Sometimes - Sexual Objects / Boards remix

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
When I found it there was only 50 views! Should really have posted the original article.

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/new-mu ... x-premiere

Sherbet Head
So great to hear some old trade mark sounds returning to the mix as well as continuing the poly-ambient theme from TH. The confrimation there will be more and it will be feckin' sweet.

Eagle Minded
I feel more Campfire Headphase vibes from this than anything else, especially with the drums- the good positive vibes, etc.

Lol this would be one of those tracks when i was like 15 or 16 with my friends so excited to play for them "HEY GUYS SERIOUSLY, WAIT FOR THIS BREAK DOWN ITS GONNA BLOW UR MIND!@" *patiently listens staring at friends hoping their mind is blown too*.

Posts Quantity
The intro is gorgeous and mesmerizing, but it drops down a notch for me when the drums and vocals kick in, since the percussion feels a little basic by their standards and the vocals remind you that "oh right this is a remix for someone else" (which yes I realize is not a valid criticism for a remix.) And I guess the drums do suit the track in a way. But much like a lot of their more recent stuff, this has the "oh is it done already?" feeling that the "Sisters" remix (and several tracks on Tomorrow's Harvest) had. Their sense of pacing was definitely better in their earlier work. They should take a cue from David Lynch and just allow things to span time, uninterrupted.

I do think, though, this is better than "Mr. Mistake" and "Sisters" (as good as those two are.) And as always its best to reserve final judgement until we hear something a little better than a 480p youtube video . . .

Friendly Stranger
Lovely little remix, that synth intro is so nostalgic. I felt the buildup transition could have been stretched out a little longer though, but I'm just glad to have some new Boards of Canada to add to the collection. Bring on the new album already!

Sherbet Head
fair summation, first half is tip top, again super happy to have them in the light again

breadmaker wrote:The intro is gorgeous and mesmerizing, but it drops down a notch for me when the drums and vocals kick in, since the percussion feels a little basic by their standards and the vocals remind you that "oh right this is a remix for someone else" (which yes I realize is not a valid criticism for a remix.) And I guess the drums do suit the track in a way. But much like a lot of their more recent stuff, this has the "oh is it done already?" feeling that the "Sisters" remix (and several tracks on Tomorrow's Harvest) had. Their sense of pacing was definitely better in their earlier work. They should take a cue from David Lynch and just allow things to span time, uninterrupted.

I do think, though, this is better than "Mr. Mistake" and "Sisters" (as good as those two are.) And as always its best to reserve final judgement until we hear something a little better than a 480p youtube video . . .

Posts Quantity
I think my favorite bit is the voice that I think says "okay?" at 2:17 (in the video, 1:48ish in the song itself.) A wonderful, unexpected moment.

Sherbet Head
it may be a good indicator of intent, certainly the last few remixes hark back to their more peaceful moments

hard to know with them. I doubt the next album will be as downtrodden/bleak as TH

Sherbet Head
Crossing my fingers for an instrumental version.

Sherbet Head
I could really use some new happy BoC in my life right now, things have been kinda rough, this helped. Found myself grinning like a fool halfway through.

And seconded for instrumental. I like these vocals more than mr mistake, but holy shit that instrumental was insane.
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Posts Quantity
with this new remix, they've got enough now to fill up a CD length compilation of remixes (if you include both "mr. mistake" and "poppy seed" mixes) with about four or five minutes to spare for something previously unreleased. It would be nice to have all the remixes remastered and in one place, especially since many of them are every bit as good as what ends up on their proper albums but seem destined to get lost/overlooked as the original formats become more scarce. Not to mention that the amazing Michael Fakesch mix exists only (well, digitally anyway) as a 210 kbps VBR mp3. Sadly a remix compilation seems pretty off-brand for them so it probably won't happen but I guess you never know . . .

Friendly Stranger
If this and the Nevermen instrumental are any indication, we could be getting the "summer" to Tomorrow Harvest's "winter" on the next LP. Something more alien sounding than The Campfire Headphase though.

Also, I wouldn't mind a puppet tour either.

Posts Quantity
zeoevil wrote:Crossing my fingers for an instrumental version.

wow is that pretty...and x2 on that wish

Really great song! Could've been two minutes longer...

Telepath
How lovely!

Dayvan Cowboy
Good stuff, love it.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Sherbet Head
First listen I already loved it!
HoodedFreak on Youtube
Interface on WATMM

Sherbet Head
This is a great BOCcy soup of a mix. It's got everything. Gorgeous sweeping intro chords, what feels like a callback to the Trails loop, a whole mess of random but familiar textures (with bonus flute), that 'You okay?' sample - a real neck tingle moment - and that build-up which promises a Seven Forty Seven cacophony of an ending but dissipates gorgeously into static.

Yeah. Loved that.

Boqurant
Lovely remix, gorgeous warm and fuzzy synth sounds! I also really like the vocals on this one actually compared Mr. Mistake, which also was quite good with the vocals, but the vocals, synths, percussions etc all comes together quite nice here on Sometimes.

Also If guys want to pre-order the Sometimes Remix EP with the BoC remix on it you can from one of the various record shops they've listed. I already pre-ordered mine from Rough Trade.

https://assai-records.myshopify.com/pro ... ts-wavne-2

https://www.undergroundsolushn.com/musi ... mixes.html

https://www.roughtrade.com/music/someti ... ne-remixes

Just to list a few.

Sherbet Head
Kure wrote:
Also If guys want to pre-order the Sometimes Remix EP with the BoC remix on it you can from one of the various record shops they've listed. I already pre-ordered mine from Rough Trade.

Ta for that. Just pre-ordered mine from RTE.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada