May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
Synthetrix wrote:I took this photo of some happy Boccers atop one of the old waterslide towers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... occers.jpg

Me and my girlfriend. Right on thank you

mikektm450 wrote:In honour of a fantastic event and day... here's a lovely desktop wallpaper in a couple of different flavours.

I take no credit for the original image.

Lovely creations. Yours? Or where did you find them?

Eagle Minded
The clouds that rolled in as the afternoon progressed were a welcome relief from the heat and offered some additional visual drama to the event.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... CSKIES.jpg

Eagle Minded
This former snack bar had piles of old straws, cups and smashed boxes of soda syrup inside along with some old broken soda fountain equipment.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... 0Shack.jpg

Boqurant
Synthetrix wrote:The clouds that rolled in as the afternoon progressed were a welcome relief from the heat and offered some additional visual drama to the event.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... CSKIES.jpg

Agree on the subtle shift in the weather. The sun barealy filtering through the clouds was perfect.
Even better was the stunning golden hour / sunset on the drive back to LA through the desert.

What a perfect location/vibe overall.

Eagle Minded
I am pretty tired, so I will post all the pics and some video up later on my site.
Thanks again Warp and BOC for giving us this once in a lifetime opportunity.
Your's truly,

Vic https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41740758/BOCVIC.jpg

Eagle Minded
i dont think ive ever been so envious of someone before

you lucky sob's :)

goddamnit boys, why not have a listening party in canada somewhere? i mean, it does share some responsibility in shaping your sound. at the very least the country is a part of your name!

Boqurant
Here's my notes on the songs/ general review

---
Ok, just got back. Here are my thoughts. In general, awesome experience, the setting was perfect. In honor of Scotland I took a few swills of some Ardbeg (neat). As to the album I would not call BoC going back to a Geogaddi or MhtRtC style, or a combo of th two. It is definitely a logical progression from TCH although primarily from something like Oscar See Through Red Eye. They make dense, layered complex stuff now. The minimalism is gone. In some respects I like hearing their sounds with a chance to breathe. You get a little of that in the ambient interludes. That being said, Tomorrow's Harvest is an intense, detailed great ride. I mentioned earlier there were noticeable elements of extremely vintage synths (think 70s Tangerine Dream (Phaedra) of Jean Michael Jarre's Oxygen). Maybe some Bladerunner sounding Vangelis. John Carpenter has been mentioned. It's all swirling around in there.

I have a video of the first three tracks. I think the sound quality came out pretty good. Trying to figure out how to ujpload it right now.

I took notes on each track.

Gemini, Reach for the Dead, White Cyclosa - you heard them. Gemini was a perfect into track, got me in the proper mindframe for BoC.

Jacquard Causeway - Intense. When the album kicks into high gear. I really dug what I found to be almost jazzy sounding noodling on what may have been a wurlitzer. It gave a lose feel. One of highlights of album for sure.

Telepath - the darking counting voice one. I wrote "unmistakably BoC. Nice interlude track. Keeps mood intense."

Cold Earth - You've heard this one by now. A better track in its full sonic glory. I put this own down as giving me a Vangelis vibe on some of the synths.

Transmisiones Ferox - Psycaedelic, buried vocals, really dark heartbeat style bass pulse.

Sick Times - This one again had an almost jazzy feel with a vintage electric organ or piano sound. Don't know if the beat is the "dopest" but it is a hard kicking break beat. The melody parts give the feel of quick tempo that vaguely reminded me of Poppy Seed. Again with the vintage synths (something close to Oxygene sounding). Another one of the best cuts on the album.

Collapse - This is the one I think might have had a Moog sequencer. It reminded me of Phaedra. Deep track with a great bass line that also functions as a counter melody. Everything from Jacquard Causway to here flowed and was all excellent. As good a stretch as there is on any Boc album IMO.

Palace Posy - This one was a bit eccentric. Vaguely pizzicato string sounding melody.

Split Your Infities - This was my initial favorite track on the album. Swirling melody that morphs into what I wrote was "ominous and joyous at the same time. Holy fuck." All the great elements of a great Boc track and shows how skilled they are in their craft.

Uritual - Buzzy dissosant drone. One of better interludes I can recall and again keeps momentum from Split Your Infities.

Nothing in Real - Treated piano, retro sounding break beat. Nice track I could see this one being popular with the non-diehards but I don't mean that as a slight.

Sundown - Very Boc synth pads, layered again with what I call the ancient analog Vangelic et all sound.

New Seeds - Creates a melody almost out of radio static. After that I thought I heard discernable guitar sound... Sounds like what I know to be called col legno on a violin where you flip the blow and hit the strings with the wood part (used most prominently at the beginning of Holtz's Mars). Keeps buildings and immensely dense. This could be a polarizing track.

Come to Dust - "Eerie with a great laconic break beat." Also a highlight of the album for me.

Semena Mertvykh - This is more or the less the song from the trailer. The static is gone and there is instead a stunning dark and dissonant background noise. It sounds a little bit like the beginning of Metallica's "Damage Inc" (the last seconds before the thrash guitar comes in ) but with a strong helicopter effect. I love the melody of this song. Glad it is on the album. A perfect closer really (as exit music).

I loved the album overall. Where it rates in the context of their catalog? No idea at this point. Really glad to have the experienence of the build up and then the surprise listening party. Def treat for US fans. There were probably 100 people there, some came from as far as Arizona.

Posts Quantity
PlatrixECV wrote:Here's my notes on the songs/ general review

---
Ok, just got back. Here are my thoughts. In general, awesome experience, the setting was perfect. In honor of Scotland I took a few swills of some Ardbeg (neat). As to the album I would not call BoC going back to a Geogaddi or MhtRtC style, or a combo of th two. It is definitely a logical progression from TCH although primarily from something like Oscar See Through Red Eye. They make dense, layered complex stuff now. The minimalism is gone. In some respects I like hearing their sounds with a chance to breathe. You get a little of that in the ambient interludes. That being said, Tomorrow's Harvest is an intense, detailed great ride. I mentioned earlier there were noticeable elements of extremely vintage synths (think 70s Tangerine Dream (Phaedra) of Jean Michael Jarre's Oxygen). Maybe some Bladerunner sounding Vangelis. John Carpenter has been mentioned. It's all swirling around in there.

I have a video of the first three tracks. I think the sound quality came out pretty good. Trying to figure out how to ujpload it right now.

I took notes on each track.

Gemini, Reach for the Dead, White Cyclosa - you heard them. Gemini was a perfect into track, got me in the proper mindframe for BoC.

Jacquard Causeway - Intense. When the album kicks into high gear. I really dug what I found to be almost jazzy sounding noodling on what may have been a wurlitzer. It gave a lose feel. One of highlights of album for sure.

Telepath - the darking counting voice one. I wrote "unmistakably BoC. Nice interlude track. Keeps mood intense."

Cold Earth - You've heard this one by now. A better track in its full sonic glory. I put this own down as giving me a Vangelis vibe on some of the synths.

Transmisiones Ferox - Psycaedelic, buried vocals, really dark heartbeat style bass pulse.

Sick Times - This one again had an almost jazzy feel with a vintage electric organ or piano sound. Don't know if the beat is the "dopest" but it is a hard kicking break beat. The melody parts give the feel of quick tempo that vaguely reminded me of Poppy Seed. Again with the vintage synths (something close to Oxygene sounding). Another one of the best cuts on the album.

Collapse - This is the one I think might have had a Moog sequencer. It reminded me of Phaedra. Deep track with a great bass line that also functions as a counter melody. Everything from Jacquard Causway to here flowed and was all excellent. As good a stretch as there is on any Boc album IMO.

Palace Posy - This one was a bit eccentric. Vaguely pizzicato string sounding melody.

Split Your Infities - This was my initial favorite track on the album. Swirling melody that morphs into what I wrote was "ominous and joyous at the same time. Holy fuck." All the great elements of a great Boc track and shows how skilled they are in their craft.

Uritual - Buzzy dissosant drone. One of better interludes I can recall and again keeps momentum from Split Your Infities.

Nothing in Real - Treated piano, retro sounding break beat. Nice track I could see this one being popular with the non-diehards but I don't mean that as a slight.

Sundown - Very Boc synth pads, layered again with what I call the ancient analog Vangelic et all sound.

New Seeds - Creates a melody almost out of radio static. After that I thought I heard discernable guitar sound... Sounds like what I know to be called col legno on a violin where you flip the blow and hit the strings with the wood part (used most prominently at the beginning of Holtz's Mars). Keeps buildings and immensely dense. This could be a polarizing track.

Come to Dust - "Eerie with a great laconic break beat." Also a highlight of the album for me.

Semena Mertvykh - This is more or the less the song from the trailer. The static is gone and there is instead a stunning dark and dissonant background noise. It sounds a little bit like the beginning of Metallica's "Damage Inc" (the last seconds before the thrash guitar comes in ) but with a strong helicopter effect. I love the melody of this song. Glad it is on the album. A perfect closer really (as exit music).

I loved the album overall. Where it rates in the context of their catalog? No idea at this point. Really glad to have the experienence of the build up and then the surprise listening party. Def treat for US fans. There were probably 100 people there, some came from as far as Arizona.

can you tell which one is this track?
https://vine.co/v/bVlimJ9aTvV

Eagle Minded
great review, cheers for that

so glad to hear that the trailer music is on the album. would have been a shame if it wasnt

Boqurant
'White Cyclosa' is the soundtrack to a film John Carpenter never made. LOVE IT.
twitter.com/rubot

Posts Quantity
It's great to read all these reports from you guys that were actually there. Well done for making the effort, it sounds like such an amazing experience. It was great to watch from my lappy and the build up on here (twoism) was sensational. Can't wait to have my own listening party now!

Friendly Stranger
Fredd-E wrote:
mikektm450 wrote:In honour of a fantastic event and day... here's a lovely desktop wallpaper in a couple of different flavours.

I take no credit for the original image.

Lovely creations. Yours? Or where did you find them?

I made them, yes. The original photo was posted earlier in this thread I believe. Can't remember who by.

Boqurant
bdzz wrote:
can you tell which one is this track?
https://vine.co/v/bVlimJ9aTvV

I think it's Split Your Infinites but I am stating that mostly off checking the time stamps on tonx vine uploads. That one was 16 minutes after (5:10) one that is for sure during Cold Earth (4:54).

Eagle Minded
thinkdontpray wrote:please dont bullshit about the band saying they loved us..please?

thats just incredible if its true. man, what i wouldnt give to see them live. i really want to thank the boys for all this.

a couple of people who know of BoC but not enough to care couldnt understand why i was so psyched about today. i tried to explain that imagine your favorite band who you thought was never going to release a new album and after 7 years of radio silence have come out with this incredible ARG that ignited the fan base and has helped reveal the new record.

they still didnt get it. but i know you guys do.

Josh from WARP showed me the text. That is for real. They had their own camera people and were snapping pix with iPhones to send back to Scotland. The brothers might not have been there, but they were and it seems they liked what they saw. Lots of love in the BOCosphere today!
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

updated: http://bocpages.org/wiki/Tomorrow%27s_Harvest_Viral_Marketing_Campaign#Lake_Dolores

I've added some nice forum posts of some here. Thanks for your detailed insights.

Boqurant
Oh, one other quick note I think New Seeds fades out with the tune that was Cosecha Signal One

Dayvan Cowboy
I just had a very emotional 20 minutes or so, watching the live stream (cutting off at Jacquard, of course!) and reading the posts on this thread alongside it, having everything match up. Gemini nearly gave me tears.

I can't wait until this album drops, and I'm horribly envious of the people that got those posters and stickers.. But I can live with the fact that we'll have this fantastic album, and that, according to Josh from Warp, the band really does love us!

I have never been more excited for anything music-related, and I think it's been a long while since I've been this excited for anything at all..

Thanks for taking me on the ride, even if it was a few hours later. ;)

-Waterbagel

Friendly Stranger
can somebody take some pics of the posters and stickers? please

thanks 8)

Posts Quantity
Before I throw my two cents in, I gotta say something to all those who made the drive today: How good was that shower when you got home? Hope yours was as momentous as mine.

So, today.....

The setting was absolutely perfect. The desert has always been a second home to me, and with the addition of the abandoned water slides, buildings, graffiti, clipped palm trees, staircases, and general post apocalyptic vibe it was just ideal. The strangest part about the location for me was that I remember coming to the park as a kid. As I stood at the top of the now crumbling towers, I vividly recalled being launched down a slithery tube to a pool of blue water below. And now here I was, strolling around the shell of a water park. But for an entirely different reason, and with eyes that have seen a lot since then.

The weather was great, parking plentiful (ha!), and perfect for random photos. I ran into a good friend straight away, who was actually there for a totally unrelated photo shoot! She had no idea about the BOC event until she arrived, but is a fan and stayed for the album premiere. Sawa!

The amount of random stuff strewn about was really cool, I found some kids playing cards, weird old necklaces, and took home a "Welcome to Lake Delores" sign.

Not much to add about the album......it was incredible. The wind and surroundings obviously boosted the experience of hearing it for the first time, but as someone noted already it'll take on different forms the more you listen to it. Headphones will be an entirely different experience, listening in the car, etc. It absolutely shows progression, a palate both familiar and refined. As I heard someone say on the way out, "not as warbly as other albums, but still has that strange and haunting thing going on". Enough beats and atmospheric passages to satisfy fans of all of their work. I loved the silence between tracks, as everyone waited for the next to begin. It was a meaty length (shut up), and I couldn't help wishing for more when it was over. But for some odd reason which I can't explain - it felt kind of final to me. Who knows, this may the last we hear of BOC. More than likely not, but it was a vibe I couldn't help but feel. Hmmmm....

The crew were really nice guys. The dudes who brought out the PA gear used to work with a friend of mine, so we traded a few quick stories about him. And the english guy from Warp, Josh I believe? Nice guy as well, and we talked about how my father mastered the "Broken Drum" remix they did with Beck years ago. Kudos to them for helping bring this day to fruition.

I also talked to the property owner a bit, who said he's planning on re-opening the water park with an added RV park and possibly a motorcross track. Seems far fetched, but who knows? Maybe we won't see it in it's current condition for very long......

I have some pictures I'll post when I get them loaded up, and if anyone is really desperate for a sticker - send me a PM and an address. I have maybe ten I could part with.

More later, I'm fried. This post is gonna look bizarre to me after I get some rest, so excuse the rambling.
Last edited by Group Hex on Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada