Sometimes - Sexual Objects / Boards remix

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
john fonda wrote:the boc remix has not been posted on many sites

guessing because the video was locked on youtube and because they haven't let people know themselves

I think they are trying to keep it intentionally very low key and un-promoted until at least after it's officially released. With such a small run and launch party, I think they realize that publicizing Boards' involvement would probably put it over the edge in terms of demand/interest vs availability.

Posts Quantity
I love it!

I wanna live in the intro,
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Posts Quantity
pre-orders sold out and all that

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sexual-Object ... ken=cUgayN

but theres still some copies up from this record shop! 7 available as of posting

15.99 GBP + shipping
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Eagle Minded

Posts Quantity

Dayvan Cowboy
Peacock Tail wrote:Download available here:

https://triassictusk.bandcamp.com/album/sometimes-remixes

Excellent - and my Mr. Mistake vinyl showed up today too.

Eagle Minded
Anyone else think that the piano melody sounds like The Foundations' Build Me Up Buttercup "I need you (I need you) more than anyone darling"?

Posts Quantity
Peacock Tail wrote:Anyone else think that the piano melody sounds like The Foundations' Build Me Up Buttercup "I need you (I need you) more than anyone darling"?

Yes!
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Posts Quantity
Peacock Tail wrote:Download available here:

https://triassictusk.bandcamp.com/album/sometimes-remixes

Thanks for this link.

Is it me or does the Andrew Weatherall dub seem cut off in a way that doesn't sound intentional?

Sherbet Head
breadmaker wrote:The intro is gorgeous and mesmerizing, but it drops down a notch for me when the drums and vocals kick in, since the percussion feels a little basic by their standards and the vocals remind you that "oh right this is a remix for someone else" (which yes I realize is not a valid criticism for a remix.) And I guess the drums do suit the track in a way. But much like a lot of their more recent stuff, this has the "oh is it done already?" feeling that the "Sisters" remix (and several tracks on Tomorrow's Harvest) had. Their sense of pacing was definitely better in their earlier work. They should take a cue from David Lynch and just allow things to span time, uninterrupted.

I do think, though, this is better than "Mr. Mistake" and "Sisters" (as good as those two are.) And as always its best to reserve final judgement until we hear something a little better than a 480p youtube video . . .

agreed. i really enjoyed the beginning synths of the track, the whole first minute in a half sounded magical, but as soon as it began building it got cheesy imo. the little piano riff that begins to add into the track is really cliche and the vocal samples used are just plain annoying.

the other remixes never really built into anything either, they started off sounded great and then just became blah. i honestly just haven't been really digging boc's new stuff anymore. its all become so boring.
Last edited by Fireal420 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
Peacock Tail wrote:Anyone else think that the piano melody sounds like The Foundations' Build Me Up Buttercup "I need you (I need you) more than anyone darling"?

i thought the exact same thing when i first heard it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Bought the track and just listened to it again on good headphones. The 2nd half of the song sounds like a live performance to me, the drums especially.

Sherbet Head
no one remixes like boc and that's the damn truth
*farts*

idk

Eagle Minded
Fireal420 wrote:the other remixes never really built into anything either, they started off sounded great and then just became blah. i honestly just haven't been really digging boc's new stuff anymore. its all become so boring.

Remixes are different interpretations of other people's material. Maybe one could argue the initial material sources aren't as strong as BOC?

Either way, the last 3 remixes are preferable to the originals by a long shot imo.

Also, they clearly remix to raise the profile of friends in the business and that's fair enough.

Can't help but think what a BOC remix would sound like if they had stronger vocal performances to work with though.

Wouldn't care if that was Beyonce, Guy Garvey, Ariana Grande, Thom Yorke, Liz Fraser...whatever.

Midas Touch, Slow Trapped and Broken Drum are my favourite remixes because the vocal tracks are more worthy.

Sherbet Head
Peacock Tail wrote:
Fireal420 wrote:the other remixes never really built into anything either, they started off sounded great and then just became blah. i honestly just haven't been really digging boc's new stuff anymore. its all become so boring.

Remixes are different interpretations of other people's material. Maybe one could argue the initial material sources aren't as strong as BOC?

thats a great and very valid point.

Posts Quantity
Fireal420 wrote:agreed. i really enjoyed the beginning synths of the track, the whole first minute in a half sounded magical, but as soon as it began building it got cheesy imo. the little piano riff that begins to add into the track is really cliche and the vocal samples used are just plain annoying.

the other remixes never really built into anything either, they started off sounded great and then just became blah. i honestly just haven't been really digging boc's new stuff anymore. its all become so boring.

I have a friend who's convinced that BOC have lost their edge over the last several years, and if I only had the recent remixes to go off of, I might be inclined to agree. There's several little choices in this new remix that rub me the wrong way, like the "ting!" triangle percussion, the drum fill leading up to the crescendo, and some other weirdly pedestrian moments that all seem like moves that "normal" music makes. Which of course would be fine for any other artist, but when you've already proven that you're capable of making something as startling and twisted as "sixtyten" then maybe you're going to disappoint a lot of people when you devolve into a trippy jam band for a few minutes. But maybe that's the opportunity these remixes for other artists provides - a kind of safe space (ie - not on one of their albums, therefor not subject to the same level of scrutiny) to experiment with more off-brand stuff. Because there's plenty of real ingenuity on Tomorrow's Harvest to reassure me that they've still got it.

Friendly Stranger
have a friend who's convinced that BOC have lost their edge over the last several years...

Your friend is making that point off of two remixes? I liked both remixes but BOC's remixes have always been hit or miss for people. Being a slave to your own brilliance has to be taxing on them at this point. RDJ seems to not give a fuck and put whatever random shit he wants to out. BOC has an insane amount of quality control. Tomorrow's Harvest is one of the best albums of all time, so I hope he his quote is not extending back that far.

Dayvan Cowboy
Speaking about the idea that BoC has "fallen off" or whatever, I think every amazing band really has something like a 7 year or so peak window where their success is 2 sided - there is consistency within the material and its a narrow enough window that most of the initial fanbase will stay on board throughout. It's something that was discussed a little bit around the release of TH.

To me when it comes to BoC, that era is 1995-2002 and in particular to narrow it down further, 1996-1998 they could basically do no wrong in my book.

At some point, a band has to evolve and the audience's tastes will change and evolve at the same time, and maybe in a different direction from the band they fell in love with initially. TCH was that album for me, TH was a major return to form - although I will agree it really didn't owe that much to their "golden years", it's still fantastic in its own way. There are of course people who feel the exact opposite of that.

I think in BoC's case, their insistence on musical world building on a per album basis ever since Geogaddi is their greatest strength and greatest weakness. If you love their latest direction, you're probably going to love it across the board, if it loses you, then it's REALLY lost you. It's a very polarizing (and brave) approach to making music where we're living in an environment where we have 10 other new albums to listen to at our fingertips if one doesn't grab us immediately.

I don't think many people here would treat new material from them that way, but that's the world that they're up against when not preaching to the converted, and their music has always rewarded patience and many relistens.

And to put a point on it, I don't think the remixes are any indicator of what they're up to and what they'll be releasing next. All 3 remixes over the past 2 years are very different animals from one another.

Posts Quantity
Oscillon wrote:
have a friend who's convinced that BOC have lost their edge over the last several years...

Your friend is making that point off of two remixes? I liked both remixes but BOC's remixes have always been hit or miss for people. Being a slave to your own brilliance has to be taxing on them at this point. RDJ seems to not give a fuck and put whatever random shit he wants to out. BOC has an insane amount of quality control. Tomorrow's Harvest is one of the best albums of all time, so I hope he his quote is not extending back that far.

Ha, no, this friend was also including Tomorrow's Harvest in that judgement. We disagree on that point as I do love that album, though I will conceded that their sense of pacing was better prior to their 2007-2012 hiatus. I also like "Sisters" considerably more than he does but again we both agree that its length doesn't do it any favours.

RDJ is an interesting comparison as he seems to be picking up steam as he gets older, not only in the amount of music being released but the intensity of it as well. Possibly because DJing is a big part of Aphex's work, so much of his new stuff is rhythm and body focused. BOC on the other hand seem to be moving in the opposite direction.

Sherbet Head
do you think fatherhood/age is altering their sound choices? taste changes with everyone, especially an artist

the other factor that I do not see mentioned is the sense of competition and hunger they must have had starting out

coming out of the blocks, more aggressive and confrontational

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada