May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Turbo Moe wrote:
Helicoid wrote:i'm seriously considering pawning my Jupiter-6 to get a plane ride there. Would only be worth it if it was a live show. If its just a listening party I can wait for my vinyl. Not sure I want to risk it.

What has been the setting of previous listening parties? Have they been at normal venue locations? If so, the fact that this event is being held in a little known, remote location hints that it's something more than just a listening party.

I wish I had access to TSA records to see if a one Michael Sandison and Marcus Eoin have recently crossed the US boarder.

Previous listening parties have all been in major cities, NYC, Edinburgh, Tokyo, Paris, Berlin, etc. There has been no official BoC event in any place even close to this remote before.

Boqurant
Moebius wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:
Helicoid wrote:i'm seriously considering pawning my Jupiter-6 to get a plane ride there. Would only be worth it if it was a live show. If its just a listening party I can wait for my vinyl. Not sure I want to risk it.

What has been the setting of previous listening parties? Have they been at normal venue locations? If so, the fact that this event is being held in a little known, remote location hints that it's something more than just a listening party.

I wish I had access to TSA records to see if a one Michael Sandison and Marcus Eoin have recently crossed the US boarder.

Previous listening parties have all been in major cities, NYC, Edinburgh, Tokyo, Paris, Berlin, etc. There has been no official BoC event in any place even close to this remote before.

It's remote but only a couple of hours from LA proper. There's going to be a couple hundred people there at least.

Boqurant
Moebius wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:

Yeah but Daft Punk recently had a launch party in Wee Waa, Australia. Not sure if BoC would like to pull off the same trick a couple weeks later.

http://pitchfork.com/news/50786-watch-d ... australia/

Sherbet Head

Mate, that's a freakin' Jupe 6. The event could be a live gig I suppose, but..that's a beast of a synth and once it's gone, it's gone. Really tough call..

Sherbet Head
jf wrote:
Moebius wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:

Yeah but Daft Punk recently had a launch party in Wee Waa, Australia. Not sure if BoC would like to pull off the same trick a couple weeks later.

The Daft Punk event was officially announced and confirmed weeks before it happened and coincided with a fairly major event already scheduled to occur in the area. The nature of the event (as a listening party, not a live show) was well-described. It's apples and oranges.

Friendly Stranger
Not worth it, I'd say...the Jupiter 6 is just too beautiful, and the chance of a live event too small, for that.

Boqurant
Moebius wrote:
jf wrote:
Moebius wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:

The Daft Punk event was officially announced and confirmed weeks before it happened and coincided with a fairly major event already scheduled to occur in the area. The nature of the event (as a listening party, not a live show) was well-described. It's apples and oranges.

I simply wanted to highlight the fact that a remote location listening session was achievable, pointing to a recent case. That's all.

Daft Punk is a major commercial act. Nobody was expecting anything obscure from them (oh yeah, they wear helmets...). They market their music as a commercial product. No wonder why the nature of their launch party was massively advertised.

For the past weeks, BoC did the exact opposite. They used cryptic messages and very underground PR (not even sure if we can call it that way) techniques. We do understand that, in the past, they never had listening parties in non-major cities. But this whole campaign is so unique that it's totally legitimate to expect anything that could be "outside of the box".

Sherbet Head
jf wrote:
Moebius wrote:
jf wrote:
Moebius wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:

I simply wanted to highlight the fact that a remote location listening session was achievable, pointing to a recent case. That's all.

Daft Punk is a major commercial act. Nobody was expecting anything obscure from them (oh yeah, they wear helmets...). They market their music as a commercial product. No wonder why the nature of their launch party was massively advertised.

For the past weeks, BoC did the exact opposite. They used cryptic messages and very underground PR (not even sure if we can call it that way) techniques. We do understand that, in the past, they never had listening parties in non-major cities. But this whole campaign is so unique that it's totally legitimate to expect anything that could be "outside of the box".

My original post was simply to answer Turbo's question and highlight that a listening party in a location like this would be unprecedented for BoC.

Could it happen? It could... I'm a bit concerned that they are playing with fire for this, though. It is dangerous to raise expectations by posting something like this without being more upfront about what's going to happen. I mean, they know there are fans willing to go to extreme lengths, so could potentially backfire if it's the event ends up not being what people are hoping for.

By contrast, Daft Punk played it safe by confirming clearly outlining what would be happening, so nobody would end up travelling a long distance (at possibly great expense) on false assumptions.
Last edited by Moebius on Mon May 27, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think you guys are absolutely crazy, but good luck on your meetup. If nothing else it will be a great opportunity to hang out with likeminded boc fans and for that alone I'm jealous :P

Friendly Stranger
I'm still holding out for a mileage reimbursement from Warp for the first Yermo trip.

Eagle Minded
Moebius wrote:
jf wrote:
Moebius wrote:
jf wrote:
Moebius wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:

My original post was simply to answer Turbo's question and highlight that a listening party in a location like this would be unprecedented for BoC.

Could it happen? It could... I'm a bit concerned that they are playing with fire for this, though. It is dangerous to raise expectations by posting something like this without being more upfront about what's going to happen. I mean, they know there are fans willing to go to extreme lengths, so could potentially backfire if it's the event ends up not being what people are hoping for.

damn fine point there. gonna go fill up my '95 Tacoma with 387,000 miles on it and drive at 19 miles per gallon for 6 hours tomorrow to go see ??? will cost a hell of a lot more than a good ticket to a show or a rare album but hey, thats the shit! is this not why we are here (are you not entertained!?!?)?

two days from now it will all be history but just like the good people who hustled to Shibuya square, they were part of something special. that works for me.
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Boqurant
Techboy wrote:I think you guys are absolutely crazy, but good luck on your meetup. If nothing else it will be a great opportunity to hang out with likeminded boc fans and for that alone I'm jealous :P

I think just the slight chance of a BoC related event not too far from my home is absolutely worth the trip. :)

Posts Quantity
I think you guys have persuaded me to save my jupiter. I know how valuable it actually is but it is the only real way I would be able to raise that kind of money right now. All of my money is tied up in a business venture right now. Hopefully its just a new vid or a listening party. ill be kicking my own ass for years to come if its a live show. i've always said ill sell my soul to see them live.

Boqurant
Helicoid wrote:I think you guys have persuaded me to save my jupiter. I know how valuable it actually is but it is the only real way I would be able to raise that kind of money right now. All of my money is tied up in a business venture right now. Hopefully its just a new vid or a listening party. ill be kicking my own ass for years to come if its a live show. i've always said ill sell my soul to see them live.

Credit card interest rates are pretty good right now....

Posts Quantity
Helicoid wrote:I think you guys have persuaded me to save my jupiter. I know how valuable it actually is but it is the only real way I would be able to raise that kind of money right now. All of my money is tied up in a business venture right now. Hopefully its just a new vid or a listening party. ill be kicking my own ass for years to come if its a live show. i've always said ill sell my soul to see them live.

Yeah I think I have decided thats just too damn far to go for anything other than an actual show. I am feeling like its just another track reveal. A listening party would be almost worth it for me to go that far but not quite. I feel old tonight. :-)

Boqurant
Could the tweeted date not just mean another track will be released?

Campfire had two teasers if I recall correctly (Oscar & Chromakey.)

The Yermo google map's probably just thematic.

Anyway, all will be revealed in a few hours.

Dayvan Cowboy
The parking lot looks plenty big enough for a gathering. There's a big sign that could double up as a screen

and there's a Coke sign there too ;)

Eagle Minded

hang on to your soul Helicoid. i'm bringing my rig ... if there's a show and they are cool, it will get recorded - video and audio. whatever happens, i will post as soon as i get back. despite you wanting it NOT to happen if you aren't there (and i can understand) - please everyone, pray it DOES happen ... cuz it would just be the most insane thing in a decade and, well, i'll be shooting it!
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Dayvan Cowboy
All talk of a meetup aside, I think what is actually happening here is probably that the song from the video clip played at the festival earlier is going to be played on NPR or something and then released on the website. I reckon the map is just of where the video was filmed, see graphic on bocpages.
A is the drive-in theater.
B is the gas station.
C is the area covered in the tweet regarding May 27th 2013.

Fixed: hotlinking, imgur FTW

Posts Quantity
PlatrixECV wrote:

Credit card interest rates are pretty good right now....

Lol not for me. I'm a student and the best offer i've recieved is 19% apr for a student card. Fuck that. I paid $1100 for my jupiter delivered to my door. I could easily get $2500 right now for it considering its in immaculate condition. Plus i have a pioneer analog reverb that could fetch easily $200 for which i only payed $15. that is the only reason i feel that it would be worth it, because i would get much more than what i paid.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada