May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Nice recap, creativeowlet!

Your experience sounds a lot like mine - I heard about the event the night before, but my girlfriend and I had made plans to go hiking. When we woke up, we deliberated about it for a while and decided to postpone the hike (which was actually for the best because we later found out that a problem with my shoe might have hurt my ankle had we gone).

We got there at about 4:30 after taking a wrong turn onto the dirt road to the monastery. I won't repeat what everyone else has said about how happy and nice everyone seemed, but it was a really awesome environment, both in terms of people and in terms of surroundings. My girlfriend and I sat in the shade before the album because we were too hot to wait in front of the speakers, but when the album started we moved out to the back (Also, sorry for walking in front of the crowd while everyone was waiting, I feel like that might have annoyed people and I didn't think about it until after the fact). I was surprised how loud, and how clear the sound was! We were only in the back because any closer and my ears would have hurt.

Below is my impression of the album

But yeah, I loved the album. I was texting my friend and giving him periodic updates. I lost track of which song was which, but I do remember that my girlfriend and I both liked the second half more. I'm eager for it to come out, if only because a few of those songs I'm really eager to hear again. I can get pretty obsessive about music, so I'll probably listen to those a bunch of times. I just can't remember exactly which ones they were...

End spoiler

We chatted a little bit after the fact. The big posters were snatched up before we could get to them (which was a little disappointing) but we got a couple smaller ones and a sticker. We chatted with Will, the Warp UK guy, who was really nice. We walked around the park and started back after about 20 minutes or so. We had dinner at Peggy Sue's and drove home, still kind of giddy.

It was awesome to be there! It was a really great experience, and a totally fun little last-second adventure for the end of the weekend.

Boqurant
rolandspaceecho wrote:Nice recap, creativeowlet!

We chatted a little bit after the fact. The big posters were snatched up before we could get to them (which was a little disappointing) but we got a couple smaller ones and a sticker. We chatted with Will, the Warp UK guy, who was really nice.

Nice! I never got the scoop on who that guy was. I speculated in my head maybe a friend of the band there to oversee everything on their behalf. I'm glad I know both the warp guys' names now Josh and Will. Really cool dudes.

I'm really sorry the big posters went so quick. I missed the goodies being brought out, and just looked up from my camera at one point to see a swarm of people. When i went up to see what was going on I quickly realized what was happening. The box of big posters appeared to be depleted and I stood around snagging a few stickers for a second before someone reached back into the box and another 10 or so posters appeared out of seemingly nowhere. There was a brief squabble for them and I was able to grab one, luckily. I have a sneaking suspicion many people snagged more than one large poster. What can you do. :? I also got handed a HUGE stack of stickers and was so overwhelmed that I was just handing mini-stacks out to people while imploring them to spread them around and give them out. I hope they did and everyone that wanted a sticker got one. If not, I've got a small handful of extras I plan on giving away at some point soon when I've got a free moment. Will had a small stack of tiny posters left over at the end of the fray iirc. I found that surprising and snagged a few extra for friends and people on here. Afterwards, the people from Warp all went up to the lookout tower and chatted briefly. I desperately wanted to hang out and listen but didn't want to be a bother hanger-oner, so that's when we went to look at the coke sign.

What a day/week/month/existence
Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest - Lake Dolores Listening Party - 5/27/2013 HQ AUDIO http://youtu.be/t6G8gViaoVg

Friendly Stranger
creativeowlet wrote:I'm really sorry the big posters went so quick. I missed the goodies being brought out, and just looked up from my camera at one point to see a swarm of people. When i went up to see what was going on I quickly realized what was happening. The box of big posters appeared to be depleted and I stood around snagging a few stickers for a second before someone reached back into the box and another 10 or so posters appeared out of seemingly nowhere. There was a brief squabble for them and I was able to grab one, luckily. I have a sneaking suspicion many people snagged more than one large poster. What can you do. :? I also got handed a HUGE stack of stickers and was so overwhelmed that I was just handing mini-stacks out to people while imploring them to spread them around and give them out. I hope they did and everyone that wanted a sticker got one.

Oh, ha! I think I think I actually took a sticker from you, or maybe from one of the people you gave a mini stack to. I couldn't tell if you (or whoever it was) were one of the organizers, or a guy who had grabbed a huge stack, so I sort of hesitantly asked if I could take one... I'm still trying to decide where to put the one I got.

My girlfriend got a picture of the swarm of people around the posters, which is actually kind of funny. I was right in front of the person who got the extra posters, but everyone around me grabbed one as I reached out :( Yeah, it was a big box, so I'm sure a few people took more than one. Like I said, I was a little disappointed, but I also don't even know where I would have put a big poster in my apartment (and even finding a spot for the little one has been a challenge), so it's probably for the best. Will's stack of posters looked like it wasn't going to run out, so I took a couple extras, one to give to a guy on Reddit who was really frustrated he couldn't make it, and one to give to a friend on the East Coast.

And yeah, I was chatting with Will, but I was still kind of giddy and I probably sounded like a total spaced-out weirdo, despite being totally sober. I heard someone mention something to him about the Coke sign (and he said something like "yeah, we thought about setting up under the Coke sign, but we thought this was better, etc"), but we looked on our way out and couldn't find it. Where was it?

It's nice to be able to chat about it (you know, forum chat) with other people who were there. Most of my friends are (apparently) not quite as excited about the new album as I am...

Boqurant
rolandspaceecho wrote:Oh, ha! I think I think I actually took a sticker from you, or maybe from one of the people you gave a mini stack to. I couldn't tell if you (or whoever it was) were one of the organizers, or a guy who had grabbed a huge stack, so I sort of hesitantly asked if I could take one... I'm still trying to decide where to put the one I got...

...And yeah, I was chatting with Will, but I was still kind of giddy and I probably sounded like a total spaced-out weirdo, despite being totally sober. I heard someone mention something to him about the Coke sign (and he said something like "yeah, we thought about setting up under the Coke sign, but we thought this was better, etc"), but we looked on our way out and couldn't find it. Where was it?

It's nice to be able to chat about it (you know, forum chat) with other people who were there. Most of my friends are (apparently) not quite as excited about the new album as I am...

Pretty sure that was me! A few people had that response of "may I have a sticker" and my response was something along the lines of "here! Take em! Im not important!"

coke sign was over in "the picnic area" as on this map http://instagram.com/p/Z2Qd4msHHg/

I'm glad they didnt set up under the coke sign. They really did it in the perfect location.
Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest - Lake Dolores Listening Party - 5/27/2013 HQ AUDIO http://youtu.be/t6G8gViaoVg

Dayvan Cowboy
wow, thank you creativeowlet and erryone else for the recap of the listening event. Truly an awesome moment in time for everyone to be alive and (a lucky some) to be a part of. Honestly from what I've gathered/read/seen about the event, this is what music is about. And has always been about. Coming together and enjoying the ride with other people. Music has a really powerful sense of community imbued, and the listening party is a prime example of how it can really bring people together and pull them into an intense and probably awe-inspiring moment. I fucking love these guys and I'm amped to hear the new tunes.

I've been tempted but avoided hearing what's been posted already.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Boqurant
TaoTapeTao wrote:I've been tempted but avoided hearing what's been posted already.

No problem. And really, I understand the desire to wait... but there's only the three tracks, and RFTD is already out, so theres only two new ones, and they're both arguably vignettes. The album picks up immensely at and after jacquard so you're really, really not missing much, fwiw. That said, do NOT watch the Detroit vid (if its still up) Cold Earth deserves so much more than the quality in that thing.

TaoTapeTao wrote:Truly an awesome moment in time for everyone to be alive and (a lucky some) to be a part of. Honestly from what I've gathered/read/seen about the event, this is what music is about... Music has a really powerful sense of community imbued, and the listening party is a prime example of how it can really bring people together and pull them into an intense and probably awe-inspiring moment.

Yes, yes and yes. I feel a very tight bond with a few folks I met that day, and I look forward to strengthening bonds with others who were there whom I had no time to meet. I really want to have a listening party part 2, out in the desert again, with as many of the 5/27/2013 folks as we can muster. It'd be lovely.

Posts Quantity
Hoping the folks I sent stickers to get 'em soon!

New Seed
Group Hex wrote:Hoping the folks I sent stickers to get 'em soon!

Came today! Thanks again!!!! Really wish I could have gone.

And, hello everyone! :D

Posts Quantity
Oh cool! I wish they were a bit better quality, but enjoy anyway.

Eagle Minded
OK here is one last listening party video.
BOC fans descend upon the box of free posters and stickers after the listening party.
I kept the video running as I walked back to my truck and the long drive back to L.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDOt8IRaDls&

Posts Quantity
Group Hex wrote:Hoping the folks I sent stickers to get 'em soon!

Got mine this morning!! Thanks again mate :D Much appreciated!!!

creativeowlet wrote:Thought I'd add my experience on 5/27/13 to the rest.

Nice write-up. I added it to bocpages as well:
http://bocpages.org/wiki/Tomorrow%27s_H ... ativeowlet

Posts Quantity
Entering the domain of the ultra geeky here, but.........

As I walked around the abandoned water park, I came across a lot of odd stuff. A half buried Lake Delores sign. A few stickers, obviously used to label supplies once used to treat the water at the park. And the weirdest one was actually placed on my car when I got back to it at the end of the day, tucked under my windshield wiper. Seems to be from a children's card game, but it has a fitting look for BOC's aesthetic.......

What will I do with this stuff? Who the hell knows, seemed a good idea to bring them home at the time.

Posts Quantity
Group Hex wrote:
What will I do with this stuff?

Put it in your bathroom.

Posts Quantity
The Spaniard wrote:
What will I do with this stuff?

...sending me one of those 2 playing cards!! ^^

Sherbet Head
Group Hex wrote:What will I do with this stuff?

Label your large vats of hydrochloric acid so nobody gets hurt?

Eagle Minded
Group Hex wrote:Entering the domain of the ultra geeky here, but.........

What will I do with this stuff? Who the hell knows, seemed a good idea to bring them home at the time.

this one def goes on your favorite wine decanter that you set on the table at parties.
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Friendly Stranger
Hi everyone! I want to invite So-Cal BoC fans to join a meetup.com group (http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Boards-of-Canada/). It's existed for a few years, but the bulk of the group (myself included) joined the day before/day of the 5/27/13 event. We're trying to organize a few get-togethers in the near future, and the more the merrier!

We'll have a listening party on June 11 at Mount Analog in Highland Park, and if there's enough interest/planning we may try and have a BoC music filled desert camp out in the coming months.

Hope to see you all again/for the first time soon!

Boqurant
Synthetrix wrote:OK here is one last listening party video.
BOC fans descend upon the box of free posters and stickers after the listening party.
I kept the video running as I walked back to my truck and the long drive back to L.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDOt8IRaDls&
I noticed that you walked past the old swimming pools. I wonder if one of those is indeed the one that was used in the Reach For The Dead video. Has there been any confirmation from the director whether part of the video was shot in that area of California?

Boqurant
The live album transmission is filling me with so much emotion. It's hard to believe just about a week ago a bunch of us were out in the middle of nowhere or headed there to hear this. So glad to have shared it with all of you!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada