Favorite to Least Favorite BoC releases?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Nautilus wrote:
The Devil Is In the Details / A is to B as B is to C - ummm :shock: hard to explain, just makes me feel like I'm in hell or something or I'm being burned alive idk. really dark and kind of the reason why I don't listen to Geogaddi when I'm alone at night

That's exactly why I love Geogaddi!

Lol @ your Magic Window explanation. :mrgreen:

Eagle Minded
Nautilus wrote:Ok my reply will probably be a bit abrasive so shield your eyes, fellow twoismers 8)

Spoiler: show
I like a lot of the tracks on MHTRTC and Geogaddi, it's just that more than a few of the songs on those albums are just too much for me/my ears to bear.

specifically, on MHTRTC, the songs I just can't get behind are Telephasic Workshop, Sixtyten, Rue the Whirl, and Pete Standing Alone.

Telephasic Workshop - the Cold-Earth-esque noises coming from the guy's mouth sound like he's vomiting twice every second for six minutes straight.
Sixtyten + Pete Standing Alone - to me, these both are the aural equivalent of getting whipped. if I lower the volume, I can't hear it, but if I turn it up even a slight bit it feels like this person's slapping me in my ear.
Rue the Whirl - pretty straightforward, the tune is repetitive and just when I think there's this big shift in the rhythm it just keeps hammering away at my patience

gripes on Geogaddi -

Gyroscope / Alpha and Omega / The Beach at Redpoint - see Rue the Whirl and Sixtyten + Pete Standing Alone
Opening the Mouth - just really hard to concentrate on the track
The Devil Is In the Details / A is to B as B is to C - ummm :shock: hard to explain, just makes me feel like I'm in hell or something or I'm being burned alive idk. really dark and kind of the reason why I don't listen to Geogaddi when I'm alone at night
Dawn Chorus - see Sixtyten + Pete Standing Alone
You Could Feel the Sky - sounds like velcro and idk why but I really don't like the sound of velcro. kind of like when you get annoyed at fingernails on a chalkboard
Magic Window - too loud, I kind of feel like there's this freaking storm with hail and lightning and its ripping my brain out of my skull and it takes so long to end and you cant even tell when it will end

hope you didn't click on that :shock:
curiouser and curiouser. how old are you?

Boqurant
I reserve the right to that information, kind sir. what tipped you off?
nautilus | member of the orange collective

Dayvan Cowboy
Nautilus wrote:I reserve the right to that information, kind sir. what tipped you off?

Those are "iconic" albums - you know, a word increasingly pushed by a society that is out of new ideas and with no other option left but to idolize an idealized past.

Boqurant
Opothecary wrote:Those are "iconic" albums - you know, a word increasingly pushed by a society that is out of new ideas and with no other option left but to idolize an idealized past.

I don't quite know what your point is here

Sherbet Head
Nautilus wrote:Ok my reply will probably be a bit abrasive so shield your eyes, fellow twoismers 8)

Spoiler: show
I like a lot of the tracks on MHTRTC and Geogaddi, it's just that more than a few of the songs on those albums are just too much for me/my ears to bear.

specifically, on MHTRTC, the songs I just can't get behind are Telephasic Workshop, Sixtyten, Rue the Whirl, and Pete Standing Alone.

Telephasic Workshop - the Cold-Earth-esque noises coming from the guy's mouth sound like he's vomiting twice every second for six minutes straight.
Sixtyten + Pete Standing Alone - to me, these both are the aural equivalent of getting whipped. if I lower the volume, I can't hear it, but if I turn it up even a slight bit it feels like this person's slapping me in my ear.
Rue the Whirl - pretty straightforward, the tune is repetitive and just when I think there's this big shift in the rhythm it just keeps hammering away at my patience

gripes on Geogaddi -

Gyroscope / Alpha and Omega / The Beach at Redpoint - see Rue the Whirl and Sixtyten + Pete Standing Alone
Opening the Mouth - just really hard to concentrate on the track
Dawn Chorus - see Sixtyten + Pete Standing Alone
You Could Feel the Sky - sounds like velcro and idk why but I really don't like the sound of velcro. kind of like when you get annoyed at fingernails on a chalkboard
Magic Window - too loud, I kind of feel like there's this freaking storm with hail and lightning and its ripping my brain out of my skull and it takes so long to end and you cant even tell when it will end

hope you didn't click on that :shock:

Have you tried the live version of Telephasic Workshop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qKLKRRIoU
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Boqurant
Flory wrote:Have you tried the live version of Telephasic Workshop?

That sounds way better! Too bad there’s no download site :(

New Seed
Nautilus wrote:
Flory wrote:Have you tried the live version of Telephasic Workshop?

That sounds way better! Too bad there’s no download site :(
https://onlinevideoconverter.com

Just make sure to use an ad blocker

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
(5). In a beautiful place out in the country.
I'll start with an EP. Only 4 tracks, but incredibly well put together in a short vintage boc session. Every track have a distinct vibe, but at the same time compliment each other. And Kid for today is probably one of the most beatifull pieces boc ever put out. This is what I was hoping boc would come out to follow the release of Tomorrow's Harvest. Very different listening compared to Trans Canada Highway and very good record.

(4). The campfire headphase.
To no suprise, how this record still divide fanbase between people obviuosly enjoying this record for what it is and others who feeling a bit hit and miss. I personally had the longest time from all main boc records to get in to this record. Once it finally get to you, you really start to appreciate the simple nature of this record. Even the most showoff tracks like Dayvan Cowboy have this calm vibe to it. The only problem if you want to introduce someone to boc, or didn't listen to them for more, than a year, this record takes the longest to appreciate their music.

(3). Music has the right to children.
I must say, this sound contoversial, even to me. But, unfortunately this record is just to distant historicaly for me, to fully connect to it. But if you walk out from the boundaries of your personal experience, this is the best Boards of Canada record, hands down.

(2). Geogaddi.
First record which introduced me to Boards of canada, musically and thematically. (Unfortunately, like MHTRTC, this album is just too distant, for me able go hand in hand with some of its themes. You just doomed to hit that wall of past and missing culture, every time I put this record on. This train is just gone for me. But I must say, this record still sound incerdibly cryptic and msyterious, it is just not willing to share the answers, or even ask questions. Unless you will take me back in time, and introduce me to boc when I was a 15 year old.

(1). Tomorrow’s Harvest.
Well, after 8 years, I can confirm, this is my favorite Boards of Canada record. Just happened, that I was abble to follow it from the beginning to the end. And it still cary that emotional weight. This record is emototianlly charged and really connects with me. Despite, the cinematic flow and the themes on this album, are the strongest part of this record, in my opinion it has some of the most engaging pieces boc ever put. Like I just said before, TCH being the record which requires the most time to get in to boc mode, TH is the complete opposite. Tracks are usually very direct, with clear beginning and end. The vastness of some synths of these tracks really help you to open up and some of the arpeggios feel both organic and mechanical. And like Geogaddi this album still feels very mysterious and perfect to question some of the themes presented here.

Dayvan Cowboy
1. Geogaddi
2. Tomorrow's Harvest
3. BOC Maxima
4. MHTRTC
5. IABPOITC
6. The Campfire Headphase
7. R35TT
8. Old Tunes Vol. 2
9. A Few Old Tunes
10. Twoism
11. Trans Canada Highway
12. Hi Scores
13. Peel Sessions

I love them all for what they are; the EPs tend to be lower on the list because there's just less material there, which makes it hard for them to compete with the comprehensive narratives presented by their studio albums (with the exception of In A Beautiful Place..., which is a defining landmark of their discography).

Other than that the main takeaways are that I think Geogaddi and Tomorrow's Harvest are their two greatest works in terms of depth, detail, narrative, and composition, with Geogaddi edging out TH just a little bit in personal preference (probably because Geogaddi was my introduction to BOC), and that R35TT is my favorite of the three Old Tunes compilations.

Boqurant
1.) The Campfire Headphase
2.) IABPOITC
3.) Tomorrow’s Harvest
4.) MHTRTC
5.) Twoism
6.) Geogaddi
7.) Old Tunes Vol. 2
8.) R35TT
9.) AFOT
10.) Hi Scores
11.) Trans Canada Highway
12.) Boc Maxima
13.) Peel Session

Based purely on overall enjoyment.

Boqurant
1.) Geogaddi / it works beautifully as an album.
2.) MHTRTC / my favourite type of boc's music is on this album, but geogaddi works better as an album.
3.) A Few Old Tunes / their best early work, some tracks (5.9.78 in particular) are fucking amazing
4.) Campfire Headphase / god i love the atmosphere on this.
5.) Twoism / oirectine is so good, i love the cold feeling of this album.
6.) IABPOITC / every track is sublime on this EXCEPT zoetrope.
7.) R35TT / mysterious delightful compilation
8.) BoC Maxima / even tho most of the tracks are re-used, the re-ordering of the tracks make for a completely different feel and i love that.
9.) Old Tunes Vol. 2 / it's super early and more interesting than anything else but still good.
10.) Hi Scores / Hi Scores, Nlogax, EYDIAB, and June 9th are great but the artwork is kinda boring.
11.) Trans Canada Highway / heard from telegraph lines is one of my fav boc songs but everything else is just okay. the odd nosdam remix sucks imo.
12.) Tomorrow's Harvest / a few good tracks but i'm not really the biggest fan of it.
13.) Peel Session / nothing special and i don't really like XYZ.

Dayvan Cowboy
1. Poppy Seed Reprise: ROYGBIV part 2, and how I discovered BOC. The best hotel waiting room music ever.
2. Poppy Seed: Extremely dark and foreboding and a prelude to Geogaddi. Makes me think of a dark forest before you discover the underground hell of Geo
3. Broken Drum: BOC took a pretty dull song from Beck and elevated it into a beautiful masterpiece. The synth line between verses encapsulates the beauty and sadness of BOC
4. Sandsings: They took Mira's odd vocal track and turned it into a enigmatic groove. I love the vase breaking percussion and that synth riff is so mysterious.
5. Surfaise: This is the OG Aquarius. The definition of chillout track in my book.
6. Sometimes: "You okay?" A comforting hand on our shoulders with a truly spacy astral intro and a crescendo worthy of Davyan Cowboy
7. Treat Em Right: The newest track hooked me in from the start. A homage to old school hip-hop and their own roots of Music Has The Right To Children
8. Prime Audio Soup: Took a bit to grow on me with it's synthetic bassline, but it keeps adding enough stuff by the end to make it a truly fascinating hodgepodge
9. Mr. Mistake: Tomorrow's Harvest outtake, but as a pop song. Great lyrics about a nuclear winter
10. Last Walk Around Mirror Lake: Works as a prelude between Geogaddi and Headphase. Headphase guitars and Geo synths. Interesting drum track too
10. Sisters: Makes me think of a mystical temple in a JRPG, quite lovely for the specific image
11. Why?: The guy singing the lyrics is about as cool as Napoleon Dynamite's brother. The line about fucking the black and puerto rican girls and the stupid curse words are so cringy. That said, I dig BOC's work on it. Especially the jam at the end.
12. Dead Dogs Two: Catchy chorus but aside from the Beatles tribute at the end I don't remember much about their work on it
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:1. Poppy Seed Reprise: ROYGBIV part 2, and how I discovered BOC. The best hotel waiting room music ever.
2. Poppy Seed: Extremely dark and foreboding and a prelude to Geogaddi. Makes me think of a dark forest before you discover the underground hell of Geo
3. Broken Drum: BOC took a pretty dull song from Beck and elevated it into a beautiful masterpiece. The synth line between verses encapsulates the beauty and sadness of BOC
4. Sandsings: They took Mira's odd vocal track and turned it into a enigmatic groove. I love the vase breaking percussion and that synth riff is so mysterious.
5. Surfaise: This is the OG Aquarius. The definition of chillout track in my book.
6. Sometimes: "You okay?" A comforting hand on our shoulders with a truly spacy astral intro and a crescendo worthy of Davyan Cowboy
7. Treat Em Right: The newest track hooked me in from the start. A homage to old school hip-hop and their own roots of Music Has The Right To Children
8. Prime Audio Soup: Took a bit to grow on me with it's synthetic bassline, but it keeps adding enough stuff by the end to make it a truly fascinating hodgepodge
9. Mr. Mistake: Tomorrow's Harvest outtake, but as a pop song. Great lyrics about a nuclear winter
10. Last Walk Around Mirror Lake: Works as a prelude between Geogaddi and Headphase. Headphase guitars and Geo synths. Interesting drum track too
10. Sisters: Makes me think of a mystical temple in a JRPG, quite lovely for the specific image
11. Why?: The guy singing the lyrics is about as cool as Napoleon Dynamite's brother. The line about fucking the black and puerto rican girls and the stupid curse words are so cringy. That said, I dig BOC's work on it. Especially the jam at the end.
12. Dead Dogs Two: Catchy chorus but aside from the Beatles tribute at the end I don't remember much about their work on it

Oh snap, I forgot Dirty Great Mabel, put that ahead of Prime Audio. I really like the weird mumblings on that track. It's completely bizarre and yet they get rhythmic after a while. Makes you wonder how many tabs of acid they ingested to build a track around them.

Eagle Minded
Sherbet Head wrote:Albums
1. Geogaddi
2. Tomorrow's Harvest
3. MHTRTC
4. Campfire Headphase

EPs
1. IABPOITC
2. Hi Scores
3. Trans Canada Highway
4. Twoism

Comps
1. Old Tunes Vol 1
2. Old Tunes Vol 2
3. R35TT

I think I'd swap IABPOITC and Hi Scores around now, but other than that, I'm pretty happy to see that I'd still stand by this exact ranking after a few years.

Kind of a bummer that I still can't update this with a new release, but hopefully one day we'll have a new addition for our lists!

Eagle Minded
It's kinda hard to choose because I like nearly all their different releases for different reasons

1. Geogaddi - psychedelic masterpiece, have listened to it on a few lsd and mushroom trips and it was fantastic

2. Tomorrow's Harvest - I'm obsessed with palindromic structures and the whole experience of the release and the timing made for some really good memories of summer camping trips etc.

3. MHTRTC - I mean it's just dope

4. TCHP - I love the textures and vignettes and guitar sounds on this record, the only thing I don't like is the last two or so songs, when it's over it feels like it didn't really go anywhere

5. Twoism - A bit more ambient and electronic but Sixtyten is the song that got me into them, it's special to me

6. IABPOITC - I dig the whole thing I just don't find myself listening to it as much as everything else

The rest of their catalogue I can't really list out, but I like it all. The only other thing I want to say is that the Peel Session version of Aquarius is so much better than the original, so I swap the track for my MHTRTC playlist

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:5. Twoism - A bit more ambient and electronic but Sixtyten is the song that got me into them, it's special to me

you mean Sixtyniner?

Sherbet Head
Everyone that knows me knows that I love the rare comps to bit. SO now that it's out of the way let's see if I can manage to rate the actual releases without arguing with myself too much.

1: REDACTED
2: Geogaddi
3: Tomorrow's Harvest
4: MHRTC
5: Twoism
6: The two Nevermen remix vocal included.
7: The Campfire Headphase
8: IABPOITC
9: Soc X / Honorable mention
10: Trans Canada Highway

It changes every year and recently TH is going up in places little by little. My love for REDACTED is immense and I can't wait for you guys to hear it.

On this note, I will be back when it is released. Have fun everyone and to the people of discord: Stay crazy and naughty :mrgreen:
i'M aLSo SerViNG tHEsTATpOW a wARnINg

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:Everyone that knows me knows that I love the rare comps to bit. SO now that it's out of the way let's see if I can manage to rate the actual releases without arguing with myself too much.

1: REDACTED
2: Geogaddi
3: Tomorrow's Harvest
4: MHRTC
5: Twoism
6: The two Nevermen remix vocal included.
7: The Campfire Headphase
8: IABPOITC
9: Soc X / Honorable mention
10: Trans Canada Highway

It changes every year and recently TH is going up in places little by little. My love for REDACTED is immense and I can't wait for you guys to hear it.

On this note, I will be back when it is released. Have fun everyone and to the people of discord: Stay crazy and naughty :mrgreen:

Honestly I'm quite fond of the Acid Memories on Youtube too. Kaini Industries is the best introduction into the world of unreleased BOC and once 1969 comes on, this album is solidified as my all time favorite early comp. It's a shame Warp never released it after endless promises from MDG over the years, but fortunately, some lucky bastard who's probably the bros' third cousin uploaded it for all of us to hear.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada