GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Approx. track lengths on the Youtube videos:
A1 (Seward Leaf): 6:35
A2 (Geiser): 5:00
A3 (Circle): 2:25??? (followed by about 0:50 of possibly a drone in the runout groove? or just some noise from the dude's hi-fi)
B1 (Noatak): 7:55
B2 (Point Hope): 7:00

Track lengths from the old website (listed on bocpages):
"Seward Leaf" – 7:02
"Geiser" – 5:15
"Circle" – 2:38
"Noatak" – 8:41
"Point Hope" – 7:16

...so some discrepancies in both directions.

Sounds really cool to me, especially side B. Some of the drum sounds and rhythms really fit with older BoC in my mind. In the past the biggest thing that's given away fakes to me is the production and I can't make a guess about that because of the way this is recorded (out of a hi-fi into a camcorder mic I guess).

Friendly Stranger
arvy wrote:Yeah, Geiser sounds like something Tim Hecker would release, but then that beat comes in, wow
I really hope I can listen to it in better audio quality, Seward leaf when the beat also come in. Is amazing.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
Meanwhile, Warp uploaded an article today that has some very interesting phrasing, are we really just going to gloss over this?

https://bleep.com/newsletters/boards-of ... 25th-anv-1

"No, we don't know when the new BoC album is coming"

Friendly Stranger
It also says "pray for their return". They don't know anything apart from that BoC are signed to their label.

Eagle Minded
Thatch wrote:It also says "pray for their return". They don't know anything apart from that BoC are signed to their label.

They know there is one though, they could possibly be going off of mdg's babylulu confirmation

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:
Thatch wrote:It also says "pray for their return". They don't know anything apart from that BoC are signed to their label.

They know there is one though, they could possibly be going off of mdg's babylulu confirmation

I don't think them saying stuff like pray for their return, or don't know when their return will be says anything tbh.
For all we know they could be planning their next ARG release campaign at the moment, and just act like they are out of the loop :wink:
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
I've got a backseat justwokenup view on all this, spare me the deets, I gather both sides have been posted now? :lol:

Like a weeping angel, I'm gonna blink now and I'll expect you all to move like you're trying to break the sound barrier. Seriously though, I wake up to both sides actually being posted, my disbelief has been suspended.

Last edited by Orbited insanitarium on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:Meanwhile, Warp uploaded an article today that has some very interesting phrasing, are we really just going to gloss over this?

https://bleep.com/newsletters/boards-of ... 25th-anv-1

"No, we don't know when the new BoC album is coming"

I agree, record labels don't put the words "new album is coming" in one sentence for no reason

Dayvan Cowboy
franjkmetal wrote:
arvy wrote:Yeah, Geiser sounds like something Tim Hecker would release, but then that beat comes in, wow
I really hope I can listen to it in better audio quality, Seward leaf when the beat also come in. Is amazing.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

Yeah, there's also a banger like Noatak, just asks to put it on high quality sound (for me it is really sound like BOC, Basefree vibes)

Dayvan Cowboy
I will say I don't think my life is not going to change if this turns out to be a bona-fide copy of Hooper Bay, it wasn't intended for the public way back in 1994 so this is the stance I will take.

Oh effing 'ell lads...

New Seed
Argh, of course a new discovery is refrained to someone recording with a...camcorder? In 2023? Is this 2008? Who doesn't have a cellphone these days?

I sure hope this is some elaborate troll from BoC as part of a new ARG or who knows what, because this is just ridiculous :lol:

The pristine condition of the record and Record Day coming up makes me hope there's a chance this thing is going to show up in shops in a couple days...

Posts Quantity
Kend_Wire wrote:In the past the biggest thing that's given away fakes to me is the production and I can't make a guess about that because of the way this is recorded (out of a hi-fi into a camcorder mic I guess).

I was thinking the same thing. They’re obscuring the music. Why after all these years would this be the way to share the record?

I just got keyed into this Hooper Bay upload a few minutes ago and I’m trying to catch up. I’m obviously skeptical, but I’m here for it.

Eagle Minded
I just want LP5

Posts Quantity
babylulu wrote:well. isn’t this something

https://youtu.be/AuiRl-fYJBs

As far as I can tell, this is the first post about this find. Babylulu, how did you come across this James Loughton upload?

Posts Quantity
every day i search Boards of Canada on Youtube and assort by date uploaded. nothing special, i do the same with Stereolab

Dayvan Cowboy
babylulu wrote:every day i search Boards of Canada on Youtube and assort by date uploaded. nothing special, i do the same with Stereolab

Lovely stuff, I do the same once in a while but sort it via week. I like to see what ma peeps are up to. The fan-made video playlist wastes a good wee hour. :D

Eagle Minded
I’m with you demo.

Posts Quantity
gonna be honest, i think this is legit early BoC

Posts Quantity
babylulu wrote:every day i search Boards of Canada on Youtube and assort by date uploaded. nothing special, i do the same with Stereolab

Thanks for the answer. Could you have been the first to find it? Do you recall if there were comments on the video by the time you got to it? I wonder what motivated the uploader…If James Loughton is legitimately a dude that has argued for years that he had this record with no one believing them, what caused them to act now?

If it’s a fake, uploading it on the anniversary of MHTRTC was a good way to have it be found, probably a handful of people like you searching for BOC videos by new today

Dayvan Cowboy
I just listened to the entire thing for the first time, and I gotta say, if this is fake then it's very convincing. Especially side B.
There's just something about those drum patterns.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada