Place yer bets for 2023!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Sorry, but I really don’t see it happening in 2023. “Album is on its way” is intentionally vague - just confirms they’re working on one, which is great - but it could be another year, two years - who knows.

Also, don’t see them ever lining things up with anniversaries, etc.

Again, sorry.

Boqurant
Helios wrote:Sorry, but I really don’t see it happening in 2023. “Album is on its way” is intentionally vague - just confirms they’re working on one, which is great - but it could be another year, two years - who knows.

Again, sorry.

Wasn’t there a similar “on its way” disclosure from Hexagon Sun about 3 years before Tomorrow’s Harvest? I’d agree I haven’t seen anything to suggest anything is imminent

Dayvan Cowboy
There's no conclusive proof one way or the other if something will be out next year or in three years. But being positive, I'd like to hope sooner than later.

I will add that PIC told me to sit tight in August of 2019. That was three years ago. He did something similar in Jan 2010, three years before TH dropped
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Burning Shadow wrote:
Helios wrote:Sorry, but I really don’t see it happening in 2023. “Album is on its way” is intentionally vague - just confirms they’re working on one, which is great - but it could be another year, two years - who knows.

Again, sorry.

Wasn’t there a similar “on its way” disclosure from Hexagon Sun about 3 years before Tomorrow’s Harvest? I’d agree I haven’t seen anything to suggest anything is imminent

Yes there was. https://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_fr ... ember_2009

December 2009, MDG:
the new album has been held up over the past year by one or two issues outwith the band's control, but it is finally coming out in 2010.

But assuming he’d make the same mistake twice would seem unfair.

Boqurant
It wasn’t a mistake though, he said something was on its way, and it was.

Sherbet Head
Perhaps mdg meant 2010 days, in which case he was only 731 days out

Burning Shadow wrote:It wasn’t a mistake though, he said something was on its way, and it was.

It was a mistake because he literally said it was coming out in 2010 and it didn’t. Probably again for reasons out with his and the band’s control, yet still a mistake. I don’t think he will make such a mistake again. Hence he, this time, only told us it’s coming out, without a specific year mentioned.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:
Burning Shadow wrote:It wasn’t a mistake though, he said something was on its way, and it was.

It was a mistake because he literally said it was coming out in 2010 and it didn’t. Probably again for reasons out with his and the band’s control, yet still a mistake. I don’t think he will make such a mistake again. Hence he, this time, only told us it’s coming out, without a specific year mentioned.

No. He didn't tell us. He told babylulu in a Private Message.

I wouldn't liked to have been him, knowing that what was wrote privately would be shared and taken as gospel in the public domain.

Yes, he must've known it would happen, yet, I still find it iffy that the circumstances were private and not meant to be shared. I'm just like that. :)

Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

No. He didn't tell us. He told babylulu in a Private Message.

I wouldn't liked to have been him, knowing that what was wrote privately would be shared and taken as gospel in the public domain.

Yes, he must've known it would happen, yet, I still find it iffy that the circumstances were private and not meant to be shared. I'm just like that. :)

Well why did he share important information to a random (no harm intended) forum member? I guess this is a very calculated move. Especially since his 2009 mistake. I don't think he'd say this if it ain't true and if he wasn't comfortable of it going to leak to the public. I consider this to be good news. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:Well why did he share important information to a random (no harm intended) forum member? I guess this is a very calculated move. Especially since his 2009 mistake. I don't think he'd say this if it ain't true.

I am not proposing that the second instance of the confide in babylulu is not true. Nothing to do with the content, just the principle and context.
I just wouldn't like it if what was said in a Private Message was made public. Never mind what was spoken or to whom, the confines of a Private Message are between the individual and the recipient. Privacy is important to me, and that didn't at the time sit right with me.

On the bright side, I do think Mark David Garret would know that anything he said in a message wouldn't be kept private. So that's a plus, he isn't a clumsy man. You're right. :wink:

Edit: You've edited your post to say that last paragraph, I agree. :)

Eagle Minded
I just think yes, new album is coming - which was “officially” confirmed by MDG. This is great, but I’m completely over the speculation of *when*, since I don’t think a release date is as hyper-calculated as many suggest. The lining up with significant dates, anniversaries, etc. I just think it’ll be out when it’s done, and that’s it. Unfortunately, we just have no real reason to think it’s imminent other than “it’s been so long.”

Dayvan Cowboy
This thread is honestly meant just to keep the fire burning with speculation. Otherwise it would be a lot quieter. All in good fun mate.

They probably will do it on a random day because their last release was already very close to June 9th. You can't get more calculated than that.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Helios wrote:I just think yes, new album is coming - which was “officially” confirmed by MDG. This is great, but I’m completely over the speculation of *when*, since I don’t think a release date is as hyper-calculated as many suggest. The lining up with significant dates, anniversaries, etc. I just think it’ll be out when it’s done, and that’s it. Unfortunately, we just have no real reason to think it’s imminent other than “it’s been so long.”
You don't need hyper calculation to see 2023 is a good fit business-wise though. Just imagine all the free cheesy headlines BoC will receive from all the online press:

"After a decade of silence, the enigmatic brothers return with their most heartfelt album to date".

This just works from a marketing perspective. But I agree even without the link to 10 years of silence it will get a lot of press.

Yet it just seems like an easy opportunity to miss, like, why release it in Q4 2022 if you can wait just a bit more and have it in 2023 and profit from the decade hiatus? What're another few months now anyways?

Eagle Minded
Let's not forget that a new album could coincide nicely with the music press' celebration of MHTRTC's 25th birthday. A lot of things definitely seem to be aligning for 2023.

Then again, I've been saying "next year" for the past 5 years, so definitely take my speculation with a pinch of salt!

Sherbet Head wrote:Let's not forget that a new album could coincide nicely with the music press' celebration of MHTRTC's 25th birthday. A lot of things definitely seem to be aligning for 2023.

Then again, I've been saying "next year" for the past 5 years, so definitely take my speculation with a pinch of salt!
A pinch? A bucket!

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:
Sherbet Head wrote:Let's not forget that a new album could coincide nicely with the music press' celebration of MHTRTC's 25th birthday. A lot of things definitely seem to be aligning for 2023.

A pinch? A bucket!

If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
Still not enough, lads. :lol:

Eagle Minded
Helios wrote:I just think yes, new album is coming - which was “officially” confirmed by MDG. This is great, but I’m completely over the speculation of *when*, since I don’t think a release date is as hyper-calculated as many suggest. The lining up with significant dates, anniversaries, etc. I just think it’ll be out when it’s done, and that’s it. Unfortunately, we just have no real reason to think it’s imminent other than “it’s been so long.”

This really is it in a nutshell.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that there's an album and a BOCset going to get released in relatively quick succession. That's potentially a lot of vinyl to get printed and what with the shortages etc.

Dayvan Cowboy
Wildfire wrote:

My guess, for what it's worth, is that there's an album and a BOCset going to get released in relatively quick succession. That's potentially a lot of vinyl to get printed and what with the shortages etc.
Let's not kid ourselves, the "BoCset" isn't coming. It's been over a decade, the ship has sailed.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Wildfire wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves, the "BoCset" isn't coming. It's been over a decade, the ship has sailed.

So expensive I'd imagine, I would never be able to afford it anyway. And especially in 2023, with the cost of living crisis putting moths in all our wallets.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada