A BOC album with vocals?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
The Good Friday remix is one of my all time favourites, I see a lot of hate for the vocals and I really don't get it. I love the vocals, know every word and cant help but sing along when it comes on... which is often.

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:The Good Friday remix is one of my all time favourites, I see a lot of hate for the vocals and I really don't get it. I love the vocals, know every word and cant help but sing along when it comes on... which is often.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Why? on their own terms. Seen them live a couple times too.

In fact, the last time I saw them I got to talk to Yoni Wolf after the show and he complimented the BoC shirt I was wearing. I asked if he'd talked to them lately and he said no because they were "behind the veil of secrecy," haha.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think I wrote this on General New Release recently, an album with vocalists (for instance) Beth Gibbons or Nicolas Godin with BoC would be a great combo.

Bringing this topic back, so have a posting party! Who else would work?

Dayvan Cowboy
I remember hearing a cover of "Constants Are Changing" a long time ago that had vocals over it that I remember thinking sounded nice. This had to be over a decade ago, so my opinion could have changed, but I am unable to find it. I remember one of the lyrics was something like "You've got those eyes...", but that's all I can recall.

I personally don't see it work for a whole album, though. Much of the BoC canon gives an impression of intended anti-humanity sentiments.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Not totally convinced, but open to the idea.

I think an EP would probably be the best way to approach it; a small self-contained release. An album full of vocals may wear a bit thin, and I worry the option of scattering a handful of vocal tracks throughout an album may present too much of a vibe shift. Mind you, the latter seemed to work for Mark Pritchard's "Under the Sun", so who knows?

In all fairness, I have enough faith in BoC's quality control process to know that if it didn't work, it simply wouldn't come out.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:Not totally convinced, but open to the idea.

I think an EP would probably be the best way to approach it; a small self-contained release. An album full of vocals may wear a bit thin, and I worry the option of scattering a handful of vocal tracks throughout an album may present too much of a vibe shift. Mind you, the latter seemed to work for Mark Pritchard's "Under the Sun", so who knows?
The latter also worked for the Silent Hill soundtracks, particularly 3 and 4, although 2's would go from dark ambient to instrumental rock.
In all fairness, I have enough faith in BoC's quality control process to know that if it didn't work, it simply wouldn't come out.
I agree with this.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Probably an unpopular opinion, but if Finneas can manipulate Billie’s voice so we’ll in production, I would imagine the boys could do absolute wonders with her. From ghostly lines to passionate bellows, she has quite a range and would float nice skittering across the surface of those synths and samplers.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada