02. Reach For The Dead (4:47)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I've always thought of this track as the 'Dayvan Cowboy' of Tomorrow's Harvest, if that makes any sense at all. They seem similar to these ears.

Posts Quantity
The brothers should have called this son "Teach for the Dead" because the voices in my head want me to teach them.

Teach is very similar to Tomorrows Harvest because they both start with the letter T. I don't wanna teach though, it does help me pee.

Boqurant
epic track. what I like about it, especially about this album is how it opens to you if you listen to it on the right time.
I actually love listen to TH at night before going to sleep. And usually setting volume very low. And suprisingly the layers behind the music on this album is opens up to you.

Particullar sound that I notice is sound ( I calling cosmic angels voices) which is starting (obvious part) after that "listen" sample at around 3:33 (times stamped below in the link), BUT this sound starts actually way earlier and it's developing through the whole track, this is actually pretty trippy if you able to catch it

phpBB [media]
Palace Posy

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but the intro of RftD sorta sounds like the opening music for The Killings at Outpost Zeta, which as most of you know is where the Twoism album cover came from.

Friendly Stranger
Josh wrote:
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but the intro of RftD sorta sounds like the opening music for The Killings at Outpost Zeta, which as most of you know is where the Twoism album cover came from.

That, but also this!
phpBB [media]

Now I have to watch tKaOZ.

Dayvan Cowboy
Aesthetikx wrote:
Josh wrote:

That, but also this!
phpBB [media]

The into to The Killings at Outpost Zeta definitely sounds like that introductory segment from come to dust. The warping effect on the sound where it cycles through the midrange.

Dayvan Cowboy
That said, BoC have stated the Come to Dust is a Reprise of RFTD so it could apply in both instances.

Eagle Minded
I haven’t seen this noted before (forgive me if it has), but 44:06 from Live at ATP has a lot of proto-RFTD going on...
phpBB [media]
preparation for a dive.

Eagle Minded
I feel RFTD has a definite Unsolved Mysteries vibe, so I put together this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uElJ9MHQ6zo
I'm now working on a video which will be a selection of scenes from the official RFTD vid with the Unsolved Mysteries theme song, which should go well together too.

btw the theme song always scared the bejesus out of me as a kid.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:
Aesthetikx wrote:
Josh wrote:

That, but also this!
phpBB [media]

The into to The Killings at Outpost Zeta definitely sounds like that introductory segment from come to dust. The warping effect on the sound where it cycles through the midrange.

Ain't it funny how they ended up in "OZ" (Australia) for a little while during the lean years between TCH and TH ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZPnpRj ... B&index=11

Eagle Minded
ZosoCon wrote:I feel RFTD has a definite Unsolved Mysteries vibe, so I put together this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uElJ9MHQ6zo
I'm now working on a video which will be a selection of scenes from the official RFTD vid with the Unsolved Mysteries theme song, which should go well together too.

btw the theme song always scared the bejesus out of me as a kid.

Finished. Unsolved Theme Song with RFTD vid:
https://youtu.be/UT-EoZzWUO0

Sherbet Head
Reach for the drone
Reach for the door
Reach for the thread ( I stole this one )

Thats all I know
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Dayvan Cowboy
I wonder if they are going to touch the same themes on the next album? The topic of human life, death, and afterlife felt so special, that it makes you really think about your life. People come and people are gone. It is so insignificant but also touching at the same time, that it reaches something inside us.

Sherbet Head
I was listening to "Get Together" by the Youngbloods yesterday and at the 3:21-ish mark, there is the almost spoken lyric, "listen". Thought it was interesting obviously and the "listen" in Reach for the Dead comes in very close around 3:23 (or so). And the song (Get Together) itself is about love, fear, life and death, with very fitting lyrics:

Love is but a song to sing
Fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry
Though the bird is on the wing
And you may not know why

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Some may come and some may go
We shall surely pass
When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last
We are but a moment's sunlight
Fading in the grass

If you hear the song I sing
You will understand (listen!)
You hold the key to love and fear
All in your trembling hand
Just one key unlocks them both
It's there at your command

It's crazy how many coincidences lurk around this band. Or perhaps it's just people like me that are crazy. Either way, it's fucking weird sometimes.

Friendly Stranger
How do you think the kick was made on this track? Was it taken from drum machine samples, or did they actually mic up a live kick or both drum machine sample & live layered together? My guess is mainly live sourcing, with the bottom end an electronic drum sample. Would like to hear some of your thoughts.

Dayvan Cowboy
synchrodub wrote:How do you think the kick was made on this track? Was it taken from drum machine samples, or did they actually mic up a live kick or both drum machine sample & live layered together? My guess is mainly live sourcing, with the bottom end an electronic drum sample. Would like to hear some of your thoughts.

I always thought, that this track sound very live. Thos appregios for example, sounds to me like a guitar...Well about the kicks, I remember the day this track was dropped, people were talking about sh101...

Dayvan Cowboy
beutifull, listen
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Thought this was quite similar, both visually and auditory:
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
I don't know if someone mentioned this already, but starting at around 3:49 I hear some sort of knocking or beating that seems to be out of the actual rythm. It goes on for a couple of seconds and then falls into a regular beat that goes with the rest of the track.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada