What are your hopes/expectations for the next release?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

What are your hopes/expectations for a new release?

New LP or EP
61%
Collection of bonus tracks, remixes and compilation appearances
3%
An Old Tunes/Pre-Twoism box set
35%

Total votes: 88

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Hey, Opothecary good analysis form your side, I see you mentioned Gemini track lenght,
this is indeed a funny one. Gemini track lenght is 2:56, TH warp catalogue number is 257, maybe just a coincidence..

I'd always had it in my head that the track length and catalog number were the same, my mistake. Guess it's been awhile since I've paid attention! Gemini is such a key track in introducing an album and setting the tone, probably does the best job of that since Wildlife Analysis.

we talk about adding up to 32 from their recent activity, but 16 x 16 = 2:56 too :P

Friendly Stranger
Opothecary wrote:
Valotonin wrote:Like I say, this is speculation based on my hopes for happier music to come.

I think their next big idea is going to be something like a "Geogaddi signs up for Facebook and Twitter" type of concept, if you want to reduce it to a snappy soundbyte. You look at the kind of world we live in now and how it's been shaped by the internet, the decisions that many make in terms of entertainment consumption day to day boils down to a numeric review average, some people live their lives via their social media accounts, their number of likes, shares and retweets are incredibly important to them. It almost makes me wonder if what they are doing right now with social media is sort of a meta commentary that runs along the lines of what they're about to drop on us or will release someday.

Modern life right now is this weird secular version of many of the themes previously explored, but it's kind of cold and sterile, there's no space for kaleidoscopes and gyroscopes. Decision making is all based on numbers now, but it's also how certain people insist on obtaining their information on the world, willingly stuck inside these hermetically sealed echo chambers where nothing that conflicts with their worldview is allowed inside, much like how life inside a cult would be. Numbers and cults, sound familiar?

If what you're saying is true, maybe we'll get a BoC album with some Vaporwave influences? That would be amazing to hear to me personally. Vaporwave in it's most basic form is already "Geogaddi goes to the 90s"

Dayvan Cowboy
Tarkus wrote:
Opothecary wrote:
Valotonin wrote:If what you're saying is true, maybe we'll get a BoC album with some Vaporwave influences? That would be amazing to hear to me personally. Vaporwave in it's most basic form is already "Geogaddi goes to the 90s"

I'm not even really sure what this thing could be anymore...knowing the relevance of 11/22 (St. Cecilia feast day) and the Sisters video/overall sound seems to foretell some type of some kind of more slightly upbeat pastoral material...in terms of a vaporwave album, I don't know if I could see them intentionally exploring newer subgenres of music, they have always seemed a lot more interested in doing whatever they want without much regard for what their peers are doing at a given time. It's a big pile of speculation in either direction about something that probably isn't even happening anytime soon!

I do hope we hear something on 10/10, but 10/17 is TCH's 11 year anniversary. Didn't they kick off the TH proceedings on MHTRTC's 15 year anniversary?

Dayvan Cowboy
I think they released it on 20 years anniversary of Boards of Canada, correct me if I am wrong.

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:
Echo the Sun wrote:lol i think lsd impacted you're idea of how lsd impacted society

I disagree, but I will acknowledge that most of the ground that it broke was within the 10 years or so following its popularization, so its easy to say that its not a huge deal with the amount of time that's passed since the peak of that era. I wasn't alive for it, I'm sure 99% of Twoism wasn't either!

However you feel about it, the Beatles, the Grateful Dead, the DNA double helix, Steve Jobs, maybe even BoC, wouldn't be the same if LSD didn't exist. Life was something analogous to Leave it to Beaver before it came and changed the world, that should be all the proof that you need of its impact.

just because the dates line up?

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:
Valotonin wrote:Like I say, this is speculation based on my hopes for happier music to come.

I think their next big idea is going to be something like a "Geogaddi signs up for Facebook and Twitter" type of concept, if you want to reduce it to a snappy soundbyte. You look at the kind of world we live in now and how it's been shaped by the internet, the decisions that many make in terms of entertainment consumption day to day boils down to a numeric review average, some people live their lives via their social media accounts, their number of likes, shares and retweets are incredibly important to them. It almost makes me wonder if what they are doing right now with social media is sort of a meta commentary that runs along the lines of what they're about to drop on us or will release someday.

Modern life right now is this weird secular version of many of the themes previously explored, but it's kind of cold and sterile, there's no space for kaleidoscopes and gyroscopes. Decision making is all based on numbers now, but it's also how certain people insist on obtaining their information on the world, willingly stuck inside these hermetically sealed echo chambers where nothing that conflicts with their worldview is allowed inside, much like how life inside a cult would be. Numbers and cults, sound familiar?

It seems to me that you're the one living in a sealed echo chamber. You see only what you want to see, and that's a depressing world filled with new things that scare you.

Sherbet Head
ill expect it to be along the lines of their last few tracks on TH, new seeds, new wave, more guitars. like what they did with TCH but more electric this time and synths. that odd nosdam sisters remix is almost 80s 4Ad-esque. thats my direction on it anyway.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echo the Sun wrote:just because the dates line up?

What dates?

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:

What dates?

sorry, i'll clarify. do you believe that lsd had a significant impact on society just because the things you mentioned coincided with the widespread use of the drug, or do you have hard evidence that correlates lsd with those things?

Dayvan Cowboy
Echo the Sun wrote:
Opothecary wrote:

What dates?

sorry, i'll clarify. do you believe that lsd had a significant impact on society just because the things you mentioned coincided with the widespread use of the drug, or do you have hard evidence that correlates lsd with those things?

Sure, that's easy, I don't really want to derail the thread any further so this will be about it for me on the subject. Anyone who has ingested LSD even once knows that it gives you lasting insights and helps you see alternative ways of approaching problems. There's professionals/engineers/creative types who microdose (ingest threshold amounts) to get these types of benefits from it, but not enough to get the usual accompanying mindfuck. It's not coincidence that its widespread use coincided with major societal upheaval. It does stick with you in some respects even after the (at the time) earth shattering insights that you're feeling while under the influence fade afterward.

Some people used it correctly, most did not. Some used it for insight, some used it for escape. I think it's very misunderstood, the war on drugs/"just say no" in the 70s/80s in the US (and subsequently worldwide) created all these false equivalencies, that all "drugs" are bad and useless.

I'd challenge anyone to name a more important game changer other than LSD and the internet in the second half of the 20th century. It was actually a lot like the internet in that respect, you can spend your time reading up on a new subject, or you can spend all your time playing mobile games and shitposting on message boards. It can be great or awful depending on your approach and what you want to get out of it. I would say even now it has more of a taboo attached to it now than it did then. For a time it was cheap, legal and there was no draconian war on drugs equating it with heroin and crystal meth.

This is just a quick Google search so I'm sure there's plenty of clickbait.

Microdosing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/psy ... bb4bac9db8

The Beatles:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ce-w436062

Steve Jobs:

https://www.thefix.com/content/steve-jo ... d-lsd-9143

Grateful Dead:

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/gratef ... oking-for/

DNA double helix:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AFr ... ck#LSD_Use

Note the above is just a discussion on the subject, I think it's still a contentious topic that involves people applying their own beliefs and morals to it - if you're open minded or pro LSD, you want to believe it had an influence, if you're a proper scientific mind, maybe not.

Sherbet Head
'Hopes'.. uh, that it happens? That's what I hope.

Posts Quantity
Haven't logged on since 2013. What did I miss?
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Dayvan Cowboy
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:Haven't logged on since 2013. What did I miss?

Different things. I'd say 10/10/16 and 11/22/16 could be interesting days this year.

Sherbet Head
This may sound crazy . . . but what if, by some crazy chance, they decide to release their next album on a date that has no numeric significance ? I know, I know, it's farfetched. But it isn't something you can rule out entirely, is it ?

We decided that Satellite Anthem Icarus is the least disliked BoC track. That's pretty much it.

Sherbet Head

they released 2 remixes, one is a track called sisters, the other is a track called mr. mistake

besides that, just people going on wild goose chases and trying to find hidden things in the music that aren't there

Posts Quantity
Thanks. Both Mr. Mistake and Sisters remixes are pretty sick--love hearing new material. Wouldn't mind finding an instrumental version of Mr. Mistake (if it exists). Do feel that timing is right for the brothers' to release a new EP consisting of some TH leftovers and maybe a new track or two.
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Sherbet Head
Fireal420 wrote:besides that, just people going on wild goose chases and trying to find hidden things in the music that aren't there

I think Brendan was asking about new things that happened between now and 2013.

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:Sure, that's easy, I don't really want to derail the thread any further so this will be about it for me on the subject. Anyone who has ingested LSD even once knows that it gives you lasting insights and helps you see alternative ways of approaching problems. There's professionals/engineers/creative types who microdose (ingest threshold amounts) to get these types of benefits from it, but not enough to get the usual accompanying mindfuck. It's not coincidence that its widespread use coincided with major societal upheaval. It does stick with you in some respects even after the (at the time) earth shattering insights that you're feeling while under the influence fade afterward.

Some people used it correctly, most did not. Some used it for insight, some used it for escape. I think it's very misunderstood, the war on drugs/"just say no" in the 70s/80s in the US (and subsequently worldwide) created all these false equivalencies, that all "drugs" are bad and useless.

I'd challenge anyone to name a more important game changer other than LSD and the internet in the second half of the 20th century. It was actually a lot like the internet in that respect, you can spend your time reading up on a new subject, or you can spend all your time playing mobile games and shitposting on message boards. It can be great or awful depending on your approach and what you want to get out of it. I would say even now it has more of a taboo attached to it now than it did then. For a time it was cheap, legal and there was no draconian war on drugs equating it with heroin and crystal meth.

This is just a quick Google search so I'm sure there's plenty of clickbait.

Microdosing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/psy ... bb4bac9db8

The Beatles:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ce-w436062

Steve Jobs:

https://www.thefix.com/content/steve-jo ... d-lsd-9143

Grateful Dead:

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/gratef ... oking-for/

DNA double helix:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AFr ... ck#LSD_Use

Note the above is just a discussion on the subject, I think it's still a contentious topic that involves people applying their own beliefs and morals to it - if you're open minded or pro LSD, you want to believe it had an influence, if you're a proper scientific mind, maybe not.

Interesting stuff. I'd have to do a lot more research on this before I'd feel comfortable having an opinion on this matter, but if just a little of what you suggested is true, it would change my worldview in a pretty significant way. Before you suggested it, I never would have thought of lsd as anything more than a passing fad.

I mean, I really don't know a lot about recreational drug use, as I have never used drugs recreational. I mean, I don't even think I've ever been drunk. Why? I have no clue. I just feels like I'm arbitrarily compelled not to. Or just never had a good enough reason to. Weird, huh? Every one I know has used drugs. Some very heavily. I have nothing against those who do—well, at least those who use them responsibly in accordance with an accurate self-appraisal.

On a completely unrelated topic, you mentioned derailing the thread. I have never thought of derailing a thread as a bad thing. I don't see thread topics as hypotheses for research papers, as many seem to; I see them as conversation prompts. Thus, when a topic derails, it's fine because that's just where the conversation naturally went. Why are people so obsessed with staying on topic? There's really no good reason.

Sherbet Head
drillkicker wrote:
Fireal420 wrote:besides that, just people going on wild goose chases and trying to find hidden things in the music that aren't there

I think Brendan was asking about new things that happened between now and 2013.

hahaha nice

i feel like the new website is going to be unveiled soon. i get the vibe that the new website will come with a lot of other delights. i guess the ultimate thing to happen would be that the release a bunch of their old catalogue, along with a new album. one can dream right?

Eagle Minded
Fireal420 wrote:i feel like the new website is going to be unveiled soon. i get the vibe that the new website will come with a lot of other delights. i guess the ultimate thing to happen would be that the release a bunch of their old catalogue, along with a new album. one can dream right?

No new site, the Bleep page will be updated with a black box - mwhahaha :mrgreen:
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada