Something strange just happened on the BoC Facebook page.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
thepastinsidepressant wrote:not sure if its from the same person's record, though i thought that youtube clip was
all the audio that it contained

I left my copy playing and there ended up being some kind of ambient track about halfway through it

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0guOT7CW8rz

Yeah I had a listen earlier, doesn't sound very BOCcish to me, compared to the micro-snippet before the numbers which was VERY BOC like.

YMMV

Dayvan Cowboy
Some people said the image was all over tumblr too, I did a quick tineye and google reverse image search and they both came up empty for the various images. Whatever it is, it's recent.

Friendly Stranger
Virbius wrote:I'm gonna try not to get too excited about this. Nothing's official yet (right?), and it could just be some asshole pulling some prank.

That music intro, the code numbers and the 6 symbology stuff. It has to be them.

Also the 15 anniversary of MHTRTC in 2013 (15 anniversary 1+5=6, 20th of April 2+0+4= 6, 2013 2+0+1+3=6 --- 666)

Sherbet Head
Those textures are too realistic to be a BoC fake, in my opinion...

Boqurant
The supposed vocaroo is actually Grant Cutler - Dreamer

https://soundcloud.com/innovadotmu/gran ... 04-dreamer

Sherbet Head
plasselb wrote:The supposed vocaroo is actually Grant Cutler - Dreamer

Someone's lying, now...

And this is very good, by the way.

Friendly Stranger
"The vinyl is obviously emulating a numbers station with the chime and robot voice reading the numbers. Only problem is, you need a one-time pad to decode the numbers from a numbers station."

Someone posted this on /mu/. Dunno what a one-time pad is, or if it makes any sense at all, just posting it here.
Everything I do is a balloon...

Eagle Minded
2020k wrote:The person who posted that is someone else, as the Reddit poster replied and said that his vinyl copy doesn't have an 8 minute ambient track (the Reddit poster also didn't know the 4chan thread existed). To my knowledge, it's just mu being mu. Good track regardless.

Vocaroo confirmed for nothing

Dayvan Cowboy
Virbius wrote:"The vinyl is obviously emulating a numbers station with the chime and robot voice reading the numbers. Only problem is, you need a one-time pad to decode the numbers from a numbers station."

Someone posted this on /mu/. Dunno what a one-time pad is, or if it makes any sense at all, just posting it here.

In cryptography, the one-time pad (OTP) is a type of encryption which has been proven to be impossible to crack if used correctly. Each bit or character from the plaintext is encrypted by a modular addition with a bit or character from a secret random key (or pad) of the same length as the plaintext, resulting in a ciphertext. If the key is truly random, as large as or greater than the plaintext, never reused in whole or part, and kept secret, the ciphertext will be impossible to decrypt or break without knowing the key.

Wikipedia is your friend, or if you read it, Cryptonomicon ;)

Dayvan Cowboy
Vostok wrote:
2020k wrote:The person who posted that is someone else, as the Reddit poster replied and said that his vinyl copy doesn't have an 8 minute ambient track (the Reddit poster also didn't know the 4chan thread existed). To my knowledge, it's just mu being mu. Good track regardless.

Vocaroo confirmed for nothing

I knew it didn't sound anything close to BOC, the little vinyl sample however does, reminiscent of much of BOCs work yet with some new subtleties. Yeah, I want to believe.

Eagle Minded
Just me, or does the tune sound like a short bit of riffing in the style of the very start of the vignette before EYDIAB?

If that was the idea, quite an early reference to go with.

Sherbet Head
I knew all this waiting would pay off. WE DID IT GUYS! I THINK IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!!!!

Posts Quantity
Virbius wrote:"The vinyl is obviously emulating a numbers station with the chime and robot voice reading the numbers. Only problem is, you need a one-time pad to decode the numbers from a numbers station."

Hey that was me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

Also, has anyone noticed that the opening synth note is very similar to that of the opening synth note on Everything You Do is a Balloon?

[edit] someone has already mentioned EYDIAB, so it's not just me!

Sherbet Head
Betacord wrote:Just me, or does the tune sound like a short bit of riffing in the style of the very start of the vignette before EYDIAB?

If that was the idea, quite an early reference to go with.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

Friendly Stranger
You think I might have a chance to find one in Montreal? Or would it be just huge cities, USA or Europe-wise?
Man, now I know what I'm gonna do all day, tomorrow.
Can't stop playing over and over again that snippet.... Do you guys hear the hissing noises in the background at the end of the voice sequence? Sounds like those cuts on Geo's "A is to B..."

Eagle Minded
1) Reddit account started today
2) Youtube account started today
3) The 'BoC' music is sampled from EYDIAB
4) All 'evidence' and announcement of multiple copies is speculative from the single Reddit post

This has all the trappings of some university kid's term paper experiment on the viral spread of information through the internet. Take it with a *giant* grain of salt until WARP confirms or denies. No reason to wet your panties yet.

You'd think we'd have learned to be careful with Reddit group-think discoveries after what happened this week related to the Boston Marathon bombings.

Posts Quantity
DeafJunkie88 wrote:You think I might have a chance to find one in Montreal? Or would it be just huge cities, USA or Europe-wise?
Man, now I know what I'm gonna do all day, tomorrow.
Can't stop playing over and over again that snippet.... Do you guys hear the hissing noises in the background at the end of the voice sequence? Sounds like those cuts on Geo's "A is to B..."

The guy who bought the one copy that we know about is from New York. Going by the six locations of the Geogaddi listening parties, I reckon the other five copies might have been available in London, Tokyo, Edinburgh, Paris and Berlin. Just my theory.

Eagle Minded
Bryan wrote:1) Reddit account started today
4) All 'evidence' and announcement of multiple copies is speculative from the single Reddit post

This has all the trappings of some university kid's term paper experiment on the viral spread of information through the internet. Take it with a *giant* grain of salt until WARP confirms or denies. No reason to wet your panties yet.

You'd think we'd have learned to be careful with Reddit group-think discoveries after what happened this week related to the Boston Marathon bombings.

I'm pretty sure 3) is not true... it sounds vaguely similar but I don't think it's actually sampled from EYDIAB.

Also it's worth noting that he's had the Twitter account for a while.
Last edited by egbdf on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Posts Quantity
Bryan wrote:1) Reddit account started today

1 & 2: This means absolutely nothing. Not everyone has Reddit and Youtube accounts. I don't have a Reddit account but if I'd picked up something like this, that'd be one of the first place I'd go to (and here of course).

3. No it's not.

4. Speculative it may be, but judging from the record cover, it would make sense that this is one copy of six.

I'm pretty sure this is an official BoC release. But you're right, until we see anything official from WARP we shouldn't just assume that this will lead to a new album. But hey, it's fun to speculate right? And I'd much rather take the optimistic rather than pessimistic approach.

Sherbet Head
Warp were pretty quick to release a statement about not knowing when the album would surface after the Facebook debacle of 2012 so you'd think they would jump on this pretty quickly given the nature of this
*farts*

idk

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada