What are your hopes/expectations for the next release?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

What are your hopes/expectations for a new release?

New LP or EP
61%
Collection of bonus tracks, remixes and compilation appearances
3%
An Old Tunes/Pre-Twoism box set
35%

Total votes: 88

Sherbet Head
I just hope that if / when they release something new, they wrong-foot all of us. Just like they did during spring of 2013.

Eagle Minded
I honestly have no idea what to expect. I was firmly in the 'new LP' camp for the longest time, but the recent Buckie High tweet threw me right off. Makes me think the pre-Twoism box set is a possibility.

The compilation thing would be ever-so-slightly underwhelming, but I'd still gladly take it!

Boqurant
The gap between TCH and TH are 8 years and we are *only* 5 years between TH and now. It is more than likely that it is a pre-Twoism box set that a new album. And the BOC tweets concern only MHTRTC and Hi Scores now, not TH era.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:In my opinion, there are two documentary releases thusfar: IABPOITC was one they did extensive research on in relation to the Branch Davidians, as we have confirmation from a Branch Davidian who was pretty high up in the heirarchy having had a conversation with BoC around the time of the EP's inception. TH was another of these documentary albums, but the real meaning and how they did their research might take a while to unfold as we gather information.

All of the other releases focus primarily around feeling, and I would go so far as to venture that it is in relation to their personal experiences. We can most likely expect a future release going back to the bittersweetness of nostalgia etc, albeit in a direction that takes us completely by surprise.

I love the idea of BoC as "musical documentary makers," doing interviews and exploring a subject, etc. and presenting their findings in the form of music & art. That's a really interesting and I think very accurate way of putting it. That's also supported by the interview with Amo Bishop Roden that appears in the Poppy Seed remix, which came out around the time of IABPOITC and was probably cut from the same source.

It kind of fits with what we know about some of the other members of Hexagon Sun, too. If you look at Peter Iain Campbell's website, it's a mixture of more abstract, personal artistic work and documentary-style photography depicting life on offshore rigs in the North Sea. There definitely seems to be a theme of combining the artistic and the informational. (Also, I just love PIC's photography, I now follow him on Instagram.)

MadMaz wrote:The gap between TCH and TH are 8 years and we are *only* 5 years between TH and now. It is more than likely that it is a pre-Twoism box set that a new album. And the BOC tweets concern only MHTRTC and Hi Scores now, not TH era.

I think there's reason to believe we won't have such a long gap between TH and the next album, though, for a couple of reasons. First of all, they've been keeping more active than they were after TCH, doing remixes regularly and starting to post on social media. And secondly, they mentioned in interviews that they took some time after TCH to expand their studio significantly, which probably accounted for some of the delay. If they recently expanded their studio they shouldn't have a need to do that again for awhile, and also, it might theoretically streamline production.

I want to see the pre-Twoism work as much as anyone else, but I think releasing a box set of old material is something a band would be more likely to do near the end of their career, when they're no longer really producing new work, to kind of wrap things up. And I don't think they're at that point yet, given that in TH-era interviews they said they had no intention to stop making music any time soon.

Boqurant
Box set of old material can be a ultimate gift or for wait for a new album

Eagle Minded
honestly at this point i just hope they're happy with whatever they release next, and that they take as much time as they need to make that happen
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Posts Quantity
Cosmic Manta wrote:honestly at this point i just hope they're happy with whatever they release next, and that they take as much time as they need to make that happen

I felt like TH turned out this way and I too hope they can be satisfied with their next "project"...

Sherbet Head
I hope it's gonna revolve around a theme I could never come up with myself, so it will be a total surprise when it arrives. And I personally find that going into something with zero expectations is the best thing, just allowing it to wash over you.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Cosmic Manta wrote:honestly at this point i just hope they're happy with whatever they release next, and that they take as much time as they need to make that happen

24-carat, diamond-tipped truth.

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Gazebo4 wrote:I hope it's gonna revolve around a theme I could never come up with myself, so it will be a total surprise when it arrives. And I personally find that going into something with zero expectations is the best thing, just allowing it to wash over you.

That's well said, I'm going to second that. Part of me wants a "sequel" album to TH or Geogaddi (with similar themes and motifs), but I know that to hope/expect for such is probably not wise in the long run. I'm trying to be ready for anything.

Nova Scotia Robot
Hopes: They release something that is uplifting, happy and carefree sounding.

Expectations: They impress me again regardless of my above hopes.

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:Hopes: They release something that is uplifting, happy and carefree sounding.

Expectations: They impress me again regardless of my above hopes.

i have a hunch the next lp is going to carry more positive vibes as well. fingers crossed for 60 minutes of like roygbiv-like bliss and innocence.
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Sherbet Head
I'd like a late 80s/early 90's videogame soundtrack type album, with some tunes like 'Apperatus'

Failing that i'd like the same era but with dancey/techno kinda tunes like 'Staircase whip' and 'To the wind'

Sherbet Head
Hoping for new material, but expecting old material.

Eagle Minded
It would be fun if they started a continuous audiovisual livestream, with no announcement in advance, that we would frantically try to record and preserve, inevitably missing the first few minutes of the broadcast that would survive only in the memories of the lucky few who happened to be tuned in at the very beginning.

Dayvan Cowboy
That would actually be awesome.

And then maybe they’d have a track listing, and we’d see that they started out with Catalog 3 and got all the way through Hooper Bay before anyone solved the clues to find the stream. :lol:

Sherbet Head
The new album must be close as I don't come on here unless there is hype afoot.
Album will consist of a 60's hippy vibe based on happy commune living which turns dark as life does not seem to be as rosy as the leader promised. probably have samples from documented similar events/situations to this theme.
I think the last remixes alluded to this style a bit so may be a clue to what to expect.
Who knows though? obviously.
You could feel the bullshit

Sherbet Head
Whatever the material, I kind of hope they just release it without all the treasure hunt cryptic hype. Im probably alone on that one haha.

Sherbet Head
There may be potential in a pre-historic primeval pop album with media used from the era.

Posts Quantity
vballs wrote:Whatever the material, I kind of hope they just release it without all the treasure hunt cryptic hype. Im probably alone on that one haha.

I missed all that stuff last time around as I didn't get into them until early 2014, so I reeeeeeeally want some cryptic easter eggs or an ARG, lol.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada