision in the comment section, and only a year ago (despite the uploader uploading this over a decade ago).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qrbfRqBdpY
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:As evil as Mickey Mouse is quite the witty response, if you think about it.

When you think about some of Disney's practices lately, this quote takes on a whole new meaning... But then again, we always knew that BOC were "prophets" :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
mechanismj wrote:As evil as Mickey Mouse is quite the witty response, if you think about it.

Very, sort of ends the whole thing on an uncertain, troubling note. like the end of Tomorrow's Harvest.

Disney is not a good company if the metric is morals. And their work has lots of subliminal messaging too.

--

I just don't think we can take an interview at its face. Just today, Charlemagne the God asked Travis Scott if, his music was demonic and this was a satanic ritual and he was like 'nah im a man of God'

Like I guess that closes the book on it all, then! Despite having a mountain of Hell as the set, a portal to Hell, and the stage an upside down cross. Coupled with bday on Church of Satan creation, releasing album art 'Who really knows what lies beneath' and 'see you on the other side' messaging, and really all of it.

Not that TS = BoC or anything but

Eagle Minded
everythingyoudoisorange wrote:

Very, sort of ends the whole thing on an uncertain, troubling note. like the end of Tomorrow's Harvest.

Disney is not a good company if the metric is morals. And their work has lots of subliminal messaging too.

--

I just don't think we can take an interview at its face. Just today, Charlemagne the God asked Travis Scott if, his music was demonic and this was a satanic ritual and he was like 'nah im a man of God'

Like I guess that closes the book on it all, then! Despite having a mountain of Hell as the set, a portal to Hell, and the stage an upside down cross. Coupled with bday on Church of Satan creation, releasing album art 'Who really knows what lies beneath' and 'see you on the other side' messaging, and really all of it.

Not that TS = BoC or anything but

man uses hell iconography as theme for music video =/= he worships satan.

men use satanic iconography and tropes in theme of album =/= they worship satan.

it's artists making art. nothing more.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Posts Quantity
You don’t know that it’s just art being art that’s your opinion

Some people in existence are demonic and satanic you must concede and I don’t see why they wouldn’t use their art to push that too why not

Intention is unclear is all I’m saying. You can’t necessarily always dismiss art as art. Sometimes maybe even most of the time sure

everythingyoudoisorange wrote:You don’t know that it’s just art being art that’s your opinion

Some people in existence are demonic and satanic you must concede and I don’t see why they wouldn’t use their art to push that too why not

Intention is unclear is all I’m saying. You can’t necessarily always dismiss art as art. Sometimes maybe even most of the time sure

You also call them liars then because in their interviews, if you see my post above, you will see they mention numerous times it's nothing but art to them. A joke even. They're no satanists.

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
everythingyoudoisorange wrote:You don’t know that it’s just art being art that’s your opinion

You also call them liars then because in their interviews, if you see my post above, you will see they mention numerous times it's nothing but art to them. A joke even. They're no satanists.

I actually don’t reach any conclusion I just leave the door open to interpretation

Would satanists be transparent their art is demonic if it actually was

Eagle Minded
most of the actual Satanists I’ve met are straightedge edgelords with narcissistic tendencies and mediocre taste in music. BoC have done too many drugs for that silly ass shit.
preparation for a dive.

Sherbet Head
Satanists are just try hard, needy, narcissistic weaklings who want to stand out with controversy.
Religion itself is weak as fuck. A crutch to avoid the age old question of who we are and where we go. Organised religion either side is just plain and simple, greed, power and tax evasion.
You could feel the bullshit

Sherbet Head
If I look at the 3 bars of the vote results I just see a penis.

Does that mean BoC are sexists? Or does that say something about the voters?

/confused
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
No, they are not.

I identify with the whole idea personally however, but I am an atheist, so... ymmv We all know that religions are tools of mass control, and a dangerous tool nowadays.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada