I genuinely don't believe the pre-OT albums actually exist.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
I do believe some of them **used** to exist, it's just they're not worth digging up for various reasons, one being that they may not have the original DAT anymore.

Friendly Stranger
That isn't true - BoC went through a long process of digitalising their extensive archive some years ago. I don't believe any of it would have been lost - they seem quite thorough about that sort of thing.

I'm also unconvinced that R35TT is a compilation from the unreleased albums. The track lengths don't match up and (for example) She Is P appears on R35TT in a slightly longer form than the Old Tunes cassette.

I reckon one of the brothers put R35TT together themselves largely from current work in progress around 1995ish. Maybe a few things on there are from much earlier. Maybe it was just to listen to in the car or on a Walkman and they gave the tape to a mate.

Posts Quantity
The evidence seems compelling enough that they exist. It's also not really unusual for bands who went on to have a prolific career to have had unreleased material distributed locally (friends/family) before they "made it". Some of their older material eventually did leak. Apparently just not all of it, which is still rather nice for the band if they prefer it that way. I for one am extremely grateful for what we do have.
ImageImage

Eagle Minded
They made this website early on and I don't think those are real albums at all. There was one of the web clips Chinook supposedly live I think that is lost forever does anyone have that I remember it

Sherbet Head
I am with you 100%. I'll maybe believe Acid Memories, but only if it truly was the cassette they gave to friends and family (I think I read somewhere that Duffy was a dog they had? DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS, I am a BOC enjoyer not a BOC encyclopedia).
But yeah. Play By Numbers is definitely not real. Hooper Bay is not real. Maybe Acid Memories but a lot of dominoes would have to fall into place.

I get wanting more BOC, I really really do, but sometimes people look for 'something' in absolutely buttfuck nothing. I hate that that's what happens to BOC most of all. They get asked these millions of questions they don't have answers to and then people get all pikachu-faced about it when they don't say anything. Bruh, look, if they really really REALLY are real, they'll come out one day. Be patient for that time. Driving yourself insane over these two guys only pushes them further and further away.

Eagle Minded
Its obnoxious that Acid Memories (with the image) is a killer concept

New Seed
This isn't solid proof by any means, but I do believe that ATP's track 7 is Noatak from Hooper Bay. The track times roughly line up, and the vocoded voice repeatedly says "Noatak". Also certain parts of the song definitely sound like they could be in the same album as Circle. This performance happened around the same time that the website page featuring their discography was made (I think?) which makes me think they were going through their old material at the time and decided to play the track live, though that is a bit of a reach.

I guess there is no conclusive evidence to say that these albums were made when they claim they were, or even if they all exist(ed) at all. But if that track truly is Noatak then we've basically heard 2 of 5 tracks supposedly from the EP.
Even if Hooper Bay as a release was never real, I'd still love to hear Circle and "Noatak" (ATP Track 7) in full quality.

My theory is that these albums were real, but were most likely under different names, and maybe only one copy of each was made. Which is why they haven't resurfaced. :D

Sherbet Head
Sorry dude but we debunked the 'Noatak' sample

phpBB [media]

New Seed
Oh, I didn't know that. Still a cool track either way but I'm slightly disappointed haha

Sherbet Head
Well all I can say is stick around, I think Pingis6 is working on an AI cleaned version of track 7

No pressure or anything Pingis ;)

luminousdusk wrote:Sorry dude but we debunked the 'Noatak' sample

phpBB [media]

Ha! Damnit. This is the first time I heard this sample. Ruined for me now. :)

Sherbet Head
Damn fredd where ya been man lol

luminousdusk wrote:Damn fredd where ya been man lol
off to the pub, actually!

Sherbet Head
Haha. I wonder what the brothers drink, presumably something beginning with M.. Mangers? Martinis? Or good old McEwans!

Eagle Minded
luminousdusk wrote:Haha. I wonder what the brothers drink, presumably something beginning with M.. Mangers? Martinis? Or good old McEwans!

coincidentally WIN (davy henderson's band in the latter half of the 80s who once mentioned BOC were fans of) had their music used in a McEwans ad at the time!
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Wtf! Mind=Blown

And there was me thinking there would never be any connection to Boc and McEwans lmao

Love it!

Eagle Minded
Interesting one here, no matter how you see or hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKJYOTHG0pM

Still waiting for that BOCset...... :)

This surfaced last year on a strange Aphex related soundcloud account, first place I heard it, has since been deleted from there. Time length matches, and definitely sounds like a Random 35 Track Tape track. Cue outrage..... I like the remastered art though either way. Enjoy. :)

(Edit: According to this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... d_the_way/) , surfaced first on youtube in 2020. Video link there has since been deleted. Same video up from that is here now though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQtTLfSJZT0 More youtube Hell Interface activity maybe...?)

Sherbet Head
Not gonna lie that is a cool track, I love it

Eagle Minded
i think this was made just to fuck with ppl, but it is a nice tune. it sounds a bit too DAW-y to be something from their earlier years
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
luminousdusk wrote:Not gonna lie that is a cool track, I love it
I know, right?? Superb track, better than anything new I've heard in the last 10 or so years and definitely sounds like early 90's boc judging from the Random 35 Track Tape, which I have listened to more than is healthy for a regular human. I am a bit pissed though because that soundcloud account also posted Petina, which I recorded then lost somehow, but then was taken down..... It was legit too. Sounded way too weird and gnarly and very much like A04 from R35TT in way that couldn't possibly be faked. Hmmm, maybe I should ask them to repost. Here's the account for reference, and for anyone who wants literally endless obscure Rephlex related 90's electronic tracks: https://soundcloud.com/user21041984001 Enjoy. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada