Geogaddi 20th Anniversary Thread

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
I could see that too. They heavily process these vocals and I think sometimes time-stretch to get this sort of obscurity where a variety of things could be heard.

Also unrelated, but all the drums and percussion on this record are absolutely ingenious.

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:I could see that too. They heavily process these vocals and I think sometimes time-stretch to get this sort of obscurity where a variety of things could be heard.

Also unrelated, but all the drums and percussion on this record are absolutely ingenious.

Is it right to call Geogaddi, BOC's creative peak? That's how I always treat it. In spite of some individual highlights on Music that are all time greats, Geogaddi, for me, is them at their most cohesive and out-there at the same time.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:I could see that too. They heavily process these vocals and I think sometimes time-stretch to get this sort of obscurity where a variety of things could be heard.

Is it right to call Geogaddi, BOC's creative peak? That's how I always treat it. In spite of some individual highlights on Music that are all time greats, Geogaddi, for me, is them at their most cohesive and out-there at the same time.

It's definitely my favorite record of theirs, but I think they also made a smart decision in giving themselves space to create outside of expectation, despite forums like this constantly spamming theories and whatnot (not criticizing that, it just shows the fanbase's love for their stuff).

A creative peak is ultimately decided by them I think. I can't make assumptions because I'm not them, but I think they only release stuff if they think it is worth it

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogaddi their deffinition of Hell. The sounds are sharp, like triangles and noisy. I really enjoy the sadness on some tracks.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Is it right to call Geogaddi, BOC's creative peak? That's how I always treat it. In spite of some individual highlights on Music that are all time greats, Geogaddi, for me, is them at their most cohesive and out-there at the same time.

To each their own. Geogaddi was my favorite for years but Tomorrow's Harvest has caught up with it now for me - and I think the level of detail and cohesion on Tomorrow's Harvest is at least as great as Geogaddi.

In the end I don't think they'll release an album that isn't up to their standards - everything they put out is a potential peak and it comes down to individual taste. Each BOC album has fans that list it as their favorite.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:In the end I don't think they'll release an album that isn't up to their standards - everything they put out is a potential peak and it comes down to individual taste.

Hence why there's only four albums in 25 years. As painful as it can be, I really dig how carefully curated their catalog is. Each album a chapter in an ongoing story and each is equally important.

Why do you think we are all clamoring so much for anything new from them? We know this won't be some toss-off but the next installment in an epic adventure.

That said, Geo is my personal favorite. It's relation to Music is like Daft Punk's Homework to Discovery. A sidestep to some, but an absolutely perfect refinement of the raw material of the previous album

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:In the end I don't think they'll release an album that isn't up to their standards - everything they put out is a potential peak and it comes down to individual taste.

Hence why there's only four albums in 25 years. As painful as it can be, I really dig how carefully curated their catalog is. Each album a chapter in an ongoing story and each is equally important.

Why do you think we are all clamoring so much for anything new from them? We know this won't be some toss-off but the next installment in an epic adventure.

That said, Geo is my personal favorite. It's relation to Music is like Daft Punk's Homework to Discovery. A sidestep to some, but an absolutely perfect refinement of the raw material of the previous album

That's a great way to put it. I can't pick any BoC album as my favorite, I've come to love them all equally.. However out of all four of the "main chapters", Geogaddi is probably the most exciting. A is to B as B is to C / Over the Horizon Radar / Dawn Chorus is one of the most beautifully disturbing moments in music I've ever experienced.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

New Seed
I'll be really disappointed if there isn't something dropped on 22.02.2022

Dayvan Cowboy
Food for thought, please correct if I'm wrong, but one thing just struck me. There are plenty of kaleidoscope images on the artwork. Didn't the insects see through their image like a kaleidoscope? If so, it is almost like BOC wanted to convey the feeling of something inhuman observing you.

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Food for thought, please correct if I'm wrong, but one thing just struck me. There are plenty of kaleidoscope images on the artwork. Didn't the insects see through their image like a kaleidoscope? If so, it is almost like BOC wanted to convey the feeling of something inhuman observing you.

Or perhaps we are the insects.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
One thing is for certain folks: We're definitely getting a retweet from Bleep about Geogaddi's vinyl being in stock

Eagle Minded
just a few weeks to go. im 80% sure its going to be a retweet. but come on warp, surprise us :mrgreen:
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, any hopes for new material are totally misplaced I think. BOC aren't the sort to intentionally put any of their new work in the shadow of their old albums. Any new release will be a standalone event, making its own statement.

On that note, they don't release albums they're not totally happy with, so the idea we'll get tracks that were left on the cutting room floor doesn't make sense either. If they wanted us to hear those songs, they would have released them with Geogaddi.

Dayvan Cowboy
"krs Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:52 pm
Sherbet Head
UPDATE 11:50 AM PST
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT OKAY!!! IT'S DEFINITELY LEGITIMATE GUYS!
Just got off the phone with the guy from Other Music again, and he said they DID INFACT have it at the store!!!!!! He said a warp representative brought it in at 3pm the day before record store day. He also said that the one found in their store is THE ONLY ONE IN THE U.S.!!!!! THE OTHERS ARE IN FACT IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES!!!! He didn't specify, but they way he said it, I imagine this is what the representative from warp told him.
GET THE FUCK OUT THERE AND START SEARCHING YOU GUYS!!
HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
EDIT: Warp following the record store on twitter, I mean... c'mon. This is real. It's happening. FINALLY.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14874&start=40 "

TH arg began on the 15th anniversary of MHTRTC ;]

Eagle Minded
arvy wrote:"krs Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:52 pm
Sherbet Head
UPDATE 11:50 AM PST
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT OKAY!!! IT'S DEFINITELY LEGITIMATE GUYS!
Just got off the phone with the guy from Other Music again, and he said they DID INFACT have it at the store!!!!!! He said a warp representative brought it in at 3pm the day before record store day. He also said that the one found in their store is THE ONLY ONE IN THE U.S.!!!!! THE OTHERS ARE IN FACT IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES!!!! He didn't specify, but they way he said it, I imagine this is what the representative from warp told him.
GET THE FUCK OUT THERE AND START SEARCHING YOU GUYS!!
HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
EDIT: Warp following the record store on twitter, I mean... c'mon. This is real. It's happening. FINALLY.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14874&start=40 "

TH arg began on the 15th anniversary of MHTRTC ;]

I think the TH arg starting on the MHTRTC anniversary is a coincidence considering it was also record store day. I think RSD was what they were aiming for with starting it on that specific day. It could have been both but I doubt MHTRTC was even on their minds except for maybe a "hey that's funny it's the same day."

They've never done anything special with dates. Like when Trans Canada Highway was supposed to release on 6/6/6 they changed it, likely because they didn't want the devil connection. My assumption is that when talking about the release date they all said "June 6th" and didn't realize it was 6/6/6 until someone wrote it down and they were like "shit we have to change this." TCH was all about the music with no deeper meaning behind it.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Biznasty wrote:TCH was all about the music with no deeper meaning behind it.

Exactly. They've mentioned it a couple of times. Here's one example.

Humo: "Campfire is a great deal more accessible than its predecessor. Didn’t you finally want to – don’t laugh – get access to a wider public?"

Marcus: “Superstars at last (laughs)!”

Michael: “We’re still proud of Geogaddi, but let’s get things straight: it was a record for the fans – guys of whom we knew they would have the patience to listen to it attentively anyway, and who would make it a sport to pick out the obscure winks to politics and Satanism. Campfire is more of a warning directed to the fans: you better watch out, the next record could perhaps differ even more radically from our earlier work. Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand. We wanted to make only one record on which we would pour the dreams of our youth in sounds, but right now we are at album number four already and the end is still not in sight (laugh). But we did once and for all away with a few of our tics: those deformed, eerie voices, those complex and repetitive song structures, and so on. We wanted full-fledged songs, complete with intros, hinges, refrains and bridges. A bit like a rock band, actually. Campfire, my dear, is officially our first pop record.”

Marcus: “In fact, Geogaddi was also pop, albeit of the most hor-rib-ly difficult kind (laughs).”

Source: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Cross_Out_the_Inappropriate

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Is it right to call Geogaddi, BOC's creative peak? That's how I always treat it. In spite of some individual highlights on Music that are all time greats, Geogaddi, for me, is them at their most cohesive and out-there at the same time.

Mentally, I always group it with IABPOITC. Combined that is absolutely the sound of a creative peak - a perfect blend of melody and dissonance, light and shade. Geogaddi is also very complete and self-contained. Whenever I made playlists or compilation tapes of BoC, nothing from Geogaddi could sit comfortably next to anything from MHTRTC, TCH or TH. I love that it all sounds so separate and out-there.

Boqurant
Well then

Happy Birthday Geogaddy
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

Boqurant
Man i'm disapointed tho...

Not the lake of news for the hypothetic new album of course, or because there is no anniversary version or repress or old tune rerelease, etc...

But because i feel that, appart from the fans, Geogaddi's birthday was kinda ignored by mainstream music medias and Warp. Not even a tweet. I can't but feel it's a bit disrespectfull for what we can agree is one of the most beloved BOC record.

But yeah it isn't too big of a deal either.
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada