GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
If they could speak this is what they'd say

Someone on Reddit went to David Stubb's BoC talk last Sunday and there's some interesting info.

their next album will be about something - shaped and coloured like nothing else. And it will burn bright!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... &context=3

Here's all the bullet points:
Spoiler: show
  • Stated that Boards of Canada are not necessarily ambient - more related to the ageing process. They implant devices in their music to guard against the New Age traps of blissful immersion.
  • They resist getting drawn in to the urban circuit, which they assume will corrupt them.
  • They are painstaking in their process - he compared it to distilling whiskey, but more complex.
  • Talked of their influences: Meat Beat Manifesto, Delia Derbyshire, William Bazinski, John Carpenter. Even Clannad's soundtrack to Robin of Sherwood.
  • But what they make of this is idiosyncratic and new. They revive analog methods, which was fairly unique in the early 90s. They rely also on hundreds of acoustic instruments. Mentioned the anecdote about the roadtrip to get that synth that they used for 1 second on Cold Earth.
  • They are anti-iconic. They aren't as reclusive as Burial, but they resist the tropes of the industry.
  • He talked about their Canada / National Film Board of Canada influences - that gives their work an impressionistic blurriness.
  • A really interesting piece about the role of public information films of the 60s and 70s - conveying times that were at once better and worse - a benevolent state that was protecting their society from horrors. Gave an example of this video. Mentioned the influence of The BBC Radiophonic Workshop.
  • Touched on Hauntology - but claimed they are less on the nose than The Focus Group.
  • Talked about Daphne Oram briefly. Didn't really catch that bit.
  • Mentioned the ghostlike surface energy of Wildlife Analysis, and how this was an inaugeral piece for them, announcing their aesthetic.
  • Mentioned the influence of incidental music - the high fluting synth tones. This was a really beautiful section of the talk and really conveyed their sound through words.
  • Talked about ageing - how children of a certain time only have faded corrupted artifacts of their own memories. Children and childhood was about mundane moments, waiting around in doctors waiting rooms, watching slow documentaries. These memories when recollected are warm and calming because they are memories of intermission and relief.
  • Talked about the dangers of nostalgia - the reactionary "it was better in my day" narrative. But countered that there was "mundane" violence everywhere - committed by teachers, neighbours, family members. So these more melifluous moments from Boards of Canada (mainly MHTRTC and BoC Maxima) exist in the spaces between an otherwise fairly violent and stressful world.
  • Mentioned how they differ greatly from Autechre, even though Sean Booth basically discovered them.
  • Then touched on the other side of BoC - the Geogaddi departure into uneasy and unnerving sounds. The more vicious sound. Mentioned how 1969 was when Charles Manson was plotting a race war, and how "In a Beautiful Place" explicitly references David Koresh. Mentioned the Wire article where Sandison talks about the superficial calm of that EP, but that underneath it all was the horror of reality.
  • The production process for BoC is about subtraction and removal.
  • Then the shift with Campfire Headphase - conveying how acid basically fucks with your perception. It's a trial by ordeal - a bad trip.
  • Compared them to Van Gogh - the torment that results in fiercely extatic beauty - texture playing a key role.
  • Described Tomorrow's Harvest as a warning to the future - visualising the prospect of complete environmental collapse.
  • Mentioned this post and quoted the whole thing as an example of people who can get fully lost in the depths of their music. BoC leave a lot for fans to find - palendromic structures etc. But this isn't something he does - it's too hard to do, and BoC's music just naturally collides with his mind in a way that doesn't need that sort of scrutiny.
  • Mentioned that they're agnostic - but you sense that they're rationalists who want to be wrong - they want to believe in the strange and out there.
  • Their legacy is abundent - Bibio, Tycho, Romance, and the whole back to analog movement. But the only traces recently have been remixes.
  • Played the Neverman remix - a potential direction they could build on, but their next album will be about something - shaped and coloured like nothing else. And it will burn bright!

The first talk was sold out so they decided to host another one next weekend:
https://dice.fm/partner/spotify/event/6 ... on-tickets

Eagle Minded
What's Stubb's connection to them?

"their next album will be about something - shaped and coloured like nothing else. And it will burn bright!" - are we to take this as prediction/projection?

Davism wrote:What's Stubb's connection to them?

"their next album will be about something - shaped and coloured like nothing else. And it will burn bright!" - are we to take this as prediction/projection?
He doesn't strike me as someone who would just make up some stories. https://davidstubbs.net

A History Of Warp Records in Eight Releases
David Stubbs, former editor of The Wire magazine and a self-confessed Warp fanatic, charts the history of Britain's bravest record label. DS
https://www.vice.com/en/article/6adpqz/ ... recordings

David Stubbs is a journalist and author. He has written for NME, The Wire, The Guardian, The Sunday Times, Uncut, The Quietus He was formerly staff writer at Melody Maker. His books include Future Days: Krautrock and the Building of Modern Germany and Mars by 1980: The Story of Electronic Music both published by FABER & FABER.
https://dice.fm/partner/spotify/event/6 ... on-tickets

I like to assume that he is not going to just lie regarding his statement about the upcoming album. The statement also sounds logical, after a dark album like Tomorrow's Harvest, I do expect a bright album now. Hopeful. Let's hope his talk didn't just come out, maybe even endorsed by the band, and that he somehow has foreknowledge of what lies ahead.

Friendly Stranger

It's a star. gotta be.

Dayvan Cowboy

This is a guess, right? Or is he actually in-the-know?

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
DW wrote:
That's understandable.

I wish I had saved that, only because of the cute flute logo.

(saved from the old boc website)

Thank you!

Dayvan Cowboy
vapordracula wrote:

It's a star. gotta be.

It's a blackstar ;)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
vapordracula wrote:

It's a star. gotta be.

It's a blackstar ;)

Not a gangster. Not a filmstar. Not a white star. I'm a blackstar. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
vapordracula wrote:

It's a star. gotta be.

It's a blackstar ;)
There's no way to persuade
them to give up their crusade
They've come to grant the wish
you should have never made
Sing hallelujah 'cause you can't change anything

I've never listened to David Bowie.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:

It's a blackstar ;)

Not a gangster. Not a filmstar. Not a white star. I'm a blackstar. :D[/quote]

Thank you for making my day. Still think there's a connection between Bowie and BOC ever since the plaque dropped

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Echelon wrote:
It's a blackstar ;)

Not a gangster. Not a filmstar. Not a white star. I'm a blackstar. :D

Thank you for making my day. Still think there's a connection between Bowie and BOC ever since the plaque dropped

It's a pleasure!
Sidenote. I love all the references in the Blackstar titletrack.
The name of it to me is a metaphor for his death, a blackstar (he talks in the present tense). While the verses reference parts of his career (in the past tense): "I'm not a filmstar" = is he talking about 'The Man Who Fell To Earth'? "I'm not a white star" = Thin White Duke addiction, or a reference to his Northern Soul leanings on Young Americans maybe?

There's so much in the song and music video to nitpick out and analyse. I think it's a ruddy masterpiece!

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:Someone on Reddit went to David Stubb's BoC talk last Sunday and there's some interesting info.

their next album will be about something - shaped and coloured like nothing else. And it will burn bright!

Well according to the OP:

I would say the way he expressed it (though it was basically this wording) was from the angle of "whatever they do next"...

So unfortunately not necessarily in the know!
---
Fuck transphobes

Radiobuzz wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:Someone on Reddit went to David Stubb's BoC talk last Sunday and there's some interesting info.

Well according to the OP:

I would say the way he expressed it (though it was basically this wording) was from the angle of "whatever they do next"...

So unfortunately not necessarily in the know!

Too bad we can't hear it for ourselves. Regardless I think it's not too far fetched to expect a bright album this time, contrary to the gloomy TH.

Eagle Minded
I too vote for a bright album again, like Campfire Headphase though more electronic. Kind of like Sometimes, Sisters, and Mr. Mistake remixes, or somewhere along those lines.... hopefully.

My current most insanely optimistic speculation is this: announcement on or around Tomorrow's Harvest ten year anniversary. (Where does the time go?!?!?!) Also, around June 9th! And there will be not one, not two, but three releases! The long awaited BOCset of the first unreleased albums or at least some of them, an anthology BOCset of selected outtakes from all eras, and a brand new traditional release. Kind of like what they did with the vinyl represses and Tomorrow's Harvest way back when. Some sort of mega release for the ages..... That way they won't have to release anything for at least another 5 to 10 to 100 years, and can just really kick back for awhile, finally breathing a sigh of relief. Oh I can dream alright. :lol:

Sherbet Head
WE NEED OOEY GOOEY AGAIN!!!!!!

Dayvan Cowboy
cubistking1906 wrote:I too vote for a bright album again, like Campfire Headphase though more electronic. Kind of like Sometimes, Sisters, and Mr. Mistake remixes, or somewhere along those lines.... hopefully.

My current most insanely optimistic speculation is this: announcement on or around Tomorrow's Harvest ten year anniversary. (Where does the time go?!?!?!) Also, around June 9th! And there will be not one, not two, but three releases! The long awaited BOCset of the first unreleased albums or at least some of them, an anthology BOCset of selected outtakes from all eras, and a brand new traditional release. Kind of like what they did with the vinyl represses and Tomorrow's Harvest way back when. Some sort of mega release for the ages..... That way they won't have to release anything for at least another 5 to 10 to 100 years, and can just really kick back for awhile, finally breathing a sigh of relief. Oh I can dream alright. :lol:

Nice to have some BOCtimism on here! I too think the new album will be a grand event. That's why it's taking so long. But soon enough it'll be here and the lads will be back in the spotlight.

Eagle Minded
"The past inside the present"

Dayvan Cowboy
Does anyone try the AI yet on boc Brothers, we have their voices, it would be hilarious to have their opinion on the things

Dayvan Cowboy
hexagonFox wrote:"The past inside the present"

Kinky
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada