Dad, look at the TV!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
To bring this thread back from the dead, I thought I'd post a video I found that syncs the video sample and the Apparatus tune.

Boards of Canada - Apparatus

And here's an awesome capture of that Hellraiser .MOD tune it samples being played back on a DOS program.

Hellraiser - Voyager

Sherbet Head
in the hellraiser video posted above..

what the hell is going on in the video. im not really a computer or music nerd, so i might need you guys to break it down into normal language.. but it all seems very interesting.

Sherbet Head
Each of the four, numbered groups of columns of characters is a track (hence tracker) on which sounds (samples) are being played. The sub-columns define notes, sample, velocity(loudness) and so on. As the columns scroll down the sounds on each row of the file are played at the same instant. The tracker program can only play one sound on each track at a time but you can switch which sample is to be played. So the fourth track is the drums: 06 kick; 05 snare. On other tracks tunes are played but sometimes if nothing is happening they drop in other drums.

I used to do all my stuff on Octomed on an Amiga 1200. As with most trackers it had four audio tracks. Two tracks came out on each of the 1200's stereo pair. It also had four MIDI chanels and on those tracks you could stack notes to make chords. Happy days!

Happy Cycler
BunnyRabbit wrote:Each of the four, numbered groups of columns of characters is a track (hence tracker) on which sounds (samples) are being played. The sub-columns define notes, sample, velocity(loudness) and so on. As the columns scroll down the sounds on each row of the file are played at the same instant. The tracker program can only play one sound on each track at a time but you can switch which sample is to be played. So the fourth track is the drums: 06 kick; 05 snare. On other tracks tunes are played but sometimes if nothing is happening they drop in other drums.

I used to do all my stuff on Octomed on an Amiga 1200. As with most trackers it had four audio tracks. Two tracks came out on each of the 1200's stereo pair. It also had four MIDI chanels and on those tracks you could stack notes to make chords. Happy days!

Nice to see this thread back from the dead. I still use Impulse Tracker to compose some of my stuff... although it doesn't work in DOS under XP so I have to use the Schism Tracker clone.

http://schismtracker.org/wiki/Schism%20Tracker

This track always intrigued me. If BoC just took some random track and put a movie sample over it, how much more of their stuff is composed like this? Have they themselves used trackers to make music? Are they in any way affiliated with the artist who composed this piece of music?

MDG?

Eagle Minded
at the end of Apparatus there's another sound that starts up and it sounds like a group of people talking with a crackling that i always assumed was a fire. campfire.. you know..

the hellraiser vid is pretty awesome.
MUSIC 70 IN THE HOUSE

Sherbet Head
well i have a few different thoughts on this whole thing. they may be way off, but they are just ideas.

one thought is that maybe the name hellraiser was actually the name the brothers used before coming up with hell's interface.

another idea, is exactly what somebody had stated earlier in this thread.

sevenELIXIR wrote:I listened to this in an altered state of mind with closed ear headphones... it felt like I was in a college dorm room with a computer game being played on one side of me and someone watching an old movie on the other side of me

maybe mike or marcus were tripping, and they heard the movie playing at the same time as the song, and decided to blend the two.

Dayvan Cowboy
The modarchive has the Hellraiser MOD being written by some Norwegian guy. It could be a fake name but it's probably more likely they just heard it somewhere.

Posts Quantity
so does this mean that boards DO in fact use computers to make their tunes? Didn't they say otherwise in an interview?

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada