13. Nothing Is Real (3:52)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
See, I don't think it's like ROYGBIV at all. Maybe ROYGBIV's sad brother, as someone else stated...

This track actually made me cry today. It was playing in my car as I was going past downtown and I could see the polluted smog drifting overhead. It looked a lot like the album title actually.
It was so thick it blocked the sunlight.

As I saw all the billboards and advertising for all of this materialistic crap that we don't need but waste money and time on. Signs with Niki Minaj and Kanye West on them... All of this fake garbage... the track really started to hit me.

Nothing is real.

I just couldn't think of anything else to do but break down.

Then in the track I heard birds chirping, it's somewhere near the end, when that higher pitched synth kicks in... if you listen carefully there are birds chirping... It was absolutely perfect.
I dried my tears and remembered that some things are still real.
Last edited by In_The_Annexe on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you don't care to hear until you listen

Happy Cycler
This song made this one of the greatest days I've ever had. The weather was perfect, and that little melody kept floating around in my head during the later evening hours.

Nothing Is Real has everything I love about a BoC track. Not only one of the top tracks (if not THE TOP track) on the album, but one of the best songs they have ever done.

Boqurant
In_The_Annexe wrote:See, I don't think it's like ROYGBIV at all. Maybe ROYGBIV's sad brother, as someone else stated...

This track actually made me cry today. It was playing in my car as I was going past downtown and I could see the polluted smog drifting overhead. It looked a lot like the album title actually.

As I saw all the billboards and advertising for all of this materialistic crap that we don't need but waste money and time on. Signs with Niki Minaj and Kanye West on them... All of this fake garbage... the track really started to hit me.

Nothing is real.

Then in the track I heard birds chirping, it's somewhere near the end, when that higher pitched synth kicks in... if you listen carefully there are birds chirping... It was absolutely perfect.
I dried my tears and remember that some things are still real.

:lol:

Thank Christ the album's out, I can put reading the sappy drivel this forum peddles in behind me!

Eagle Minded
paultomba wrote:
In_The_Annexe wrote:See, I don't think it's like ROYGBIV at all. Maybe ROYGBIV's sad brother, as someone else stated...

Nothing is real.

:lol:

Thank Christ the album's out, I can put reading the sappy drivel this forum peddles in behind me!

nope, thank mike and marcus.

nothing wrong with posting a powerful experience that I felt from my favorite band. take it however you want and check out the track yourself, hopefully it's not too "sappy" for you.
you don't care to hear until you listen

Eagle Minded
Am I alone in drawing the similarity in style between this beat and the main beat of An Eagle In Your Mind?

If I'm going mad, yous better had tell me, folks...

Nothing is real.

Bless you sir - I'm guessing there are quite few people who haven't at some point heard a song that resonates with them at a particular moment... If music never made anyone really feel anything, would there be any use for it?

Posts Quantity
My favorites keep on changing...
Today it's this one.
Very very nostalgic and ecstatic feel...

New Seed
sounds to me like 'justice is unity, to fight unkindly with my greed, promises turned to life, when i knew it was that way, remembering look at that un we will see good there'

however the last part sounded a bit warped up to me. that was my interpretation of it at that time, however im sure its multilayered so it could mean anything

Friendly Stranger
fakejameh wrote:sounds to me like 'justice is unity, to fight unkindly with my greed, promises turned to life, when i knew it was that way, remembering look at that un we will see good there'

however the last part sounded a bit warped up to me. that was my interpretation of it at that time, however im sure its multilayered so it could mean anything

I think that's pretty damn close! It sounds like the voice has been layered then sped up and slowed down at different points which makes it hard to decipher.

It fits the song perfectly though, I really like this little bit. In fact the track in general is absolutely amazing.

Posts Quantity
this song means so much to me already...and its only been a couple days

Eagle Minded
Most of the vocal seems fragmented to me. Not too much agreement on anything yet, so I'll chip in just for fun...

The only line I I hear clearly is the 1st one:

"Jesus was a human being" - I'd bet on this being right, actually

But as nothing else stands out, some of them others could be spliced / edited to make obscure sentences, but again, I don't know for sure. Fragments I get:

2nd line ends in "...unkindly (of/with) my greed"

3rd line - no idea!

4th line sounds as " (__) really was not right"

5th line sounds as "(__) you knew what I'd need was really the summer(?) of comfort there..."

Any of that check out with what others have got? That's my ears' two pence worth for now :lol:

Eagle Minded
Betacord wrote:Most of the vocal seems fragmented to me. Not too much agreement on anything yet, so I'll chip in just for fun...

The only line I I hear clearly is the 1st one:

"Jesus was a human being" - I'd bet on this being right, actually

But as nothing else stands out, some of them others could be spliced / edited to make obscure sentences, but again, I don't know for sure. Fragments I get:

2nd line ends in "...unkindly (of/with) my greed"

3rd line - no idea!

4th line sounds as " (__) really was not right"

5th line sounds as "(__) you knew what I'd need was really the summer(?) of comfort there..."

Any of that check out with what others have got? That's my ears' two pence worth for now :lol:

I Definitely hear 'comfort' in the 5th line, and 'Jesus' in the first.
The second line seems to be the most garbled to me.
The whole thing sounds like Garrison Keillor reading bible passages.

New Seed
I hear:

"Jesus was as you indeed"

"to fault unkindly with my greed"

"promises eternal life"

"when you knew it was not right"

"when you knew that what i'd need was really solid comfort there"

Boqurant
Best Emotronica Eva

Dayvan Cowboy
ssi wrote:I hear:

"Jesus was as you indeed"

"to fault unkindly with my greed"

"promises eternal life"

"when you knew it was not right"

"when you knew that what i'd need was really solid comfort there"

Was going to post this lol
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Dayvan Cowboy
honeypower wrote:
Moloch wrote:Best song off the album imo. Makes me remember why I fell in love with the band in the first place.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Friendly Stranger
I really loved the sound of this track(it is in fact one of my favorites) but judging by the lyrics, this seems to be anti-religious. That worries me, for I am a Christian.

Posts Quantity
Moloch wrote:Best song off the album imo. Makes me remember why I fell in love with the band in the first place.

Agree, up there with my favourites on the album. Has hints of 'Roygbiv' for me. Beautiful, catchy melody, gorgeous chord change at 54s - I suppose my only criticism is that it's slightly meandering, would maybe have liked the beat to fully kick in at some point. Having said that, I still love it as it is.

Posts Quantity
Yeah, definitely a sibling of Roygbiv.

Both tracks are going for the same kind of emotions in the listener.

Sherbet Head
3-bar loop.

Maybe too obvious to some, but no-one else said it. The loop is 3 bars long.

And it could be cut out of something longer or more complete so it makes sense...

Sherbet Head
DudeMannerisms wrote:I really loved the sound of this track(it is in fact one of my favorites) but judging by the lyrics, this seems to be anti-religious. That worries me, for I am a Christian.

i don't think i've ever laughed at anything so hard on this website before thank you
thank you forever
*farts*

idk

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada