May 22nd 24:00 @ 1-23-10 Jinnan Shibuya-ku Tokyo

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
I'm getting a The Shining opening credits / Blade Runner closing credits (they're the same thing) vibe from the aerial shots.

I'm tempering my excitement due to the low sound quality (although huge thanks to Jar for posting) but I am pleased that they seem to have returned programmed synthetic beats as opposed to the more organic/natural beats of Campfire.

Eagle Minded
i found this one to be the best. not too much db.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Gn2CXFsoE
MUSIC 70 IN THE HOUSE

Eagle Minded
The harmony was actually my favorite part of the track. It's in Eb minor, and I'm pretty sure it's:

i - v 6 - VI 7 - ii

So I'm gonna transpose to E Minor because I'm a guitarist so I can think in that key way easier. It's an E Minor, then B Minor in first inversion. I think you could argue that it can be heard as a VII sub 6 or something like that. Then a CMaj7, which goes to an F#m. The last chord I'm a bit unsure about.

But anyways, that move from CMaj7 to F#m, a tritone, is something that I haven't seen in BoC's music before. And I was impressed by how they used it. That's a progression I've seen more used in film scoring and soundtrack.

And then the oriental melody over it. I didn't even have to give this track a chance, I liked it right from the second I heard it.
Last edited by ArbitersGround on Wed May 22, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
thepastinsidepressant wrote:i've got the jist of this track, vague is enough. i'd rather not hear anymore until ALL of the album hits my ears in one wallop.

yeah I'm gonna give it one more listen and then call it a day until I get to hear it in the context of the album. I really love what I'm hearing though. Familiar but also something totally new. It's really hitting me now that we're really getting to hear a new album. I feel childishly grateful.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Eagle Minded
rainier wrote:
thepastinsidepressant wrote:i've got the jist of this track, vague is enough. i'd rather not hear anymore until ALL of the album hits my ears in one wallop.

yeah I'm gonna give it one more listen and then call it a day until I get to hear it in the context of the album. I really love what I'm hearing though. Familiar but also something totally new. It's really hitting me now that we're really getting to hear a new album. I feel childishly grateful.

i bet if the video gets an official youtube release by boc you'll give that puppy another listen.
MUSIC 70 IN THE HOUSE

Sherbet Head
The Uncut piece is up on the TH thread.... Album details included.

Eagle Minded
The song reminded me a little of Echus. A little underwhelming after a few listens, but we'll see how the album sounds.
I definitely get the apocalyptic abandoned vibe/theme they are going for. Reminds me of super 8 movies I made in my teens. I used some of these in a couple of my music videos, decades later.

Video for "Phantom Motel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2LpAwgip8

Video for "Cooties"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRR8iew-jB8

Friendly Stranger
I wonder if they've done visuals for every track and if there will be a future released on DVD or download.

Dayvan Cowboy
Synthetrix wrote:The song reminded me a little of Echus. A little underwhelming after a few listens, but we'll see how the album sounds.
I definitely get the apocalyptic abandoned vibe/theme they are going for. Reminds me of super 8 movies I made in my teens. I used some of these in a couple of my music videos, decades later.

Video for "Phantom Motel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2LpAwgip8

Video for "Cooties"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRR8iew-jB8

great...already casting judgement...on a shitty low quality video yet.
never happy with anything...and now even before its come out.

Posts Quantity
Were not you all surprised by the male voice sounding in the background? It was like a male choir singing deeply. It sounded even sacred and it is there, in the background, all the time, in solemnity.

I guess we were listening to Reach for the Dead.

Boqurant
m_thomp wrote:I'm getting a The Shining opening credits / Blade Runner closing credits (they're the same thing) vibe from the aerial shots.

also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ZtS7Emado
Last edited by PorridgeGun on Wed May 22, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eagle Minded
The Spaniard wrote:Were not you all surprised by the male voice sounding in the background? It was like a male choir singing deeply. It sounded even sacred and it is there, in the background, all the time, in solemnity.

yes i definitely heard a choral sound, made me think of 747 with the repeating vocal motif. eastern european almost

Eagle Minded
The Spaniard wrote:Were not you all surprised by the male voice sounding in the background? It was like a male choir singing deeply. It sounded even sacred and it is there, in the background, all the time, in solemnity.

Yes. The track length seems right.

Posts Quantity
Synthetrix wrote:

Yes. The track length seems right.

Yes, and the deep voices fits with the title.

Eagle Minded
Koyaanisqatsi also comes to mind.

Posts Quantity
But the drone/dark ambient song of Tomorrow's Harvest transmission is not similar to this one at all, right?

They have like two completely different sounds.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:But the drone/dark ambient song of Tomorrow's Harvest transmission is not similar to this one at all, right?

They have like two completely different sounds.

Musically, in the composition and the harmonies I can see similitude, but that is just Me, someone pointed out that the transmission might be a slowed down version of something

Posts Quantity
reminded me of the new school Black Dog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux4pWBztkdg

Sherbet Head
i promised myself i wouldnt listen to any leaks of the new album or anything like that until it is here.

but it seemed as though this was meant for us to hear. since they went out of their way to play it in japan, and announce it publicly 2 days in advance.

so, i watched the video. and again was left speechless. the song hints more that this album is going to be very sad. the recording isnt the greatest quality. yet you can still hear just how layered and meaningful the track sounds.

i think the visuals did a great job conveying the sounds i heard from the music. i think the video was done extremely well.

Eagle Minded
You guys think they'll post an official version?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada