May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
This twitter post is definitely still fringe... Would they do a TH listening or live set with 20 people standing around drinking tallcans?

Would they?!

Posts Quantity
PlatrixECV wrote:Just joined. I will be going, I've been waiting 15 years for something, anything to do with BoCs local to me. We're probably all getting trolled, but whatever.

And that is going to be *hideous* traffic coming back into LA... you're getting everything coming back from Vegas and Havasu. At least it is an opportunity to eat at the original Del Taco in Barstow.

My thoughts exactly. I've been waiting for ANYTHING within a few hundred miles that's BOC related. When I saw the desert footage, it gave me pause.

The traffic is going to be frighteningly bad, but seeing how this is probably my only chance to be a part of something like this I'm sure it will be worth it. Whatever it is.

Friendly Stranger
Ed209 wrote:This twitter post is definitely still fringe... Would they do a TH listening or live set with 20 people standing around drinking tallcans?

Would they?!

No but maybe they'd Rickroll us! :)

Friendly Stranger
Me, wife, and younger brother will be driving up from Pasadena. Traffic due south is going to be a nightmare afterwards, but shouldn't even be considered given the potential magnitude of this event.

M
"When lava pours out near the sea's surface........BOOM!!!!!!!..........tremendous volcanic explosions sometimes occur."

Posts Quantity
I still can't figure out what's up with this. I am ready to throw caution to the wind and drive 7 hours down there from the SF Bay Area but it would be nice to know what was actually going on there, if anything. That would make 14 hours round trip but I suppose thats doesn't break my record for hours spent travelling to and from a BoC event.. :-)

A listening party would be worth it. It is a long way though. "No, this is quite close."

Kind of thinking out loud here trying to talk myself into this. The clock is ticking.

C

Posts Quantity
Turbo Moe wrote:Me, wife, and younger brother will be driving up from Pasadena. Traffic due south is going to be a nightmare afterwards, but shouldn't even be considered given the potential magnitude of this event.

M

Out of curiosity, when are you thinking of leaving? I'm a bit north west of you, Santa Clarita to be exact.

Boqurant
herxagernsurn wrote:I still can't figure out what's up with this. I am ready to throw caution to the wind and drive 7 hours down there from the SF Bay Area but it would be nice to know what was actually going on there, if anything. That would make 14 hours round trip but I suppose thats doesn't break my record for hours spent travelling to and from a BoC event.. :-)

A listening party would be worth it. It is a long way though. "No, this is quite close."

Kind of thinking out loud here trying to talk myself into this. The clock is ticking.

C

I wouldn't count on a full listening party. I am thinking its just going to be one song. Maybe there will be some other cool shit because the location is an abandoned water park and has already had an artistic treatment.

Friendly Stranger
Group Hex wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:Me, wife, and younger brother will be driving up from Pasadena. Traffic due south is going to be a nightmare afterwards, but shouldn't even be considered given the potential magnitude of this event.

M

Out of curiosity, when are you thinking of leaving? I'm a bit north west of you, Santa Clarita to be exact.

Not sure. What would be a good time to head over?

For comparative purposes, how much fanfare accompanied the Tokyo event? Did it constitute a Twitter post with GPS coordinates? Methinks this is something greater than the replay of one song.
"When lava pours out near the sea's surface........BOOM!!!!!!!..........tremendous volcanic explosions sometimes occur."

Boqurant
Turbo Moe wrote:
Group Hex wrote:

M

Not sure. What would be a good time to head over?

For comparative purposes, how much fanfare accompanied the Tokyo event? Did it constitute a Twitter post with GPS coordinates? Methinks this is something greater than the replay of one song.

Tokyo was really similar- a date, time and address. Messages from various places including the BoC twitter which stated:

"May 22nd 24:00 @ 1-23-10 Jinnan Shibuya-ku Tokyo"

For comparison this one they tweeted:

"May 27th 17:00 PDT - http://media.warp.net/images/5-27-13-1700.jpg …"

Posts Quantity
but the Tokyo thing didn't require people to drive out to the middle of nowhere. there are more hoops for people to jump through this time around, which is why i think the rewards will be greater.

Eagle Minded
it will be a bit of a bummer if instead of having a nice BBQ with my sane friends, I'm spending all day in holiday nightmare traffic to get a short burst of sound or video that the rest of the world will get a half day later. I somehow doubt they'd set up something that disappointing. we'll see.

I'm going to try and get on the road and to the site early. will post updates to twitter (@tonx) as the adventure progresses and at the very least feel like I'm taking one for the team.

Eagle Minded
chrisrusak wrote:Anyone in the Bay Area interested in heading down? This seems a perfect end to finals and I'm crazy enough right now to rent a car and drive 7 hours to Barstow.

herxagernsurn wrote:I still can't figure out what's up with this. I am ready to throw caution to the wind and drive 7 hours down there from the SF Bay Area but it would be nice to know what was actually going on there, if anything. That would make 14 hours round trip but I suppose thats doesn't break my record for hours spent travelling to and from a BoC event.. :-)

C

ok ... Chris and Herx ... i think i am in. my wife said go for it (she would go herself but she is 7 months pregnant). as much as she too loves BOC, bouncing around in my truck for a dozen hours round trip is not too enticing right now. so ... you two should hook it up in SF and get down the 101 to Salinas where we could meet. i am happy to drive the rest of the way - but i have a Taco/ extra cab - not the roomiest configuration but there is a big fat sub in the back that will, for the ride, be pounding out the BOC catalog - with the occasional Bieber. i kid.

seriously - i think i am in. have no idea what the fuck is happening right now but as my wife and i were talking this eve i think i convinced myself. our conversation:

listening party in an abandoned amusement park? hmm. new video - they already did that. if we review the course of events - its been a sure and steady ramping up. its been 8 years according to some for a 'real release' and it appears thus far they have spared no effort to make this new album a show stopper.

stay with me here - but if i were to blow the fucking doors off the fan-world for those who might be there (or even not - remember how excited we were for our fellow BOCers at Shibuya?) and i seldom made a live appearance, but when i did it was only to an intimate gathering ...

i know this is nucking futs, but i am going out on a limb here and saying this could be it. where in hell else do you play a live set BUT in an abandoned amusement park in the middle of nowhere!!! looney? absolutely. even if its a one in a million chance - i'm having a dumb and dumber moment "so you're saying there's a chance!?!"

here's what keeps kicking my ass ... if there's even a 1% chance for a live show and i miss it cuz i didn't want to pay for gas, spend a day on the road, miss 'The View' etc ...then well, i'd be a wanker of a fan at the least and regret just giving up whatever it is the day requires to perhaps be part of something huge. now if i get there and i get a postcard with stickers i'll be 'meh' but know at least i didn't miss the event of the decade. over time i'd forget the gas and the driving day and probably meet some cool new people from this right here place. not bad eh?

the brothers have families and kids and have seemingly gone all out for this one. swan song? maybe/ maybe not - but i don't want to leave anything to chance. anyone from the Bay or south on my way (thinking i-5) PM me - lets exchange info and make this happen. tomorrow will be a good day.

bringing my 5d, h4n, tripod, glidecam, and a sack of lenses. if they allow it - consider it done.
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

New Seed
I bet someone could make a call to the Newberry Springs, CA police department (since city hall won't be open tomorrow due to Memorial Day) and ask if there have been any "public assembly" permits issued. Or you could just chance it and drive to the middle of nowhere.

Do you think they would risk a lawsuit by just randomly throwing a big event in the desert. There has to be a paper trail if there is in fact something going on.

Dayvan Cowboy
I hope there is something waiting for all of those making the trip. I really do. If it's anything like previous trips, at the bare minimum you have the chance of meeting other die-hard fans.

I also hope it's something on-line that I can watch at 7pm my time.

Boqurant
PYITE wrote:I bet someone could make a call to the Newberry Springs, CA police department (since city hall won't be open tomorrow due to Memorial Day) and ask if there have been any "public assembly" permits issued. Or you could just chance it and drive to the middle of nowhere.

Do you think they would risk a lawsuit by just randomly throwing a big event in the desert. There has to be a paper trail if there is in fact something going on.

Newberry Springs barely exists. It is an unincorporated town. You would have to go all the way down to San Bernardino and the County. Everything is closed on Monday as it Memorial Day. I'm sure you could get something shut down if you wanted but even in the US and the People's Republic of California it is relatively easy to stage unpermitted events in the middle of nowhere.

Posts Quantity
i'm seriously considering pawning my Jupiter-6 to get a plane ride there. Would only be worth it if it was a live show. If its just a listening party I can wait for my vinyl. Not sure I want to risk it.

Sherbet Head
Wow. I have been barely been keeping up but this is very interesting... I happen to be visiting San Francisco this weekend, but I am planning to fly back tomorrow. Not that SF is particularly close but it's a lot closer than Chicago is.

I'm not sure I can believe they would play a random show like this, it's so arbitrary... it offends my sense of fairness, almost. Of course I'd go out there anyway if I lived near here, but being on a trip, already having plans... don't think I can swing it. At least, not with more confidence on what might be there.

Anyone got access to an imaging satellite?

Friendly Stranger
Helicoid wrote:i'm seriously considering pawning my Jupiter-6 to get a plane ride there. Would only be worth it if it was a live show. If its just a listening party I can wait for my vinyl. Not sure I want to risk it.

What has been the setting of previous listening parties? Have they been at normal venue locations? If so, the fact that this event is being held in a little known, remote location hints that it's something more than just a listening party.

I wish I had access to TSA records to see if a one Michael Sandison and Marcus Eoin have recently crossed the US boarder.

Boqurant
I think I can report on behalf of anyone in California that has driven to Vegas that this abandoned water park is definitely an interesting landmark on the 15. I am always fascinated by the abandoned structures in the desert and want to hang out take pictures. Actually, the whole Tomorrow's Harvest promotion is full of images anyone in California that has been out to the desert is familiar with. It is very cool. Personally, I think the coolest place they could have shot would been out by the Salton Sea where there is a whole abandoned tourist attraction from many decades ago. The desert is an amazing, trippy, introspective place when its not blazing hot. It's also got a long history in the music out here (read Gram Parsons' biography, or obviously u2).

Posts Quantity
live gig is just not feasible to me. they wouldn't risk their precious gear in the CA desert. unless they've gone all traktor/ableton etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada