strangest place to hear boc

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Never heard them played anywhere since i've been into them but a few weeks ago i was on the bus on the way to school and some uni student got on in a black Boards of Canada jumper, i felt like saying something but that would've probably just been weird.

Sherbet Head
El Camino wrote:Never heard them played anywhere since i've been into them but a few weeks ago i was on the bus on the way to school and some uni student got on in a black Boards of Canada jumper, i felt like saying something but that would've probably just been weird.

Are you kidding! If someone was wearing an article of BoC clothing, they would have to understand when you comment on it.
ImageImage

Eagle Minded
I heard a couple of BoC tracks in a Louis Theroux documentary about gang violence or something. That was pretty unexpected.

Eagle Minded
I have been waiting so long for them to play some BoC on the radio, but they never do :(

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:Can't believe I typed Music is maths. Music is MATH obviously!
Note to self ... think American..

Speaking of American pronunciations, I heard the XYZ Peel Session thing and noticed that one of the brothers pronounced it "zee". I then remembered that they were of course brought up in Canada.. but then again don't the Canadians pronounce it "zed". I remember this specifically because Weird Al Yankovic made fun of it in a song.
Saw a blind man walking down the street
Greets every person he chanced to meet
Saw a cop write a ticket to a man over fifty
Fell over laughing screaming he was a hippie
Ran into a granny had a smile on her face
Broke a trophy she just won in a race

Don't worry about the future
Forget about the past
Whether it's good or bad
It's a gas

Sherbet Head
Just remembered hearing "Gyroscope" in some movie I watched a few months ago. Can't quite remember what the film was, something about a demon. Had a very BoC aesthetic to it, though; lot's of super 8-y footage and such.
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Sherbet Head
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Just remembered hearing "Gyroscope" in some movie I watched a few months ago. Can't quite remember what the film was, something about a demon. Had a very BoC aesthetic to it, though; lot's of super 8-y footage and such.

'Sinister'

Sherbet Head
MindElevation wrote:
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Just remembered hearing "Gyroscope" in some movie I watched a few months ago. Can't quite remember what the film was, something about a demon. Had a very BoC aesthetic to it, though; lot's of super 8-y footage and such.

'Sinister'

Bingo.
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Eagle Minded
Meddle wrote:

Speaking of American pronunciations, I heard the XYZ Peel Session thing and noticed that one of the brothers pronounced it "zee". I then remembered that they were of course brought up in Canada.. but then again don't the Canadians pronounce it "zed". I remember this specifically because Weird Al Yankovic made fun of it in a song.

The pronunciation is to match the american "X, Y, Z" sample used in the track - another one sourced from Sesame Street, I believe? That would explain it.

Sherbet Head
Meddle wrote:

Canadians say zed and use British spelling most of the time. I wonder how they say "turquoise", isn't the U.S. pronunciation different than the U.K. one? I'm only basing this off the Wicker Man, which to be fair I base a lot of my ideas in life off of.

Sherbet Head
rainier wrote:
Meddle wrote:

Canadians say zed and use British spelling most of the time. I wonder how they say "turquoise", isn't the U.S. pronunciation different than the U.K. one? I'm only basing this off the Wicker Man, which to be fair I base a lot of my ideas in life off of.

Wait... we say turquoise differently? Not everyone says turk-oyz?

Eagle Minded
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Wait... we say turquoise differently? Not everyone says turk-oyz?

Not sure - I actually say it the same...

Sherbet Head
Betacord wrote:
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Wait... we say turquoise differently? Not everyone says turk-oyz?

Not sure - I actually say it the same...

Yeah, I was thinking it was the same regardless of dialect/accent. I'm quite the closeted anglophile (well, not 'closeted' any more, I suppose...) and through all the UK TV, films, radio, etc I've seen I've never heard that word pronounced unusually. Then again, it's not exactly a common word to say.

Sherbet Head
Well, it's a French word, and they pronounce it "tur-kwaz" which is how it was pronounced in the Wicker Man.

On topic, I've only ever heard BoC on NPR and once a long time ago I heard 1969 in a bumper for a late night electronic music show. Once at a shitty rave I heard someone mention loving them though and I hightailed it over to him to start a conversation and ended up spending the night wandering around Seattle singing Trapped and Midas Touch with him. We were really really high, it was fun.

Sherbet Head
Yellow Records wrote:
El Camino wrote:Never heard them played anywhere since i've been into them but a few weeks ago i was on the bus on the way to school and some uni student got on in a black Boards of Canada jumper, i felt like saying something but that would've probably just been weird.

Are you kidding! If someone was wearing an article of BoC clothing, they would have to understand when you comment on it.

i agree, if i saw someone in boards of canada clothing i would have to go up to them and talk about it.

i usually approach people whenever i see someone wearing an article of clothing representing a band i like.

Posts Quantity
Headphase wrote:I have been waiting so long for them to play some BoC on the radio, but they never do :(
They get played occasionally on 6music. Not nearly often enough, mind you. Mainly Roygbiv, but Aquarius made an appearance the other week. I'm still amazed part of the code sequence was played on radio 1 in the first instance to be perfectly honest.

That aside, I heard Wildlife Analysis played in the background on a podcast before. I think it was Radiolab.

Sherbet Head
I love 'look around you'. I totally forgot about that.

Posts Quantity
Here in Wales we pronounce it "Turk woyce"

As for strange places to hear boc...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22556987

Clicked on this earlier this morning :) Pleasant surprise.

Eagle Minded
seanandcandy wrote:can't remember if i posted in this thread already but for the Australians on this forum they played Dayvan Cowboy during a Geelong Cats promo for Grand Final in 2011

as a huge geelong supporter i was incredibly emotional

Cool! How did I miss that eventful grand final as well.

Sherbet Head
Cool! How did I miss that eventful grand final as well.

it was the most surreal thing that's ever happened to me. standing around waiting for geelong to belt the shit out of collingwood and next thing dayvan cowboy is playing over geelong players running around and chris scott talking wayyyyyyyyy too much emotion that day
*farts*

idk

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada