11. Split Your Infinities (4:28)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
I know what sound you're talking about, but it's actually just the sound of an old radio being tuned. I bought a small portable transistor radio from an estate sale a long time ago, and it made that exact noise from the track when you messed with the dial.

Dayvan Cowboy
ParticleGhost wrote:I know what sound you're talking about, but it's actually just the sound of an old radio being tuned. I bought a small portable transistor radio from an estate sale a long time ago, and it made that exact noise from the track when you messed with the dial.

I was going to say, a lot of sound effects come from radios. What comes to mind is and always was radio tuning when I heard that track, but if the individual sample is split into individual sounds as opposed to the way it is layered over its self on the track, the way in which it is done is pretty identical. it likely isn't the case. Anyway, I wasn't saying that BoC sampled Morrowind, rather that they could have used a sound from an archive also used in that video game.

Dayvan Cowboy
For the record, I despise video games. Anyway, I thought the entire point of that sample was to sound like radio tuning, but that it might have an ulterior origin.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:
ParticleGhost wrote:I know what sound you're talking about, but it's actually just the sound of an old radio being tuned. I bought a small portable transistor radio from an estate sale a long time ago, and it made that exact noise from the track when you messed with the dial.

I was going to say, a lot of sound effects come from radios. What comes to mind is and always was radio tuning when I heard that track, but if the individual sample is split into individual sounds as opposed to the way it is layered over its self on the track, the way in which it is done is pretty identical. it likely isn't the case. Anyway, I wasn't saying that BoC sampled Morrowind, rather that they could have used a sound from an archive also used in that video game.

Guaranteed they use tons of weird shit like that haha although the sample on the song in question is electronic interference from hardware sampled into the rhythm loop

Happy Cycler
Yeah, I cannot see them sampling a modern era video game for a project designed to reflect late 70's / early 80's apocalyptic films and soundtracks. Even if the concept is looking forward into the future. Seems to go against the grain a bit.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:Yeah, I cannot see them sampling a modern era video game for a project designed to reflect late 70's / early 80's apocalyptic films and soundtracks. Even if the concept is looking forward into the future. Seems to go against the grain a bit.

I have a pet theory
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
The gurgled tape decayed voice at the beginning even seems to be saying (not definite) "Video Games" - It sounds like it could be from an advertisement as a name proceeds it, but I can't make it out "Amerilla videogames" or something of that nature. You can hear it in the isolated right channel from the video above.

Nothing Is Real was always about the dark side of virtual reality to me, but it could have multiple meanings and I could be mistaken. Uritual (Being a composite of U Ritual and Virtual) kind of hinted at that. Video game addiction has finally been recognized as a disorder as of late and that is honestly surprising as I thought they would be an effort to severely limit the information the public held on the negative effects.

Eagle Minded
I always imagined this album was done similar to Geogaddi... lots of live takes and also tons of song segments and samples and loops... how there were 600+ song samples for Geogaddi... I am sure they threw in tons of rare samples from unlikely sources

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:I always imagined this album was done similar to Geogaddi... lots of live takes and also tons of song segments and samples and loops... how there were 600+ song samples for Geogaddi... I am sure they threw in tons of rare samples from unlikely sources

I think you are are right there. There is likely a wide variety of samples, from different sources depending on the track and the themes covered by the track.

The video above I made for the opening section of Nothing Is Real finding (near) identical samples when recalling video games I was playing as a child and younger teenager.

Identifying all of the samples in Geogaddi is like astronomy, there is l likely never going to be a point where we say "That's it, we've found everything now" - The same is likely going to apply to TH, albeit with the samples masked really well in some cases.

Sherbet Head
I think that they hid everything far too deeply for us to uncover them, that's if they wanted us to. Why would they mention that there are way more references hidden in TH than any before if they didn't want them to be found?
I think they missed the mark a little on TH.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:I think that they hid everything far too deeply for us to uncover them, that's if they wanted us to. Why would they mention that there are way more references hidden in TH than any before if they didn't want them to be found?
I think they missed the mark a little on TH.

My friends and I, one of whom is a decorated music theory scholar, started to analyze the rhythms, backdrops, processing ques, note progressionals and patterns within.... we, and especially he, were astonished as to how “calculated” this album is.... they did actually achieve some things here that they never did or never touched up on in other releases. Look up the terms “Hemiola”, and “counterpoint” techniques in relation to music theory and melody.... they, at times, achieved what we describe as “creating polyrhythms within polyrhythms within the note progressions, percussions, and melodies and also with ‘achieved dynamics and special hardware processing and techniques”.... I can hear a lot of VHS mastering and sampling as well as unique timing shifts at specific intervals.... I think they were actually “right on the mark” with this album.... they used broabcast vhs process recorders which are also multitrackers and can also have the speed and pitches adjusted manually with a remote or by adjusting the actual motors.... they impart a color that cannot be described unless you try it for yourself.... and that comes from reading TH interviews and also from working with those machines myself.... it is indescribable but yet cannot be mistaken.....

Sherbet Head
That's a different topic altogether though. I'm not saying the album is a flop musically, it's not of course. There may be avidence of many more conscious stabs at musical theory than previous and that's rad. These are not references that we're meant to find like they suggested, if they were, that means they were saying "check us out, we are cleverer at music now bro".
They were suggesting that there are non musical ideas hidden inside, there to decode for the interested. Those are hidden too deep within the sound palette for us to decifer unless they actually pitched them too high above us?

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:That's a different topic altogether though. I'm not saying the album is a flop musically, it's not of course. There may be avidence of many more conscious stabs at musical theory than previous and that's rad. These are not references that we're meant to find like they suggested, if they were, that means they were saying "check us out, we are cleverer at music now bro".
They were suggesting that there are non musical ideas hidden inside, there to decode for the interested. Those are hidden too deep within the sound palette for us to decifer unless they actually pitched them too high above us?

Well, imho, some of the said “subliminals” are also contained in what I had described... I am almost positive there is morse code and other forms of “codex” hidden in the progressions, percussions and rhythms, and the theory itself.... I have read in their interviews that they are very much interested in acquiring and using technology used for the soul purpose of mind manipulation and I feel this album fits that 100%.... although I have yet to master morse code to actually prove anything... it is just my theory from my own experience and from my understanding behind the production and theme from what I have heard and read of this album.

Sherbet Head
I get ya.

Dayvan Cowboy
Next level

also, 2022

Eagle Minded
arvy wrote:Next level

also, 2022

I wasn’t around for the release of Geogaddi, unfortunately, but from what I hear and read about it, seems like that album may also be just as “intricate”.... that one actually intimidates me considering how many song segments they produced... I imagine that album is also chalk full of hidden gems still not found to this day!

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:
arvy wrote:Next level

also, 2022

I wasn’t around for the release of Geogaddi, unfortunately, but from what I hear and read about it, seems like that album may also be just as “intricate”.... that one actually intimidates me considering how many song segments they produced... I imagine that album is also chalk full of hidden gems still not found to this day!

yes. 20th anniversary of Geogaddi. part 2 would be welcome. there's still time to make something new and fresh. possible moving from desolate TH "city on the brink of the collapse". to the jungle. something completely new. like first sacred tree discovered somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I remember reading somewhere that BOC were going through depression during the making of Geogaddi. so their creating process wouldn't be such an easy ride now. no need for an easy rode here.

Dayvan Cowboy
Technology human harvest

virtual spirit

Dayvan Cowboy
This is the most terrifying track on the album. Are humans will be driven to camps like the cattle in the future. Will they eat bugs?

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:This is the most terrifying track on the album. Are humans will be driven to camps like the cattle in the future. Will they eat bugs?

Yes, and yes, it is already well underway. However good mother nature will NOT tolerate the virulent infection to last and will cull, unpleasantly.

Please enjoy your day.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada