Why did they only do one Peel session?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56lC46ag0wg

Just surprised they didn't record more radio sessions.

Sherbet Head
Be cause none wouldn't be enough and two would be too much

New Seed
luminousdusk wrote:Be cause none wouldn't be enough and two would be too much

If you don't know just say you don't know.

I assume it's because they were never asked back.

Sherbet Head
Timeless Time wrote:

Well actually apparently they were hoping to do a second Peel session before the late Sir Peel passed away. I'm sure this has been discussed before.

And I'll say what I like mate :D

Eagle Minded
luminousdusk wrote:
Timeless Time wrote:

Well actually apparently they were hoping to do a second Peel session before the late Sir Peel passed away. I'm sure this has been discussed before.

And I'll say what I like mate :D

Yeah, I heard this too.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that everything was set in stone and ready to go, shortly before Peel's death, but I genuinely can't remember/find where I read that. A comment from mdg perhaps?

Sherbet Head
Interesting information! I've no idea where I heard it either. If not MDG maybe in an interview. It's a great shame, Not only John passing but we may have heard some completely new material

Sherbet Head wrote: A comment from mdg perhaps?

I doubt it because it would've ended up here: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_Hexagon_Sun

luminousdusk wrote:Interesting information! I've no idea where I heard it either. If not MDG maybe in an interview. It's a great shame, Not only John passing but we may have heard some completely new material

I checked this one pager that contains all interview text for keyword "peel" and nothing relevant to a second session pops up. https://bocpages.org/wiki/Interviews-all

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:
luminousdusk wrote:Interesting information! I've no idea where I heard it either. If not MDG maybe in an interview. It's a great shame, Not only John passing but we may have heard some completely new material

I checked this one pager that contains all interview text for keyword "peel" and nothing relevant to a second session pops up. https://bocpages.org/wiki/Interviews-all

It's true, I found no mention of anything on boc pages or the Internet in general looking for this information. It must have been a poster here not MDG who said it, So it may be BS

Friendly Stranger
Maybe they were conflicted about working with Sir Peel because of all the allegations going on. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jo ... 97866.html
“If you can’t laugh at life, it just isn’t funny anymore.” (Wavy Gravy quoted by Sasha in PiHKAL: https://isomerdesign.com/PiHKAL/read.php?id=64)

Sherbet Head
He was never arrested or questioned though so maybe that's all BS too? Let the guy rest in peace ffs. Not fair to accuse dead people when they can't defend themselves

Friendly Stranger
luminousdusk wrote:He was never arrested or questioned though so maybe that's all BS too? Let the guy rest in peace ffs. Not fair to accuse dead people when they can't defend themselves

I get where you're coming from. I was stating the fact that such allegations might have a negative effect on working together. Don't you agree? Certainly something to take into account, instead of just reacting out of emotions.
“If you can’t laugh at life, it just isn’t funny anymore.” (Wavy Gravy quoted by Sasha in PiHKAL: https://isomerdesign.com/PiHKAL/read.php?id=64)

Sherbet Head
Yeah I get you, but you can't completely cut someone off because of an unproven rumour, Especially if you just want to play some music on the radio and get your stuff heard nationwide.

Like if someone told me you killed someone with no proof would it be fair to completely ignore you and cut you out of my life? I don't think so

Besides the allegation came out 7 years after he died so no

Posts Quantity
I also remember reading a quote that Boards of Canada were invited to do a second Peel session but he sadly passed away before it came about. I read this somewhere in the past few years, I can't remember where.

Not sure why it doesn't show up anywhere on bocpages, tried to search for it here also but found nothing.

EDIT: OK found the mention of it here: viewtopic.php?p=294028#p294028 (needs to find the original source, if there is one?)
Echelon wrote:I'll also bring to attention that Mike told Warp in one of his only interviews since 2013 that they had prepared a second session for John Peel in 2004 but he sadly died.

Could that bit of info maybe have come from some promo text Warp put out around the time of the Peel Session reissue?

Sherbet Head
Nicely found quote mate well done.

This is weird. Could this be dis/misinformation? I'm struggling to find anything at all referencing this but then again I don't really know where else to look. BoC pages is literally the BoC Bible. If it ain't there.. Its probably not anywhere

outhudd wrote:Could that bit of info maybe have come from some promo text Warp put out around the time of the Peel Session reissue?

Possibly

Dayvan Cowboy
A friend tipped me off about this topic.

Here are my citations so it isn't misinformation

https://warp.net/editorial/radio-live-t ... st-history

One of Warp’s best loved acts is the enigmatic Scottish electronic duo, Boards Of Canada, and perhaps unsurprisingly, John Peel was an early supporter. Their session, which was originally broadcast on 21 July 1998, came just months after the release of their full-length debut album Music Has The Right To Children. The broadcast included notably different, dreamier, more psychedelic and pastoral versions of key tunes ‘Olson’ and ‘Aquarius’ plus the noticeably alternative hip hop influenced version of ‘Happy Cycling’. Perhaps the most interesting track here for BOC spotters is ‘XYZ’, which has been left off previous official releases of this session due to sampling rights issues.

The sessions nearly always tended to be recorded in advance either at the BBC or mailed in on DAT (this was in contrast to bands playing live on air during the show which weren’t counted as sessions). For some reason however these four tracks were recorded while the show was being broadcast meaning that Boards Of Canada, a notoriously publicity shy duo, were one of the only bands to give a live interview on air as their session went out.

Mike Sandison of BOC recalls sneaking off during a break to nosey around different rooms situated off the warren-like corridors of Maida Vale, with the vain hope of bumping into Radiophonic Workshop and KPM library music legend, Paddy Kingsland. What they found instead was “a shabby old place illuminated by the ghosts of Hendrix, Marc Bolan and Ian Curtis”.

Talking about the session he says: "It was an honour to be invited by John Peel to perform in the haunted environment at BBC Maida Vale in 1998. Sadly we never got to do our second session for John which had been scheduled shortly before he passed away in 2004, but we still hope to play it to him someday.”
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
Echelon you fucking legend

Return to Boards of Canada