02. Reach For The Dead (4:47)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Spirit Fingers wrote:
qualia wrote:
Spirit Fingers wrote:very very important question here everyone, prepare yourselves.

should I scrobble this as album name 'Reach For the Dead', or put it under 'Tomorrow's Harvest'?

take your time, don't rush this.

i'd say leave the tags intact as they are official... wait until you have the full album to scrobble as TH

But then if if I play this 100+ times between now and the album then that's -100 plays for TH and the whole thing get's skewed!
I am a pathetic husk of a man.

heh! no worries, i am also very conscientious about this type of thing. i like having things tagged properly!

but it is almost always the case (at least in last.fm etiquette) that you should use official tags first, with the exceptions being things like typos or incorrect capitalization. theoretically the just-released MP3 of "Reach For The Dead" won't be bit-for-bit identical to the official album version, so think about it that way if it helps!

Eagle Minded
wow, just wow. i mean...wow

im at a lost for words here. so beautiful and yet sinister undertones.

it sounds like something that could have been used in a documentary about chernobyl if that makes any sense

Sherbet Head
Konnan wrote:I wonder what Gemini sounds like

my guess is that it's gonna be just a few droney chords
*farts*

idk

Dayvan Cowboy
Anyone else think it sounds quite Orbital-y? (Which is a very good thing).

Sherbet Head
I'd love a super high quality version of this still from the video. For desktop wallpaper/facebook coverpage etc.

Sherbet Head
since it has its own artwork, and it wasn't released with the TH artwork, i'm leaving the album as Reach For The Dead, but chances are ill delete it when TH drops anyway
*farts*

idk

Boqurant
[quote="seanandcandy"]anyone else think it sounds exactly like XYZ
especially the start and the end[/quote]

yes one hundred thousand percent. i thought that about the tokyo preview but now a higher quality version is released, im convinced

Friendly Stranger
Waz wrote: it's like a particularly evil TV ident.

LOL, I'd agree with that, actually. It doesn't sound overly BOC to me, dunno if that's a good or bad thing. But if I had to make a lazy comparison (which I will now do) I'd say it sounds more from TCH era.

Happy Cycler
seanandcandy wrote:

Gemini might have been the teaser
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Posts Quantity
rhysosborne wrote:
seanandcandy wrote:anyone else think it sounds exactly like XYZ
especially the start and the end

yes one hundred thousand percent. i thought that about the tokyo preview but now a higher quality version is released, im convinced

XYZ is one of those tracks that I've largely ignored in the past, I think I've literally only heard it once or twice before. Hearing the new track now, I'm really getting into it. It really does give off the same sort of vibe. It's a mystery to me that BOC never properly released XYZ. I heard that it was on original copies of the Peel Session but was quickly removed from subsequent pressings, a mystery in itself. I wonder how much those first pressings go for?
Last edited by Yeah That's Right on Thu May 23, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
Rodheh wrote:
seanandcandy wrote:

Gemini might have been the teaser

thats what i initially thought, goes for about 3 minutes as well
but i was wrong about Reach For The Dead so ignore me! ha
*farts*

idk

Friendly Stranger
Spirit Fingers wrote:
audiotrack wrote:
Spirit Fingers wrote:
seanandcandy wrote:anyone else think it sounds exactly like XYZ
especially the start and the end

yeah it's definitely related to it. maybe a cousin. a 5d----747 situation.

i can hear farewell fire amongst it...

ha, what if the opening track is a farewell fire reprise? that'd be some phil elverum shit

Microphones reference! Haha, love that guy.

Posts Quantity
qualia wrote:
Spirit Fingers wrote:
qualia wrote:
Spirit Fingers wrote:very very important question here everyone, prepare yourselves.

should I scrobble this as album name 'Reach For the Dead', or put it under 'Tomorrow's Harvest'?

take your time, don't rush this.

i'd say leave the tags intact as they are official... wait until you have the full album to scrobble as TH

But then if if I play this 100+ times between now and the album then that's -100 plays for TH and the whole thing get's skewed!
I am a pathetic husk of a man.

heh! no worries, i am also very conscientious about this type of thing. i like having things tagged properly!

but it is almost always the case (at least in last.fm etiquette) that you should use official tags first, with the exceptions being things like typos or incorrect capitalization. theoretically the just-released MP3 of "Reach For The Dead" won't be bit-for-bit identical to the official album version, so think about it that way if it helps!

you're a wise man, I'll do just that.

when I show my grandchildren my scrobbles in 60 years time and they ask 'pop-pop, why is that album with 1 song called 'Reach For The Dead'?' I can sit them down and say, 'well, it all started on Record Store Day, children. a man had bought a strange record, and we were all very confused'

Posts Quantity
Holy shit - that was epic. Loved the video and that was classic BOC IMO. When it kicked it - my jaw hit the floor.

Didn't listen to any of last nights rips and I'm glad - that was sooooo sweet.

Canny wait for the album
Last edited by Scotronica on Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
The Spaniard wrote:Things to be added to BOC Pages:

In Boards of Canada - Reach for the Dead, go to min. 03:23, you will hear a male voice saying: "Listen".

Regards: The Spaniard.

That's true :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Ohhhh my god guys! I went out for lunch with my roommate and came back to find this. I couldn't be happier. This song is mindblowing, it's what I want and need and comes into my life at the perfect time..the production is off the hook, which I expected no less from Mike and Marcus. Those strings at the end were so fucking beautiful. The percussion elements in general are brilliant. That 'pssshhhoo' noise that sounds like a bicycle pump made me smile, and think of Buckie High. Love the tempo, the beats, the layering and buildup of the track into one glorious BoC-tornado, a la Seven Forty Seven. Also as brilliant is the visuals/video..great care and design was put into it, it's like an acid-washed 1970's view of which BoC is identified with. You could pass it off as found footage to the uninitiated! I especially enjoyed how when the song picked up with more beats halfway thru, the video would 'glitch' or move to some of the beats..the ghosting effects are lovely.

Needless to say, I posit that this album is going to be phenomenal..as I've said before, June 11th cannot come soon enough. 8)
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Sherbet Head
RIGHT, I have listened to it about 8 times in a row now. I must stop myself.

Posts Quantity
I am not impressed. If I wanted Plaid, I'd listen to Plaid. They took 8 years to come up with this? Way to give in to all the whiners who bitched about Campfire Headphase's softer sounds and OMFG guitars!! Back to 2002, I guess.

Dayvan Cowboy
Love that constant droning underneath everything; and then the synth line that, to me, sounds more like their Old Tunes stuff than anything else on the 'main three' albums.

When it all kicks in at about 3 minutes, as well... :D I'm very optimistic, though I think it's not going to make full sense till we hear it in the context of the full album, to be honest.

The Spaniard wrote:Things to be added to BOC Pages:

In Boards of Canada - Reach for the Dead, go to min. 03:23, you will hear a male voice saying: "Listen".

Regards: The Spaniard.

/cheers

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Reach_For_The_ ... .2F_Lyrics

Don't hesitate on editing the bocpages. it's a wiki. free to edit. ;D

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada