Track Title analysis (/theme discussion)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
I always thought it was a reference to the NBC logo, I don't really know why.

Boqurant
Details of a peacock feather display traits of the golden ratio manifest in nature. The array of feathers is fractal in nature and the 'eye' of the feather shows the golden proportion.

Boqurant
Last edited by reflex17 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boqurant
double post my apologies

Posts Quantity
I’ve wondered if this has had anything to do with Julie and Candy for a while now.

Perhaps it was sampled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saw a blind man walking down the street
Greets every person he chanced to meet
Saw a cop write a ticket to a man over fifty
Fell over laughing screaming he was a hippie
Ran into a granny had a smile on her face
Broke a trophy she just won in a race

Don't worry about the future
Forget about the past
Whether it's good or bad
It's a gas

Eagle Minded
reflex17 wrote:Details of a peacock feather display traits of the golden ratio manifest in nature. The array of feathers is fractal in nature and the 'eye' of the feather shows the golden proportion.

This has always fascinated me as well. I used to be a snake breeder and some of the elaborate pattern displays blew me away. I always ponder how nature or some unseen force can “know” what colors and almost near perfect patterns to produce... the symmetry is mind boggling to me. I picture the song with funny dance displays with all of the different peacock tail colors and patterns and other animals with this golden ratio like butterflies and moths

Boqurant
Soul_Slip wrote:This has always fascinated me as well. I used to be a snake breeder and some of the elaborate pattern displays blew me away. I always ponder how nature or some unseen force can “know” what colors and almost near perfect patterns to produce... the symmetry is mind boggling to me. I picture the song with funny dance displays with all of the different peacock tail colors and patterns and other animals with this golden ratio like butterflies and moths

A few days ago I typed out a long response, but then I lost it when my internet went down randomly and my screen was replaced with the one that says 'no internet connection'

Suffice it to say I learned my lesson, copy and paste long posts into a txt file as a precaution maybe, hehe.

The essence of my post was talking about the patterns you describe, and how they are the most efficient way for nature to build complex forms out of simple ones. Pigments are mostly DNA mutation over time in response to environmental needs, or lack thereof. Fractals and patterns emerge when order and structure are manifest in a field of chaos. There's an interesting mathematical principle called 'self similarity' that describes much better than I can.

Each small segment of the fern leaf in nature displays the overall shape of the whole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-similarity

Eagle Minded
Ah yes, that is so fascinating to me. This talk also reminds me of some of the topics discussed in the Jurassic Park novel... mainly in conversations from Ian Malcolm. Do you have any links to the mathematics? I would be very interested to research if this can be deployed into music theory and creation.... as I wonder if BoC haven’t already incorporated this into their production some how. Some songs have in the past sounded like fractals upon fractals layered on each other and each one being a segment of the larger picture but also independent all on it’s own.

Boqurant
Soul_Slip wrote:Ah yes, that is so fascinating to me. This talk also reminds me of some of the topics discussed in the Jurassic Park novel... mainly in conversations from Ian Malcolm. Do you have any links to the mathematics? I would be very interested to research if this can be deployed into music theory and creation.... as I wonder if BoC haven’t already incorporated this into their production some how. Some songs have in the past sounded like fractals upon fractals layered on each other and each one being a segment of the larger picture but also independent all on it’s own.

Sadly I'm just an amateur so I don't have any specific links. I know what you mean though, I've always thought BoC has something that almost nobody else does. I'm sure they hit on these patterns, their entire body of work sounds like variations on a theme, to me. We all know certain samples appear in more than one song so it's like they have a toy chest of self-referencing sounds. They have said in interviews their process is to deliberately degrade the source material, bouncing the signal from output to input and back again so that interesting artifacts appear. Another thing that might be tough for us to discover is time-stretched samples and how they might be layered together.

Something I've noticed over time is BoC seem to have certain track times that keep appearing. More than one of their songs share durations like 1:17, 2:22 and 3:33. There seems to be a sweet spot in a song regardless of length. In the untitled BoC live track that machinedrum did a mix of you can hear a woman's voice come in and say 'one two three, and four' and there's also the 'crane call' in Kid for Today. These samples look to me, on the surface, to be a reference to time and the golden ratio, there is a highlight in the track at a specific time signature so as to mimic divine proportion. References to spirals are seen in their songs, it would appear like many of their timings have to do with a sort of critical mass that's hit where the song blooms into something more. I'm not a mathematician and I don't make music so this is all just speculation on my part.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada