May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
chronical wrote:
dubprocess wrote:I have read this board for years but never joined the community... I'm a bit of a low-key kinda guy. :) My gf and I made the journey yesterday to the listening party and were simply blown away by everything. I think I can speak for all of us that live in this area..We were so honored and lucky to have an event like this happen. It was just amazing after all these years of being a BOC fan to come together with all these people to listen to their new album together. I will never forget this event and I want to thank all the amazing people for making it special. Thanks to Warp and BOC for making this thing happen.

On a side note--How many of you guys wondered if BOC was tweaking away at knobs inside that Airstream..one can only dream..haha

n-no secret recordings from the two of you? or at least from the first three songs, seeing as the quality from the stream is pretty horrible..

no..I wanted to simply enjoy the moment. Sorry this just isn't my style...

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:
Synthetrix wrote:Talking to him somewhat confirmed something that I had long believed and that is that people read WAY too much into things like videos and album art, seeing hidden meaning that isn't really there. Even a group like BOC has a record label with a marketing dept that does it's job in creating the hype and image in many ways. Obviously the group would have a lot of input, but looking at all the comments where people imagined Mike and Marcus traveling around the high desert of California makes me chuckle.

I feel the same way, with the videos in particular. I think people want to feel that every sound and image comes directly from them for a couple of reasons. They have such a complete vision of what encompasses their sound, that people assume that extends to the visual realm as well, especially since a lot of their earlier interviews emphasized their interest in visual endeavors, especially with Peter Iain Campbell in the mix.

I'm sure the days of Hexagon Sun "collective" (ie high school friends) are long over (and with it, the emphasis on creating visuals to accompany their music) the same way that everyone starts their own families and spend most of their time with them and on their work (music in this case) - so I didn't really expect them to be major players in the visual aspect of the TH campaign aside from signing off on it. I think if anything, these days the visual stuff is just a hobby to them.

All that aside, I do remember them mentioning in an interview circa TCH that they had been or would soon be living apart outside of Scotland, which was before their location on Facebook/Myspace was set to New Zealand and so on. Just wondering what happened with that, and if they moved back to Scotland to recapture their muse, or if they felt living in a different place for a time would jar their creativity.

Perhaps that is why the album took so long to come out. Maybe they were apart for a while just taking an extended break before resuming creative output. I suspect that we will see some interviews once the album is released and maybe we'll find out what took so long. Hopefully we will not be waiting another 7+ years for the next one.

Dayvan Cowboy
Synthetrix wrote:
Opothecary wrote:It's interesting that the Warp rep claims that the brothers haven't left Scotland in years. I was always under the impression they had gone their separate ways for a period of time after TCH (New Zealand, etc) - I always kind of felt that's what the title "Constants Are Changing" referred to. I hope they grant at least one interview to tie into the TH release where they can at least touch briefly on what they've been up to besides parenthood over the past few years.

Talking to him somewhat confirmed something that I had long believed and that is that people read WAY too much into things like videos and album art, seeing hidden meaning that isn't really there. Even a group like BOC has a record label with a marketing dept that does it's job in creating the hype and image in many ways. Obviously the group would have a lot of input, but looking at all the comments where people imagined Mike and Marcus traveling around the high desert of California makes me chuckle.

The idea that BOC have never driven around southern California is what I find funny. That implies they have never taken a vacation. It doesn't mean they have to camp out in the Mojave and take peyote for weeks on end to figure out what their next album concept will be, much like our imaginative minds would come up with. It has always been and still is my belief that they have visited LA and the surrounding area in the past. Heck, even their MySpace page used to have SoCal as their current location a few years ago. How well does this guy from Warp really know them?

Posts Quantity
Synthetrix wrote:Hopefully we will not be waiting another 7+ years for the next one.
judging from i heard last night, i wouldn't mind waiting another 7+ years. But that's just me :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Synthetrix wrote:Perhaps that is why the album took so long to come out. Maybe they were apart for a while just taking an extended break before resuming creative output. I suspect that we will see some interviews once the album is released and maybe we'll find out what took so long. Hopefully we will not be waiting another 7+ years for the next one.

Ah, found it on bocpages - from the 10/05 issue of The Wire:

It's not as if these two aren't well travelled. Sandison once lived in London for a couple of years; they've lived in Edinburgh itself and, when they decide to take a break from their recording (and each other) to spend time with their partners, they're off travelling on the other side of the world -- Sandison mentions recent trips to France, Australia and New Zealand (where he's thinking of moving), while Eoin's considering a new life in Hong Kong with his Chinese girlfriend. Those are decisions still to be made, as their current live/work set-up is working well for them.

Sherbet Head
Synthetrix wrote:Perhaps that is why the album took so long to come out. Maybe they were apart for a while just taking an extended break before resuming creative output. I suspect that we will see some interviews once the album is released and maybe we'll find out what took so long. Hopefully we will not be waiting another 7+ years for the next one.

Perhaps they still live apart and they have written the album over long distance. It might be why I felt from the first listen of RFTD that the drums felt separate from the main body, like an add on. Also the drums felt insular like the drums were created all together on say a machinedrum and put on the top of the pads etc. Past BoC material felt as though they start with a beat and built loops, samples and synth melodies around the beat and filling each pocket of space with an element making everything have it's place and pop out. The drums on RFTD clash with other other elements in the same stereo space. It's not a bad thing obviously but it's not what you would expect. Things written at different times and places would account for that rather than working on something together until it's complete.
You could feel the bullshit

Sherbet Head
I'd also like to add that after more listens and understanding the drums, mix, production that this could also not be the case haha

Dayvan Cowboy
Assuming the Warp rep knew what he was talking about, they're both supposedly in Scotland now, but who knows. I have a feeling that they probably were focusing on other things for a few years. In retrospect, the Red Moon party sounds like it could have been a goodbye to their old friends for awhile (if the one report is to believed that seems to have vanished into the ether, not the burnt tapes story). I'm the age they were then (35ish) and as my 30s have gone on, I can feel the slide toward domestic stability taking a higher priority over good times with friends.

Sherbet Head
Ditto *not in a Moore, Swayze way*

Posts Quantity
...anyone else stop at that diner a few miles down the road for a bite after? Was a pretty fitting piece of nostalgic americana after the listening.

Dayvan Cowboy
chronical wrote:Oh god, I was up until half past 3 in the morning.. Hey, seeing as BoC told us not to record audio after the first 3 songs - why don't we have good quality recordings of Gemini and White Cyclosa? :?

I'm sure some higher-quality stuff is coming. A couple of people were making posts about having high-quality recordings, but they wouldn't be uploading them for a day or so so that they could get home, get some sleep, and edit the footage tomorrow (which is now today).

Give it some time!

Sherbet Head
soupbandit wrote:-Semena Mertvykh is the track from the Tomorrow's Harvest Transmission.

I knew it! That one reviewer saying airplane noise made me think it was this. Really glad this is in there, I think this song is amazing, but wow, what a heavy ending to the album.

I'm so jealous of all you guys who got to go, but so glad the fans got to have an amazing experience. I like to think you were out there repping for all of us glued to twoism and the live stream last night.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
Label dudes and I also chatted for a bit about the brother's involvement, and the funny "mystique" that's built up around them. They acknowledged that while BOC has obviously injected a healthy dose mystery into their music and public persona, that it has all taken on a life of it's own. The consensus seemed to be that they 100% check in here and elsewhere on the net, just like anyone else. I can almost guarantee that they are reading all of these posts to see how it all went. They obviously prefer a heavy dose of anonymity, privacy, and feel no attraction to being placed on any genius pedestal. When I told Josh that the event had to be exactly what BOC wanted it to be, he told me "we've been sending them pictures and videos all day, and they are really really happy with the setting and the fans that came all the way out here! It's something they would attend for one of their favorite bands, no doubt. If they could break away from all the Satanic rituals and other cult practices, of course!" Regular dudes, remarkable talent.

Also, anyone in the New York area..........

Ummmm........yeah.

:D

Sherbet Head
Um what what what about the new york area? Holy shit, I was just thinking today about the possibility of a nyc listening party. Guhhhhhhhh.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
Well that's certainly closer to me than Yermo, but not close enough. Feh.

Hope everybody had a good time that went. : )

Sherbet Head
Man I might need to make a thread for tristaters to form an emergency action plan just in case. I'm so close (in CT) I'd be absolutely gutted if I missed it.

Posts Quantity
rainier wrote:
soupbandit wrote:-Semena Mertvykh is the track from the Tomorrow's Harvest Transmission.

Really glad this is in there, I think this song is amazing, but wow, what a heavy ending to the album.

there is another ambient piece a few tracks before that is more hopeful/poignant but yes, a brooding end to the album but the right sound for Earth 2013.

Posts Quantity
rainier wrote:

I knew it! That one reviewer saying airplane noise made me think it was this. Really glad this is in there, I think this song is amazing, but wow, what a heavy ending to the album.

It was a really heavy ending, I think as mentioned elsewhere without the static and some deeper undertones, it really hit you in the gut. It also got pretty windy by the end of the listening, so as the song tapered out it blended in to the sound of the gusts going by; pretty perfect actually.

Eagle Minded
chronical wrote:Oh god, I was up until half past 3 in the morning.. Hey, seeing as BoC told us not to record audio after the first 3 songs - why don't we have good quality recordings of Gemini and White Cyclosa? :?

to err on the side of caution, we have what i would call a 'decent' recording: we were battling insane wind gusts (my tripod was shaking so hard i had to hold it) - with some serious frequency variation coming from the PA system, so i played it safe and kept the recording level down. so its lower than i prefer but we got not one pop or wind gust ... which is nice. :)

working on it right now guys - sorry, by the time i transcoded and captured all the day's footage for editing and dropped it into the timeline it was 5am, i just had nothing else left in me so i hit the sack but got back up at 7 and have been at it since.

will have something for you guys as soon as humanly possible!
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Dayvan Cowboy
It would be nice if they did a listening party in CANADA..just saying, y'know :wink:
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada