11. Split Your Infinities (4:28)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
i think it's clear agriculture is central to the theme of Tomorrow's Harvest... or at least they were thinking about it when naming the album and track titles.

we are all dependent on the food system. and the global food system is truly fooked. it functions in opposition to nature and this has, and will, yield dangerous consequences.

about the bees. i remember in school studying a case where a huge fruit farm in China was going to loose it's harvest because the seasonal bee colony had almost entirely disappeared. they consequently had to pollinate hundreds of thousands of flowers by hand with basically paintbrushes

Friendly Stranger
That chord at 0:30! Absolutely beautiful! The bass drum sound has this brilliant colossal lunging quality to it, reminds me abit of the "Bonds" sample in "Pete Standing Alone". My current favourite :D

Posts Quantity
I don't understand how this album keeps getting described as dark or "scary". To me, this is one of the most, if not the most, accessible official releases from the band. Definitely moody over-all, but that's always been a part of their signature sound.

In regards to 'Split Your Infinities', I love it! Probably not my favourite from the album, but definitely near the top. God, TH is such an amazing, beautiful beast of an album. :D And I only feel it will grow on me with all of its subtle nuances over time.

Sherbet Head
I love this song and I think it may sound a little nuts, but it sounds like the most political to me? I guess it's the "attention attention" thing. And also I just love the shortwave sounding distortion on those vocals aesthetically.

Maybe it's my own bias because it's something hugely important to me that I have a lot of anxiety about, but I am absolutely feeling the theme of agriculture/environmental collapse on this album as well. Glad to hear others felt that too and I wasn't just pulling it out of my butt.

Might start a thread about the album theme in a bit if someone else doesn't. Very curious what other people's take on it is now that we've heard the songs.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Sherbet Head
rainier wrote:I love this song and I think it may sound a little nuts, but it sounds like the most political to me? I guess it's the "attention attention" thing. And also I just love the shortwave sounding distortion on those vocals aesthetically.

Maybe it's my own bias because it's something hugely important to me that I have a lot of anxiety about, but I am absolutely feeling the theme of agriculture/environmental collapse on this album as well. Glad to hear others felt that too and I wasn't just pulling it out of my butt.

Might start a thread about the album theme in a bit if someone else doesn't. Very curious what other people's take on it is now that we've heard the songs.

Yeah in the mean time you can check this for good speculation about the point of view / theme of the album.. and I also provided some insight there:

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/79195-tomo ... is-thread/

Friendly Stranger
Wonder Spunion wrote:
In_The_Annexe wrote:
Wonder Spunion wrote:I think many people who aren't initially blown away are having a hard time adjusting to the vibe of the album. IMO, this album has a different kind of scariness to it than previous ones. I don't even know if I could effectively describe my thoughts on the matter, but this album doesn't have that "shit I'm really high and this is freaking me out" feel. This has a legit freaked out tone to it, and you don't have to be under the influence to feel it. There aren't many warm, fuzzy, nostalgic moments. I don't feel like I'm delving through an emotional past lifetime. It's very sci-fi and futuristic, 1984 and Cold War, while previous albums had The Past Inside the Present. It's deep and psychedelic like previous albums, though. It's still as powerful as everything else BoC has done. It does have its moments that remind me of past tracks, such as Nothing Is Real, but In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country it's not. I see reflections of the current state of global affairs in this album, and the truth is we live in scary times. We have threats of nuclear war again, and we have Monsatan trying to to control the world with deadly GMO seeds in hopes to have the ultimate control over all peoples of the earth. This album speaks that to me through its sound. This album is absolutely brilliant.

glad someone else actually knows what the concept of this album is about. From what I've seen, a lot of people haven't really digested the message yet, they still think it's just another BOC album.

It was mentioned in another thread that the color of the CD is yellow with black letters. Yellow and black, the color of bees. GMO seeds are killing bees rapidly. If the bees die, nothing gets pollinated. If nothing gets pollinated, things will become barren quickly. I'm generalizing. It's much more detailed than this, but this gives more of an idea.

It's like we're nuking the seed's structure. Split your Infinites, indeed.

Posts Quantity
I find much similarity in the beat between this and the Beach at Redpoint. Especially in the hi-hat. Just a different tempo.

Boqurant
That voice is so fucking creepy it rivals Devil is in the Details. I would love to know what it is saying. Is it even possible to decipher anything from it?? I can't make out single word.

Posts Quantity
it's the teensiest bit more audible sped up and with some eqing, but still really hard to hear.
at 2:19 a voice goes "LEVEL EIGHT" i think

Posts Quantity
http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/78341087/file.html

good luck figuring the rest of it out :P

Sherbet Head
Haha euue I was just about to be like "whoa! Cool Icon!" You're the best!

All I can make out is "attention attention" and at one point it says "proceed to". It sounds like a voice that would go off on an emergency system during an evacuation. Then there's another voice that's speaking more naturally and that one is really hard to make out, but I swear I hear it say "I don't want your fucking..." but I can't make it out. Voice sounds really angry.

I've always just kind if accepted the voices in their songs before and if I couldn't understand them no big deal, but on this album I find myself struggling to hear what they're saying because it sounds important. I keep forgetting these are just samples they made and not like, actual people who are warning me of something or need my help. They really created a whole world with this album.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Friendly Stranger
rainier wrote:I've always just kind if accepted the voices in their songs before and if I couldn't understand them no big deal, but on this album I find myself struggling to hear what they're saying because it sounds important. I keep forgetting these are just samples they made and not like, actual people who are warning me of something or need my help. They really created a whole world with this album.

+1

There's an urgency to these voices. Like you, I feel it's important to decipher what is being said! I wonder if the voices on TH such as here and Nothing Is Real seem like this because they are so heavily processed and hard to understand, or if the brothers made them so because they knew the theme of the album would make us feel the need to know what is being said..?

Eagle Minded
This track has just grown and grown on me. That BIG transition-chord, that slinkybumpy groove...mmm

Friendly Stranger
This is indeed a very fine track.

It totally reminds me of "On The Run" from Dark Side Of The Moon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VouHPeO4Gls

Friendly Stranger
Wonder Spunion wrote:I think many people who aren't initially blown away are having a hard time adjusting to the vibe of the album. IMO, this album has a different kind of scariness to it than previous ones. I don't even know if I could effectively describe my thoughts on the matter, but this album doesn't have that "shit I'm really high and this is freaking me out" feel. This has a legit freaked out tone to it, and you don't have to be under the influence to feel it. There aren't many warm, fuzzy, nostalgic moments. I don't feel like I'm delving through an emotional past lifetime. It's very sci-fi and futuristic, 1984 and Cold War, while previous albums had The Past Inside the Present. It's deep and psychedelic like previous albums, though. It's still as powerful as everything else BoC has done. It does have its moments that remind me of past tracks, such as Nothing Is Real, but In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country it's not. I see reflections of the current state of global affairs in this album, and the truth is we live in scary times. We have threats of nuclear war again, and we have Monsatan trying to to control the world with deadly GMO seeds in hopes to have the ultimate control over all peoples of the earth. This album speaks that to me through its sound. This album is absolutely brilliant.

I definitely agree overall. I do think that there are several moments on the album which strongly evoke a nostalgic feel for me (i.e. the end of New Seeds, or Nothing is Real), and those are some of its standout moments, but they're more like the icing on the cake of this ode to the apocalypse; this time, instead of remembering our bygone childhoods, it's like they're invoking nostalgia for the lost innocence of our species.

Posts Quantity
Reminds me of an alternate setting in a parallel space. Another track that makes me find what I'm looking for but doesn't tell me where or what it is-- the imagination gets a wonderful workout. The emotions (as with so many of their songs) I feel are so finely balanced, making nothing too obvious, swaying ever so gently, but always balancing.

Another beautiful chapter from a masterpiece of a philosophical novel which has me constantly flipping back through the pages and consistently finding something I missed, something I misunderstood, something to re-think.

My newest favourite off of TH, the fourth one so far.

Posts Quantity
naicob wrote:Reminds me of an alternate setting in a parallel space.

i really get this feeling from this track -- it makes me think of some sort of 80s sci-fi horror thing where they accidentally open some portal thru the multiverse, and there's some big swirling vortex you can only partly see and hear thru... there's something ambiguously malevolent on the other side, just now noticing this side

Posts Quantity
I feel like there's some video game or movie I've seen where that happens and everything goes to hell

Boqurant
euue wrote:http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/78341087/file.html

good luck figuring the rest of it out :P

Weird, to me that snippet sounds like it's saying "Go Back".. but in an aggressive kind of tone.

Dayvan Cowboy
That arping melody is one of the many things I find amazing about this track :roll:
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada