Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Controversial opinion: incessant posting about BoC does not will new BoC music into existence. Actually, this isn't an opinion. It's a fact.

Another True Fact: posting about BoC neither accelerates nor decelerates the rate at which BoC releases music.

Also true: it's okay if twoism lies fallow for a long period of time, provided it's still around when something actually does happen.

I love you.

Dayvan Cowboy
The cover for "Play by Numbers" looks like crap. They were clearly listening to too much Men Without Hats. :wink:
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
rodox_head wrote:The cover for "Play by Numbers" looks like crap. They were clearly listening to too much Men Without Hats. :wink:

Nice ref!

Dayvan Cowboy
Samplehunter wrote:Nice ref!

Lord Eris above, that is an unappealing album cover.

Dayvan Cowboy
If I had a penny for every time I read "Uuh" as a reply to a post, I'd have an unknown monetary total because the forum wide search only covers words of four and above! :lol:

New Seed
heh, it's funny that this is what inspired me to join twoism, but I just wanted to say I find the dislike for "Hi Scores" and "Seeya Later" so odd, I love those tunes. When it comes to that EP, I personally think "June 9th" is the dud.

Eagle Minded
k, I got one.

Their EP artwork is way better than their album art.

Dayvan Cowboy
DevonStevon wrote:heh, it's funny that this is what inspired me to join twoism, but I just wanted to say I find the dislike for "Hi Scores" and "Seeya Later" so odd, I love those tunes. When it comes to that EP, I personally think "June 9th" is the dud.

Hi Scores is a weird release in that it only has 1 exclusive track for a seasoned BoC fan, and even then the title comes from an Old Tunes track.

It might as well be called "BoC Minima".

New Seed
Hi Scores is a weird release in that it only has 1 exclusive track for a seasoned BoC fan, and even then the title comes from an Old Tunes track.

Yeah, that's understandable. I do think it probably had more value when it was released, when people only had MHTRTC and Twoism, but I enjoy it regardless.

Dayvan Cowboy
DevonStevon wrote:
Yeah, that's understandable. I do think it probably had more value when it was released, when people only had MHTRTC and Twoism, but I enjoy it regardless.
I didn't mean anything bad about it, I just thought it was a funny observation.

It's still not as useless of an EP as Trans Canada Highway

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
rodox_head wrote:
DevonStevon wrote:
I didn't mean anything bad about it, I just thought it was a funny observation.

It's still not as useless of an EP as Trans Canada Highway

What do you mean by that? You would have fuse it with The Campfire Headphase?

Dayvan Cowboy
Samplehunter wrote:
rodox_head wrote:It's still not as useless of an EP as Trans Canada Highway

What do you mean by that? You would have fuse it with The Campfire Headphase?
Pretty much. It just sounds like a couple songs that didn't make the cut to Campfire Headphase. Their previous EPs showed the creative growth of the band and linked the albums together very well, while Trans Canada Highway was followed by seven years of silence and then an album that sounded nothing like it. If it came out before Headphase then that would make a difference, but as it stands, it's one of the more forgettable releases to me, second only to the Aquarius EP. Speaking of which, why is that called an EP when it's clearly a single?

Anyway, Hi Scores and IABPOITC stand on their own while Trans Canada Highway is just an afterthought to Campfire Headphase to me.

FITE ME

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:FITE ME

:D

I'd like the idea of cramming a few more tidbits onto Campfire.
Like sneaking Under The Coke Sign in as an interlude on the end of Dayvan Cowboy or finishing the album on Heard From The Telegraph Lines for a final bittersweet crumb after Farewell Fire, both respectively.

A fun thought (and you could even do this if you set up a playlist correctly. 8))

Friendly Stranger
My take would be that all of the early tape music of BOC are shit but it's probably because of the sound quality and how it probably makes it OBJECTIVELY sound like shit.

Other than that, the sort of more trip-hop feel that Music Has The Right To Children had, especially with the scratching and more heavy sample usage should've 100% been expanded upon more and I feel like they'd be a more interesting group if they continued with that sound. Not for the rest of their discography but just for another album and maybe an EP with a transitory period into the sound they develop on Geogaddi.
"boards of canada synth tutorial" has appeared 9 times in your search history.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I'd like the idea of cramming a few more tidbits onto Campfire.
Like sneaking Under The Coke Sign in as an interlude on the end of Dayvan Cowboy or finishing the album on Heard From The Telegraph Lines for a final bittersweet crumb after Farewell Fire, both respectively.

A fun thought (and you could even do this if you set up a playlist correctly. 8))
This wasn't as hard as I thought it would be:

Side A:
Into The Rainbow Vein
Chromakey Dreamcoat
Satellite Anthem Icarus
Peacock Tail
Side B:
A Moment of Clarity
Dayvan Cowboy
Under the Coke Sign
Left Side Drive
'84 Pontiac Dream
Sherbet Head
Side C:
Skyliner
Oscar See Through Red Eye
Ataronchronon
Hey Saturday Sun
Constants Are Changing
Side D:
Slow This Bird Down
Tears from the Compound Eye
Farewell Fire
Heard from Telegraph Lines

New Seed
stripesworths wrote:My take would be that all of the early tape music of BOC are shit but it's probably because of the sound quality and how it probably makes it OBJECTIVELY sound like shit.

Other than that, the sort of more trip-hop feel that Music Has The Right To Children had, especially with the scratching and more heavy sample usage should've 100% been expanded upon more and I feel like they'd be a more interesting group if they continued with that sound. Not for the rest of their discography but just for another album and maybe an EP with a transitory period into the sound they develop on Geogaddi.

man i disagree so much on this. While i still appreciate every moment of every one of their records, i find the more traditional electronic, beat centered elements so boring and lame. Those elements also are precisely what have not aged well at all. What the band’s true creative genius export has always been is melody within songwriting. True duende, if you will. This is almost always most evident within the negative spaces, vignettes etc. I think the closest they have come to who they really are is Campfire. I have believed for many years that their final form would be a seriously heavy lean into those colors- an evil 70s pagan folk record of sorts. The traditional trip hop, IDM element in my opinion is boring and dweeby.

Also, all the old tunes records, while certainly not the best albums, are definitely the most interesting.

Eagle Minded
199free wrote: I think the closest they have come to who they really are is Campfire.

I feel this way the older I get

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't know if this is a controversial opinion or not, but the prolonged near-silence on "Farewell Fire" ruins the whole track for me and makes it my least favorite album closer. Yes, even behind "Magic Window".

Honestly, I kinda find TCH to be a bit overrated.

Sherbet Head
rodox_head wrote:I don't know if this is a controversial opinion or not, but the prolonged near-silence on "Farewell Fire" ruins the whole track for me and makes it my least favorite album closer. Yes, even behind "Magic Window".

phpBB [media]

How about now?
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:
rodox_head wrote:I don't know if this is a controversial opinion or not, but the prolonged near-silence on "Farewell Fire" ruins the whole track for me and makes it my least favorite album closer. Yes, even behind "Magic Window".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vO2ohtYvJI
How about now?
Actually, this sounds better.

If the original fade out was a bit more gradual then I think it would have worked, instead of just cranking the volume down halfway through. It's like "The Background World" by NIN. The last 7 minutes is the same 10 second loop but distorting each time. It sounds like a cool idea, but it hits its peak too soon and already turns to garbled noise by the first 3 minutes.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada